Please check out the sentence

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:23 pm
Our economic expansion has realized the transition from quantitative change to qulitative change.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,146 • Replies: 16
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
With the economic expansion the transition from quantitative
to qualitiatve was made.

Transition is latin and means "change" therefore no need to implement
it three times in just a short sentence. Wink
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:07 pm
Cool! CalamityJame!

How about putting a comma in your sentence?

With the economic expansion, the transition from quantitative to qualitiatve was made.

I feel with the comma a reader would read it more easily.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:07 pm
Cool! CalamityJame!

How about putting a comma into your sentence?

With the economic expansion, the transition from quantitative to qualitiatve was made.

I feel with the comma a reader would read it more easily, at least for me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
You're absolutely right! Wink
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
Quote:
Transition is latin and means "change" therefore no need to implement
it three times in just a short sentence.

It depends on what he is trying to say, your re-write has a completely different meaning...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
stuh505, how would you interpret the first sentence, or better yet
write it?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
Yes Stuh, please rewrite it.

Because what I understood now is that CalamityJame's rewriting is as the same as mine in sentence meaning.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:00 pm
Hmm... I got what Stuh meant now.

Okay, how about:

The transition of economic development, from quantitative to qualitative, will be made.

(Of course, i've absorbed what CJ wrote)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
Sounds good to me. :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
Quote:
Our economic expansion has realized the transition from quantitative change to qulitative change.

This sentence refers to the subject of a previous sentence, and has no meaning by itself. We do not actually know what is being changed in this sentence.

What we do know is that there used to be a change in the quantity of something, and now there is a change in the quality of that something.

I do not think this is what you meant to say, however.

Quote:
With the economic expansion the transition from quantitative
to qualitiatve was made.

This sentence also refers to the subject of a previous sentence.

This means that something used to have to do with quantity, and now it has to do with quality.

This is more likely what you meant to say.

Quote:
The transition of economic development, from quantitative to qualitative, will be made.

This is completely different from either of the previous two. Not only is it now in future tense instead of past tense, but it does not rely on any previous sentences, and the meaning is different.

This means that sometime in the future, the economic development will manifest itself in the form of increases in quality rather than increases in quantity.

This doesn't make much sense since the economy is measured quantitatively, so any change in the economy must also be measured quantitatively.

I cannot rewrite your sentence properly for you, because I have not the slightest idea what you are trying to say...all of these sentences mean different things so I don't know which one it is that you really mean.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:33 pm
Okay, what you said sounds reasonable, Stuh.

But, please read this:

There was once a small factory that manufactured soaps. Originally, the factory had no machine, and all works should be done by hand. Of course, the more soaps they made, the more money they made, too. But the more soaps they wanted to make, the more employees the factory needed. That is, the factory's economic develpment was simply relied on the quantitative development. But finally, the boss of the factory has made enough money. The boss decided to buy automatic machines, and most of the employees were unemployed hence. However, the quality of the factory's economic development has been changed -- that is, the transition of the factory's economic development, from quantitative to qualitative, was made.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
Just to be argumentative -- I'm not going to pester my friend the economics student with this -- but since you can make more soaps with automatic equipment, isn't that quantitative? In terms of the FACTORY'S economic development, not the people who lost their jobs...

And who's to say that the handmade soaps weren't higher in quality?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:00 pm
oristar, I do not think the words qualitative or quantitative make any sense in this context
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:48 pm
Does this make sense?

'Our economic growth has realized the transition from quantitative to qualitative change.' (By MM)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:54 pm
Hi Wy,

If the factory manufactured "circuit boards", not soaps? You know the main board of a computer, the board now has to be manufactured with electronic robots.
0 Replies