10 more hours: the countdown begins.

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:02 am
What do you hope to see happen during the 90 minute debate?

I want Bush to implode and Kerry to look more presidential than a senator from Massachussetts has in the past 40 years...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
As I posted elsewhere, I hope Georgepuppet's wire breaks tonight and he throws a tantrum.

It wouldn't hurt if Kerry could cultivate a little charisma, charm, personality.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:16 am
I would love to see an implosion.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
I hope to see the Yankees go up by 4 or 5 runs on Pedro.

If you need to wathc this debate to come up with a choice, then there is no hope for you. If you want to watch for the entertainment value, TRUST ME, the Yanks / Sox Game will be more interesting.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:38 am
Re: 8.5 more hours: the countdown continues.
princesspupule wrote:
What do you hope to see happen during the 90 minute debate?

I want Bush to offer these 3 items up as 3 recent mistakes: a reasonable explanation for the bulges appearing in photos of his back and an explanation for why it was denied to be anything. I want him to admit that he made a mistake jumping up at the last moderator like he did. I want him to admit that he was wrong to not come up with even one mistake.

I want to see Kerry himself frisk the president at the start of the debate, but it to look like just a friendly greeting, natch. Wink Very diplomatic, not obvious... Laughing
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
About 5 more hours, now...
I'd like Bush to field some of these questions:
http://www.alternet.org/election04/20156/
Quote:
1. The budget deficit this year is estimated at more than $420 billion, the highest in American history and equal to more than $2,500 for every full-time working taxpayer in the country. In 2000, when the country was running a surplus, you said we had to cut taxes because those surpluses were "the people's money." By that logic, aren't the current deficits "the people's deficits," and if not, whose deficits are they and how will we pay them down?

2. A third of America's children today live below the poverty line. Do you consider this a problem, and if so, what specifically are you doing to solve it?

3. You say you're against big government, and yet you supported a farm bill in 2002 that expanded farm subsidies by roughly $130 billion over the next decade. How do you rectify your defense of small government with your advocacy for expanding farm subsidies?

4. You supported income tax cuts instead of cutting the payroll tax, the direct tax on labor. If lowering taxes on something creates more of that thing, why not advocate lowering the payroll tax on work to generate more jobs instead of cutting taxes on wealth like for inheritances, luxury items, capital gains and dividends?

5. You say you favor free and open markets, but you oppose allowing Americans to re-import identical, but much cheaper prescription drugs from Canada, something two Republican governors from Canadian-bordering states have openly advocated. Why shouldn't Americans be allowed to by cheaper drugs from Canada or online?

6. You point to new home ownership as an indication that the economy is improving. What specific policies did you enact that spurred greater home ownership rates?

7. We have the highest trade deficit in American history. Are you worried about it, why or why not, and what do you plan to do about it?

8. Earlier this year you announced aspirations to send Americans to the moon and, from there, on to Mars, yet you have hardly mentioned this space initiative since. Do you still want to pursue plans to go to the moon and Mars, and how much should America invest in this plan?

9. You initially said you opposed both of the affirmative action claims in the two University of Michigan cases from 2003. The Supreme Court rendered a split decision, upholding the use of affirmative action in one case and rejecting it in the other - and your administration then said it agreed with the split ruling. Can you clarify your switch on this issue?

10. What's your position on illegal immigration? Should Mexicans who came illegally across our southern border years ago, and who have lived and worked and paid taxes here, be given amnesty or sent back to Mexico?

11. You have proposed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Do you know personally any homosexuals, as either friends or colleagues or staff members? If yes, how would you explain to them your support for this amendment? If not, how would you explain to a gay person your support for this amendment?

12. You oppose abortion. If re-elected, will you advocate for a constitutional amendment to ban abortion? Would you state for the record, yes or no: do you support overturning Roe v. Wade?

13. Critics say the No Child Left Behind Act only tells us what we already know - which schools are failing and which are not. Should the federal government be spending billions to test, rather than remediate the problems in schools such as declining infrastructures, outdated books and materials, and underpaid teachers?

14. Critics, including Sen. Kerry, say your administration has underfunded the No Child Left Behind Act by billions of dollars. Is this program a success, and if so, why not fully fund it or even dedicate more money to it?

15. Your vice president, Dick Cheney, led an energy task force to study energy options. Critics complain that the task force operated in secrecy, and that it was dominated by energy executives. First, should task forces operate in public view? And, second what specific recommendations from the Cheney task force will help solve America's energy crisis?

16. You said four years ago that Christ was your favorite philosopher. Among mortals, is there a political leader, poet, revolutionary or other person whose writings or actions you greatly admire?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
This debate, the final one, is supposed to be on domestic issues. But I foresee Mr Bush turning every question/ issue around to the war on tourism, I mean terrorism.
BTW, the tax bill approved by Congress yesterday and on its way to the Oval Office gives something like a 3 million dollar tax break to the Richmond Speedway (NASCAR) in my state of VA. I don't fault Mr Bush for all of the pork in the bill; Repubs and Dems share equally in this travesty that will cost the rest of us some $100 billion over the next 10 years. Thanks, Congress, for this "tax reform."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:16 pm
I would like to see Kerry cleverly, subtly and carefully taunt bush until he loses control and makes a complete asswipe of himself....seal the deal.....and then I'd like to see that freakin' Ginsberg who sits on the msnbc panel try to spin it.....then I'd like to see Ann Coulter get bent over the table by Al Sharpton.....
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:58 pm
3 more hours to showtime...
I'm hoping Kerry doesn't alienate people talking too long about the "Orwellian names," such as "Clear Skies," and what was the forest one? I hope he calls Bush on changing policy that carbon dioxide is a pollutant.

I hope Bush admits he was wrong, about one thing, anything at all, just for once...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
.....then I'd like to see Ann Coulter get bent over the table by Al Sharpton.....

I'm typically asleep by 10 pm but I'll try to stay awake tonight for an extra hour.
0 Replies