My cat disappeared

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:53 pm
We adopted a very shy cat about four weeks ago. About 3 days she randomly disappeared and I'm not really sure what to do. She hasn't come back for food or water, or used her litter box, or anything. All the doors and windows were closed when she disappeared so i figure she might be somewhere in the house? I put out some food in the Garage and it wasn't touched at all. I'm afraid if she's outside she would be freezing as it is raining and extremely windy right now. I put up flyers and have called local shelters hoping I can get a call back because she does have a chip. This is my first time having a cat so I'm freaking out and I'm not sure what to do. I miss her and I hope she comes back because I love that cat to death.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,708 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 12:31 am
@zznogickin,
It's certainly possible she's in the house somewhere. Three days is a long time to pull this trick after being there for four weeks, but it's possible. If she has been an indoor/outdoor cat, she might also come back. Three days is a long time for this kind of thing, but it's definitely possible.

Good luck.
Seizan

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 03:25 am
@zznogickin,
Not knowing what your house is like, have you checked behind everything in the basement (or cellar), each closet, under each bed and behind shoes, boxes, under the sink (kitchen cupboards), chests or trunks that might have been open when she disappeared (she might be locked inside), behind the piano (if you have one), behind the entertainment center, fridge, stove (warm back there), etc.?

In, under, around, and inside of everything conceivable in which a cat might hide or be trapped. There have been stories of cats living inside the couch for weeks without being discovered.

Also, cats are notoriously quick and can escape the house between your one-two strides it take to get out the door, and you don't even see them...! Ours play this trick on us at time. She may have gotten out. "All the doors and windows were closed when she disappeared" only means that everything was closed at the time you determined she was missing...

How old is she? If she's old enough to go into heat, she might be out seeking a mate. 4 weeks isn't much time to remember where your house is if she's only been indoors all that time, but if she's mating, she might return.

Be sure to check around the neighborhood calling her name often, if she's accustomed to hearing her name and your voice. With your neighbor's permission, check under and around everything, she could be living under a porch or in a dust bin, or hiding in a neighbor's garage.

Meanwhile, if you believe she is in the house and is free to move about as she likes, leave food, water, and a litter box inside where she can use it, as well as in the garage.

If she returns, please let readers know, and how she turned up (where she was, etc.).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:00 am
Cats often find more than one home, they are not like dogs. The owner thinks the cat is "missing" but the cat knows where it is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:01 am
@roger,
It is possible, I've had cats disappear for three/four days at a stretch only to come back. One disappeared for a week and only came back when I'd given up hope. Then there's people who just feed extra cats. I have a friend does that, she has one cat, but about four or five other neighbouring cats pop over for extra dinner. I know she shouldn't do it, I'd certainly be very angry if someone else was feeding my cats, but I don't feel up for a massive argument.

If, hopefully, the cat does come back then make a real fuss of it.
contrex

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I know she shouldn't do it, I'd certainly be very angry if someone else was feeding my cats, but I don't feel up for a massive argument.

There was a cat called Elvis in our street, he got fed in about 6 houses, his owner was cheerful about it. "He knows what he's doing", she told me. He was quite a character. Once my wife was sick with a tummy bug and went to bed feeling like death. He got in through a window and went and lay on her bed "nursing" her as she called it. He thought he was a person, I'm sure. he would jump up onto wheely bins so he could look people in the face and "speak" to them. I once had a conversation with him.

Hello Elvis - meow.
How are you today? - meow.
Got any plans? - meow.
Fancy a saucer of milk? - meow!

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:24 am
@contrex,
My cats, (Vic and Bob.) are very friendly, disarmingly so. A friend once came over, went to stroke Vic but recoiled when he mewed loudly. She thought he was warning her, but he was just saying hello.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 05:29 am
Once when there was scaffolding on a house, Elvis explored it and I saw him running down the ladder head first, using his tail to curl around the rungs to steady himself, like a monkey.
0 Replies

Skeleton

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 01:15 am
If you're sure the cat didn't get out of the house, it's just very good at hide and seek.

Some cats like to get out and about and they do disappear for a while. Maybe the cat doesn't see you as its owner but it might come back for cuddles and catfood. I have some friends with that situation. Sometimes they don't see the cat for a week.
0 Replies