what does it all mean?

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Hey everyone. I am kinda bumned out and could use some advice or just a good ear. This year hasn't been so great for me. The bad seem to surpass the good but the good should be the thing that keeps me together..its just not working out that way.
I quit my job at the beginning of the year. I had been working there for 3 years and was tired of getting complaints from the customers. I decided that retail wasn't for me. My boss also was an ass whole and treated me like one too. I also was moving from that area to about 30 minutes away. So the bad out weighed the good and I got the hell out of there. Well everything seemed to be going my way until I couldn't get a job anywhere, and the jobs that I did get only lasted a week or so. I seemed to be running into a stream of bad luck.
As it started to get closer to the end of the summer, no job would hire me because I was going to be getting married in July and no one could garuntee time off for a honeymoon so shortly after I had been hired. My husband (fiance at the time) started to get really frustrated with me and money started to become more of an issue. He started to call me a dead beat telling me that all I did was sit around the house and do nothing which wasn't true.
I scrambled to find any job that I could to please him. It had been 6 months since I had had a job and he had been working full time over the summer to support us. God knows how many interviews I went to. Each one was just that much more dissapointing from the last. I got a call back from this veterinary hospital working at the front desk as a receptionist. This was perfect because I love animals. They called me all the way down and I started my training. I was for sure I was going to get this job when the lady told me that she couldn't work around my school schedule. Once again I was out of a job. Someone finally called me back...but unfortunatly...it was retail again. So once again I had to forfit my happiness to appease someone else. Retail is just one step over the fast food chains. So I decided to take the job. I knew I would be miserable, but it would make my husband happy so I did it.
They told me that I could start training that week. As it turns out, the animal clinic had a change of heart and said that they desperatly needed me.
I was way excited. I totally got the job I had been waiting for. I called back the retail place and said in a nicer way "sorry suckers" and took the job as the receptionist. Things were going my way.
So I got fired today. I have been in the job for a week and a half and I got screwed out of my job. My supervisor told me yesturday that I could have the rest of the day off because things were going slow. She talked to my manager and my manager said no problem. Apparently my manager thought it was my idea to have the rest of the day off and told me that that was unacceptable and fired me. Even though I tried to tell her what my supervisor told me to do, she didn't believe me and fired me anyway.
Thats the second time that I have been screwed out of a job. The first time was when I was working as a receptionist in a law firm. Big mistake. One of the lawyers decided he didn't like the way I answerd the phone so he told my boss a whole bunch of bad things about me behind my back and I got fired the next day.
Is it just me or does the world hate me? Is this a sign that I should just not be a receptionist or what? I have to have a job but how do I get a job and be happy at the same time, and most importantly, keep it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 10
No top replies

pdbowers

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:23 pm
I know you probably won't be able to see this in your own writing, but your attitude is the pits. Reading your rambling, I am under the impression that you think the world owes you something. Well, the sad thing is, things will not improve for you until you get that chip off your shoulder, and take some real responsibility for yourself.

Another thing not in your favor at the moment is youth, and that is not saying that all young people are as negative and irresponsible as you are. There are many fine young people who will read your post, and wince, just like I did.

I know you will not believe anything anyone says, but there will come a time when you really hit bottom. When that happens, and when you can finally accept that you are responsible for your own situation, will things really begin to improve.

If you are looking for sympathy, I am afraid that will not be too forthcoming here. The good news is that the longer you live and learn, the better prepared you will become for more of those life lessons.

You have heard the old saying: "Opinions Are Like A**holes....every body has one" is certainly true. Simply my perception of your situation. Good luck to you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:28 pm
Actually, the world doesn't hate you. It just couldn't give a flying f*ck.

Once you realize this, you will be happier. No, I take that back. You will still be unhappy, but at least you will be able to focus your energies on the positive, namely, that you will die someday.

Feeling better yet?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
you'll have to excuse Kicky, he's approaching 40 and a mid life crisis. Hang in there kitten.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
Um...wow. I should have told a little bit more about myself before writing this post. Maybe I should explain a little bit better. The reason I might sound that way is not because I think the world owes me anything, but because I just got fired a few hours ago and had to come home to face my husband. I wasn't pissed off that I lost my job, I was deeply depressed. I don't think that anyone owes me anything at all, thats not how I am at all. I just think I am running into some bad luck here. I also wasn't really looking for sympathy, just someone to vent to. I figured I could say how I felt here and there would be someone that would be able to understand me, I didn't think I was making other people mad. Sorry everyone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:42 pm
You didn't make me mad at all. I hope you are feeling better.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:51 am
expectations
Quote:
As it started to get closer to the end of the summer, no job would hire me because I was going to be getting married in July and no one could garuntee time off for a honeymoon so shortly after I had been hired. My husband (fiance at the time) started to get really frustrated with me and money started to become more of an issue. He started to call me a dead beat telling me that all I did was sit around the house and do nothing which wasn't true.

