Donald Trump's Family Hid German Roots-Especially When selling to Jews

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:49 am
Donald Trump’s Family Hid German Roots — Especially When Selling to Jews
By Ari Feldman
August 23, 2016

The Trump family consistently hid its German ancestry from customers and investors when it was building its New York real estate empire in the post-World War II era, according to an article in The New York Times.

After the death of Friedrich Trump — Donald’s grandfather — the family regularly claimed that it hailed from Sweden, and not Kallstadt, a small town near the German border with France, the paper reported.

Due to widespread hatred of Germans of America in the postwar period, Fred Trump — Donald’s father — didn’t mention that Friedrich was not only born in Germany, but had attempted to regain his citizenship in 1904, two decades after emigrating.

“I told Donald,” said John Walter, Donald’s cousin and the family historian, that “if Friedrich got his citizenship back, we wouldn’t be here.”

When Friedrich Trump was turned away from Germany, he returned to New York and put his money into empty lots in Queens and Brooklyn. In the interwar period, areas like Coney Island and Bayside began to fill up with middle-class Jewish families. Fred Trump, heir to his father’s investments, sold many single-family row houses to these Jewish families, all the while claiming his family came from Sweden.

The myth made it into Donald Trump’s 1987 book The Art of the Deal. In a section detailing his family history, he included that his grandfather “came from Sweden as a child.” Trump, surprisingly, was apparently loathe to stretch the facts of his family heritage.

“Do I have to do this Swedish thing?” Trump asked his father, according to John Walter.

www.forward.com

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 12:11 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
... Kallstadt, a small town near the German border with France, ...
Elizabeth Christ Trump (Donald Trump's grandmother, is from Kallstadt, too.

And Henry John Heinz's father was born in the very same town as well.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:33 pm
I have no idea what the import of this thread is? Brooklyn and Queens (more so Brooklyn?) had large German communities in the late 19th century and early 20th century. In 1910 some public school "readers" had one page in English and one page in German. The intent by the German community was to have a bi-lingual city. After WWI the German community gave up that goal and chose being just Americans, as one can see in their loyal efforts in WWII. If Jews didn't want to buy a home, or live in an apartment building, built by a German immigrant, or someone of German ancestry, no one was forcing them. Again, I have no idea what the import of of this thread is?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 04:49 pm
Well, Foofie, since Trump is the new Reichskanzler of the USA, I should think the German connection is obvious. The alt-right guy Richard Spencer actually said "let's party like it's 1933" the day after the election. It would be nice to think that every 1933 has its 1945, but even if it is true, there are 12 years in between... 12 years to organize the resistance... assassinate Heydrich, do the 20th July a bit better this time around...

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:05 pm
I wouldn't hold it against him. I grew up in New York, Jews are a big part of New York and also big in the real estate business. I had Jewish friends whose parents would not travel to Germany in the fifties and sixties, for obvious reasons. With Trump building his business empire in New York, he found it a good idea to hide his German heritage, and in his situation it probably was a good idea.

How many people Anglicized their name when they came to Ellis Island so they could fit in better, or at least their kids would? No big deal.
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:52 pm
@Blickers,
r
Blickers wrote:

How many people Anglicized their name when they came to Ellis Island so they could fit in better, or at least their kids would?

Most people didn't change their names . Why should they? You can change your name, but not your genes! Which is more important? Your genes or your name.
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:51 pm
Even though Trump supposedly wanted folks to think he is Swedish, instead of German, he never married a Swedish woman...
Builder

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:34 pm
@Miller,
The British royal family also hid their German roots, and changed their name to Windsor from Saxe-Coburg unt Gotha.

Apparently not one bomb fell on their properties during the German bombing of Britain.

Operation Paperclip saw many of Germany's brains trust brought to the US after the war to continue their work, particularly on the nuclear side of the coin.
Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 12:17 am
@Miller,
Quote Miller:
Quote:
Most people didn't change their names . Why should they? You can change your name, but not your genes! Which is more important? Your genes or your name.

If by most people you mean the majority of immigrants at Ellis Island, yes that's right. But a great number of immigrants did change their name to an Anglicized version of their old name in order for them, and especially their children, to fit in better. Growing up in a New York neighborhood where at least half my classmates didn't speak English in the home, I saw plenty of Anglicized names.

Just one example is John Kerry, whose grandfather came from Czechoslovakia and whose name was surely not Kerry. The writer Irving Wallace, whose parents emigrated from Russia and whose name back there was Wallechinsky. And so forth. For that matter, my Ukrainian grandparents' name was Goett something back there but when they hit the US, they became Gott.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 12:36 am
@Blickers,
Generally, in all languages, family names changed. (My family's name changed from the Old Saxon Hinthlere to what it is now, including several small changes .... which might just be writing errors resp. the gain and loss of the landowner's prefix.)
Transcriptions from Cyrillic ('Ukrainian') are done even today differently from place to place.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 04:04 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Apparently not one bomb fell on their properties during the German bombing of Britain.

