victorian times

nn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out on a ques. i have about the late 1800's.
How is it that an established aristocrat family in Britain and U.S.A, owner of a business poss. lose their house/property and become poverty stricken?
Can anyone make a list of all the possibilities?
Thank you to anyone who could help. Much appreciated Smile

nn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:59 am
Are we doing your homework?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:31 am
Are you aiming at a specific case or looking for the general causes that could lead to ruin in those days?

And what is a business poss. ?
0 Replies

Wiggles

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 09:31 am
Say the family runs a cotton business, and the American civil war breaks out. That could cripple a family.

New technology giving competitors the upper hand.

Tarnishing of the family name. It wasn't so much a typical case but Oscar Wilde lost his standing through his trials and subsequent incarceration. A newpaper editor for the Pall Mall gazette, also lost his welath and standing in Victorian England after being taken to court over his coverage of Child prostitution in Victorian London. In honesty I can't remember his name. Pretty famous though.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:16 am
I get the impression that in the Victorian era alot was based on social position,respectability etc.
It seems as Wiggle says that if the family name was tarnished by scandal things could go downhill pretty quickly.
Ironic as I believe most husbands were probably visiting prostitutes(as we see in most victorian adaptations) on a regular basis while wifey stayed at home and yet the men would get away with it and the woman would be cast out if she was found to be cheating.

weather-if rain is poor and a river is powering a mill then production will be low.
price/affordability/durability/demand/fashions/trends/influences from other countries/transport.

Im waffling now. Im sure none of it helped you but I love the victorian era,cant get a better one better for ramance and vampires!!
0 Replies