I scrambled to find any job that I could to please him. It had been 6 months since I had had a job and he had been working full time over the summer to support us.

When money is tight, it puts an enormous strain on the relationship when one of the spouses is unemployed. I don't think it was appropriate for your fiance (now husband) to call you a "dead beat" because name-calling is hurtful. On the other hand, if money was an issue, the two of you should have agreed to postpone your honeymoon in order to eliminate the barrier to your employment.

That is the past. You can't do anything about the past. You are married now. The honeymoon is no longer a barrier. After 6 months of unemployment, you found a job. You worked a week and a half, but you were fired today. Here's what you said:

Quote:
So I got fired today. I have been in the job for a week and a half and I got screwed out of my job. My supervisor told me yesturday that I could have the rest of the day off because things were going slow. She talked to my manager and my manager said no problem. Apparently my manager thought it was my idea to have the rest of the day off and told me that that was unacceptable and fired me. Even though I tried to tell her what my supervisor told me to do, she didn't believe me and fired me anyway.

Thats the second time that I have been screwed out of a job. The first time was when I was working as a receptionist in a law firm. Big mistake. One of the lawyers decided he didn't like the way I answerd the phone so he told my boss a whole bunch of bad things about me behind my back and I got fired the next day.

Is it just me or does the world hate me? Is this a sign that I should just not be a receptionist or what? I have to have a job but how do I get a job and be happy at the same time, and most importantly, keep it?

From your own experience, you know you went on multiple job interviews over a period of 6 months and that you were repeatedly rejected. You held your receptionist job at the vet clinic for less than two weeks. You were also fired from your receptionist job at the law office. Obviously, there is something amiss in the manner in which you present yourself or conduct yourself on the job.

You weren't screwed out of either job. Although you have been fired twice, it serves little purpose to place the blame on your employer and claim that you were screwed. As difficult as it may be, you need to engage in serious self-assessment. You must evaluate the manner in which you present yourself to others.

The world does not hate you. The world doesn't owe you anything and it is not depriving you of anything you're entitled to have. Your former employers do not owe you anything either. Your employers are in business for profit and they will only keep you and pay you wages so long as you remain an asset to their businesses.

How can you present yourself as an ASSET to a potential employer? You must develop a strong work ethic. You must continuously keep busy and consistently give your employer value in exchange for the wages paid to you. You must present yourself as competent, loyal, and eager to put in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Apparently, your last employer did not see these essential qualities in you. Your employer determined that you really didn't want to be there, but you were only putting in whatever necessary time you had to invest to collect a paycheck. Maybe that's not the impression you thought you were making, but that's the impression your employer had and the one that prompted the decision to fire you.

Tomorrow and over the weekend, spend as much time online or in the library and research and learn about interviewing techniques and employer expectations. Give yourself an honest assessment and figure out what YOU need to do to sell yourself better at job interviews and how to keep a job once you've been employed. Reenter the job market on Monday morning with a renewed sense of self and vigor. Maintain a positive attitude. Don't tell prospective employers what you can't do for them (I can't work these hours; I can't work these days, etc.)--tell them what you CAN do for them (I can be flexible; I can change my school schedule to fit YOUR needs, etc.)

You can do it! You can get a job, you can keep a job, and you can be happy!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:16 pm
The life and times of kit-kat bar. The picture is crystal clear, isn't it?

One day, she will get help. Or not and suddenly, we will notice she isn't posting anymore. It won't be hard to figure out what likely happened to her.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:25 pm
Wow, Debra, you are a great motivator! kit-kat, that was kick-kass advice.

I loved the book "What color is your parachute" so much that I bought a copy. It's a good reference for everything-job.

Ya really got to think of it like this Kit: Finding a job IS your job.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:44 pm
flushd wrote:
Wow, Debra, you are a great motivator! kit-kat, that was kick-kass advice.

I loved the book "What color is your parachute" so much that I bought a copy. It's a good reference for everything-job.

Ya really got to think of it like this Kit: Finding a job IS your job.

In her case, her employment problems are only a symptom of a deeper malady.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:57 pm
Yupper skipper Roxx. btw: that avatar you have right now is great. It's my favorite of the ones you've had.
0 Replies