Was the Dred Scott reference code for Roe v. Wade?

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:31 am
princesspupule --

That sounds reasonable to me, and I would be comforted if Bush didn't have this persistent record of first stating fairly sensible principles, then doing the opposite in practice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
Yeah, I don't put much stock in the litmus test thing. (Good thing to say, doubt it means anything about what he'd do, and Kerry had a good point about various indicators pointing towards Bush wanting to get rid of Roe vs. Wade.)

Thomas, I do seem to have read a fair amount of Bush needing to appease the religious right, that they think he has been too moderate on several issues (as strange as that may seem.) I think that percentage, numbers-wise, is pretty low compared to Kerry-swing voters, but I think the influence is higher. He wants them not only voting for them (on second thought, this may be the more pertinent part of the whole thing) but rallying their base to vote for him. So he wants their enthusiastic support, not just grudging well I ain't letting no Democrat get in support.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
princesspupule --

That sounds reasonable to me, and I would be comforted if Bush didn't have this persistent record of first stating fairly sensible principles, then doing the opposite in practice.

But he didn't answer whether or not he wanted to see Roe v. Wade overturned, simply that he would have no "litmus test" for any Supreme Court appointee. Shouldn't the right of choice remain a "constitutional right" that should be defended by anyone aspiring to the high court?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:21 pm
Sozobe wrote:
Thomas, I do seem to have read a fair amount of Bush needing to appease the religious right, that they think he has been too moderate on several issues (as strange as that may seem.)

I see. Maybe it was just selective perception on my part then.

Princesspupule wrote:
But he didn't answer whether or not he wanted to see Roe v. Wade overturned, simply that he would have no "litmus test" for any Supreme Court appointee. Shouldn't the right of choice remain a "constitutional right" that should be defended by anyone aspiring to the high court?

I know it sounds impossible, but this is a more complicated question than it seems. The reason is that in plain English, the word "right" is used both as a moral term and a legal term, and it is often difficult to tell in which sense a speaker is using the word. In moral terms, I happen believe in a qualified pro-choice position. I think pro-choice is a good general rule in the early stages of pregnancy, but I want provisions out there to curb third trimester abortions. Which, by the way, is an option explicitly conceded to the legislature by the Supreme Court in Roe vs. Wade.

As a question of constitutional law, I do believe that Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas have a point. The constitution doesn't really say anything about abortions, and Roe vs. Wade depends on an extremely long stretch. The stretch starts with the fourth amendment. The freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures is then stretched to include a full-fledged right to privacy. Then this right is further stretched to contrieve the right to choose an abortion. Finally, the Supreme Court uses a counterfactual interpretation of the fourteenth amendment so that the federal government can enforce the deduced right to abort an embryo against the states. To me as an interested layman, it looks like a pretty shaky cardhouse of an argument, and if that's all the Supreme Court has got, Roe vs. Wade may well deserve to die.

So my short answer to your question: "Shouldn't the right of choice remain a 'constitutional right'?", is "yes" as a matter of morals and "I don't know it has ever been a constitutional right" as a matter of constitutional law. But this position is much too complicated to defend on TV, so I don't expect any politician to take it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:50 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Here's what was said about this during debate #3:
Quote:
SCHIEFFER: Mr. President, I want to go back to something Senator Kerry said earlier tonight and ask a follow-up of my own. He said -- and this will be a new question to you -- he said that you had never said whether you would like to overturn Roe v. Wade. So I'd ask you directly, would you like to?

BUSH: What he's asking me is, will I have a litmus test for my judges? And the answer is, no, I will not have a litmus test. I will pick judges who will interpret the Constitution, but I'll have no litmus test.

Despite his remarks in the third debate, Bush quite clearly has a litmus test for judges: he outlined it in the second debate:
Quote:
I would pick somebody who would not allow their personal opinion to get in the way of the law. I would pick somebody who would strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States.

Let me give you a couple of examples, I guess, of the kind of person I wouldn't pick. 

I wouldn't pick a judge who said that the Pledge of Allegiance couldn't be said in a school because it had the words "under God" in it. I think that's an example of a judge allowing personal opinion to enter into the decision-making process as opposed to a strict interpretation of the Constitution.

Another example would be the Dred Scott case, which is where judges, years ago, said that the Constitution allowed slavery because of personal property rights. 

That's a personal opinion. That's not what the Constitution says. The Constitution of the United States says we're all -- you know, it doesn't say that. It doesn't speak to the equality of America. 