You are a stranger to the truth.

Quote:
It would go down in history as the day the Luftwaffe came closest to claiming the ultimate trophy – the life of George VI. Exactly 69 years ago today, German bombs hit Buckingham Palace when he was in residence, an event elevating the reluctant, stammering monarch to hero king in the eyes of the people.

Now a private and emotional letter written by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, only hours after they both survived the attack, can be reproduced in full for the first time.

Released by Buckingham Palace ahead of the publication this week of the first official biography of the Queen Mother, the letter is her personal account of the events of 13 September 1940 to her "darling" mother-in-law, Queen Mary.
In it she records how she was "battling" to remove an errant eyelash from the King's eye, when they heard the "unmistakable whirr-whirr of a German plane" and then the "scream of a bomb".

"It all happened so quickly that we had only time to look foolishly at each other when the scream hurtled past us and exploded with a tremendous crash in the quadrangle," she wrote.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/13/queen-mother-biography-shawcross-luftwaffe<br />
Not only are you a liar, you're a very lazy one. You could have checked this out with a simple google search, but that would have been the action of an honest person, and that's not you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 04:05 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Your character. Herman Göring's brother Albert shared a name and a ton of genes with Herman, but he wasn't the same at all.

Quote:
Many anecdotal stories exist about Göring's resistance to the Nazi ideology and regime. For example, Albert is reported to have joined a group of Jewish women that had been forced to scrub the street. The SS officer in charge inspected his identification, and ordered the group's scrubbing activity to stop after realizing he could be held responsible for allowing Hermann Göring's brother to be publicly humiliated.

Albert Göring used his influence to get his Jewish former boss Oskar Pilzer freed after the Nazis arrested him. Göring then helped Pilzer and his family escape from Germany. He is reported to have done the same for many other German dissidents.

Göring intensified his anti-Nazi activity when he was made export director at the Škoda Works in Czechoslovakia. He encouraged minor acts of sabotage and had contact with the Czech resistance. On many occasions, he forged his brother's signature on transit documents to enable dissidents to escape. When he was caught, he used his brother's influence to gain his release. Göring also sent trucks to Nazi concentration camps with requests for labourers. The trucks would stop in an isolated area, and their passengers were then allowed to escape.

After the war, Albert Göring was questioned during the Nuremberg Tribunal. However, many of those he had helped testified for him, and he was released. Soon afterwards, Göring was arrested by the Czechs, but he was again released when the full extent of his activities became known

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_G%C3%B6ring
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 04:58 am
Of course the emmigrants changed their names - either because the names should sound more Englsih or simply because the people on Ellis ISland could not spell the foreign name.
What should they have done with the letters å ø æ or ö ä or ü ?
Like the name Östergård got to be Ostergard or even Easterguard
Schneider got to be Snyder.
As an emmigrant I think the name ment the most. Noone had ever heard of
genes in those days. The name connected them with their family back home.
The children got first names from the native land.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 07:44 am
My grandfather dropped the "O" from the Sullivan, but was not ever told if he did it or the processing officers at Ellis.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 09:38 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Noone had ever heard of
genes in those days.

What days are you talking about? The father of modern genetics was a monk with the name of Gregor Mendel. Do you remember his work with peas?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:31 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

I wouldn't hold it against him. I grew up in New York, Jews are a big part of New York and also big in the real estate business. I had Jewish friends whose parents would not travel to Germany in the fifties and sixties, for obvious reasons. With Trump building his business empire in New York, he found it a good idea to hide his German heritage, and in his situation it probably was a good idea.

How many people Anglicized their name when they came to Ellis Island so they could fit in better, or at least their kids would? No big deal.

Thank you for explaining the nuances of being a New Yorker.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:33 pm
13 September 1940
By Amy Heaney

During the Blitz, Buckingham Palace and its grounds were struck on sixteen separate occasions (of which nine were direct hits). The Palace forecourt, inner quadrangle and South and North Wings were all marred by high explosive and delayed-action bombs. Despite this, the targeting of Buckingham Palace resulted in only partial success: physical damage was limited and there were no mass casualties.
Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:37 pm
My name was shortened from the Yiddish diminutive, "Foofala," to the more Anglecized, "Foofie." I would have liked to be knighted as, "Sir Foofie."
Miller

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:07 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

My name was shortened from the Yiddish diminutive, "Foofala," to the more Anglecized, "Foofie."

What's the meaning of the word "Foofala"? It sounds like an Italian dish to me...
Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 11:14 pm
@Miller,
Dunno, but I have heard Jews refer to each other as "Bubala".