And so, I would pick people that would be strict constructionists. We've got plenty of lawmakers in Washington, D.C. Legislators make law; judges interpret the Constitution. 

And I suspect one of us will have a pick at the end of next year -- the next four years. And that's the kind of judge I'm going to put on there. No litmus test except for how they interpret the Constitution.

Apparently, one test would be on the pledge of allegiance. And another test would be on a 147-year-old case that no longer has any validity. So I suppose we can confidently predict that Bush wouldn't pick any judge who would strike "under God" from the pledge or reintroduce slavery into the western territories.

That's certainly reassuring.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:53 pm
Thomas, I'm not at all sure about the needing to appease the religious right, it's an impression I have -- but since we read many of the same sources (NYT, New Yorker), I may be the one reading it wrong. Will try to do some research later.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:56 pm
Joe from Chicgo said

Apparently, one test would be on the pledge of allegiance. And another test would be on a 147-year-old case that no longer has any validity. So I suppose we can confidently predict that Bush wouldn't pick any judge who would strike "under God" from the pledge or reintroduce slavery into the western territories.

That's certainly reassuring.

yup, I know I'll sleep better tonight.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:08 pm
According to this New York Times Op-Ed, it wascode after all. Judging by its tone, the comment seems a bit on the scaremongering side to me, but I respect the New New York Times so here goes:
Quote:
Abortion might be a crime in most states. Gay people could be thrown in prison for having sex in their homes. States might be free to become mini-theocracies, endorsing Christianity and using tax money to help spread the gospel. The Constitution might no longer protect inmates from being brutalized by prison guards. Family and medical leave and environmental protections could disappear.

It hardly sounds like a winning platform, and of course President Bush isn't openly espousing these positions. But he did say in his last campaign that his favorite Supreme Court justices were Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas, and the nominations he has made to the lower courts bear that out. Justices Scalia and Thomas are often called "conservative," but that does not begin to capture their philosophies. Both vehemently reject many of the core tenets of modern constitutional law.

For years, Justices Scalia and Thomas have been lobbing their judicial Molotov cocktails from the sidelines, while the court proceeded on its moderate-conservative path. But given the ages and inclinations of the current justices, it is quite possible that if Mr. Bush is re-elected, he will get three appointments, enough to forge a new majority that would turn the extreme Scalia-Thomas worldview into the law of the land.

There is every reason to believe Roe v. Wade would quickly be overturned. Mr. Bush ducked a question about his views on Roe in the third debate. But he sent his base a coded message in the second debate, with an odd reference to the
Dred Scott case. Dred Scott, an 1857 decision upholding slavery, is rarely mentioned today, except in right-wing legal circles, where it is often likened to Roe. (Anti-abortion theorists say that the court refused to see blacks as human in Dred Scott and that the same thing happened to fetuses in Roe.) For more than a decade, Justices Scalia and Thomas have urged their colleagues to reverse Roe and "get out of this area, where we have no
right to be."

Full article here
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:12 pm
There was something about it yesterday too, thanks for reminding me -- it made an interesting point about how Dred Scott made the *opposite* point than the one Bush was using it for... just a sec...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
But to liberal jurists, Mr. Bush's reference to Dred Scott in the second debate, on Oct. 8, was particularly puzzling. Saying he would appoint strict constructionist justices who adhered to the intent of the Constitution's framers, Mr. Bush cited the Dred Scott case as an example of judicial reliance on personal opinion.

But Dred Scott is an example of the opposite - a decision based on original intent, said Jack M. Balkin, a constitutional law professor at Yale University.

Slavery was constitutional at the time, and the decision was based on original intent. Asserting that the framers did not envision blacks as citizens, they ignored the fact that some states recognized freed slaves as citizens at the time of the Constitutional Convention, he said.

Whole article -- interesting! (And a bit more balanced.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/weekinreview/17kirk.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:25 pm
from Focus on the Family...
Quote:
Dear Friends,

Greetings and Happy New Year to you all.

On March 6, 1857, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in the Dred Scott case that "Negroes" were less than human in the eyes of the law.1 It was one of the most shameful moments in the history of this great nation, whose Founding Fathers had declared in the Declaration of Independence that we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, among them life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The failure to assure these promised "blessings of liberty" for all our citizens kept millions of blacks in bondage for another 87 years and contributed ultimately to a horrible Civil War during which more than 600,000 men died on the battlefield.2

Unfortunately, there were lessons we failed to learn from the tragedy of that era. On January 22, 1973, another shameful decision was handed down by the U.S. Supreme Court that stains our hands with blood to this day. It was called Roe vs. Wade, and has resulted in the deaths of nearly 40 million preborn babies.3 This month, we mark the 27th anniversary of that terrible decision and pause to reflect on what it has done to us as a nation.

more here...
Quote:
Opposing Dred Scott
By now most people have probably read something about George W. Bush's comments on the Dred Scott decision during his second debate with John Kerry. Why did a Supreme Court decision on slavery enter a presidential debate today? Because it's coded language for anti-abortion activists. It also doesn't mean what they or Bush think it means...

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/118897.htm
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
One of the problems with the "strict constructionists" arguments...is that a decision like the Dred Scott decision is a "strict constructionist" ruling.

The Constitution of the United States...as originally written...did consider slaves to be less than human....3/5ths of a human each, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
I suppose it's possible that Bush was talking "in code" about Dred Scott: if that's the case, though, he screwed up the line. Here's what he said:
    "Let me give you a couple of examples, I guess, of the kind of person I wouldn't pick.  I wouldn't pick a judge who said that the Pledge of Allegiance couldn't be said in a school because it had the words "under God" in it. I think that's an example of a judge allowing personal opinion to enter into the decision-making process as opposed to a strict interpretation of the Constitution. Another example would be the Dred Scott case, which is where judges, years ago, said that the Constitution allowed slavery because of personal property rights.
Notice, he didn't say that he disapproved of cases like the Dred Scott decision (which would have been a fairly obvious nod to Roe v. Wade): he said that Dred Scott was an example of the kind of judge he wouldn't pick -- which means either he wouldn't pick a judge who would support Dred Scott, or else he wouldn't pick Dred Scott for a judgeship (Scott has been dead for over a century, and thus he is marginally unqualified to be a Bush nominee).

So, as it stands, Bush is on record as either opposing slavery or opposing the nomination of dead slaves to the federal bench. Frankly, I find myself in the unaccustomed situation of actually agreeing with both of those positions.

In any event, Bush was wrong to state that Dred Scott held that the constitution allowed slavery because of personal property rights. The constitution allowed slavery because it never outlawed slavery (until the passage of the 13th Amendment). Dred Scott allowed slavery in the territories because of the constitution's guarantee of property rights. In fact, a good argument can be made that Chief Justice Taney's opinion in the Dred Scott case was constitutionally correct. As I have mentioned before, however, it retains no validity today.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:05 am
joe

It was a nod, if poorly informed as to whether east or west ought to be the direction nodded towards. The fundamentalist community (as in the site I noted above) commonly tie together Dred and RvW in their words and worldview.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
blatham: If Bush is going to speak in coded messages to his followers, then he should learn the code. The religious right, above all, should know what dread consequences can befall someone who fails to get the code right:

God, in Judges 12: 4-6 wrote:
Then Jephthah gathered together all the men of Gilead, and fought with Ephraim: and the men of Gilead smote Ephraim, because they said, Ye Gileadites are fugitives of Ephraim among the Ephraimites, and among the Manassites. And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay; Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:49 am
The 'code-learning thing'. Sheesh. That's a lot to ask of the fellow.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:17 pm
blatham wrote:
The 'code-learning thing'. Sheesh. That's a lot to ask of the fellow.

Well, being president is hard work, you know.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:06 pm
ROFLPMP! Laughing Laughing Laughing Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Cool OMG, that was funny!!! Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:05 am
Lovely find, Joe.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:36 pm
As I understand the strict constructionists, their point isn't that the constitution is perfect. It is that there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with any injustice in the constitution. The wrong way is for the Supreme Court to claim that the constitution doesn't say what it says, but what it ought to say in the opinion of the judges. They are especially unhappy with a line of rulings that started under heavy bullying by FDR. They boil down to the assertion that any law Congress might feel like passing affects interstate commerce and is thus constitutional under the interstate commerce clause by default -- unless it violates specific constitutional provisions.

The right way to deal with injustice and inadequacies in the constitution, according to the strict constructionists, is that the legislature kill them through the amendment process specified in the constitution itself. They think that the overall process in the abolition of slavery was correct -- the Supreme Court ruled based on the constitution as it was, and Congress, after the civil war, added the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendment. By contrast, Roe vs. Wade was incorrect because it relied on creative interpretation instead of the amendment process.

So personally, I think Bush's Dredd Scott reference really is just obscure. He had made his point -- in plain text -- by referring to the pledge of allegiance controversy. And all the Dredd Scott reference adds is proof that Bush will mess up every, but every idea that responsible conservatives supply him with.
0 Replies