Brit & Aussie TV & Movies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:38 am
benconservato wrote:
oh jeeves and wooster - love it. Poor Bertie always looking dumb compared to smug old jeeves.

my next big dvd purchase is going to be the complete collection
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:50 am
Not much worth watching on Oz television during this silly season, but I am enjoying two Brit. programs: Rose & Maloney & Footballers' Wives. Here's a description of a typical episode of Footballers' Wives:

Amber and Conrad find themselves at the mercy of a Triad gang demanding a huge sum of money. Harley's girlfriend Shannon joins him in London, but soon finds her face doesn't fit and pays a visit to a plastic surgeon. Tanya discovers Frank is broke, and soon sets her sights on Conrad - resulting in a catfight with Amber. Kyle seeks solace in gambling dens.

Talk about action packed! Laughing
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:11 am
I just heard that LEAGUE OF GENTELMEN are making a movie, I wonder if it will make it over here? They only released the first season on DVD here. I woul like to get the other two but don't know how.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:51 am
The members of the League of Gentlemen are some seriously disturbed people, and damned funny as well. I hope the film gets made, thiefoflight. Have you seen "Shaun Of The Dead"? I was wondering how well some of our "darker" comedy travels across the pond.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:47 am
I haven't seen it yet, but my friends all liked it.
Another film that was a favorite was HOW TO GET AHEAD IN ADVERTISING and I finally saw WITHNAL AND I
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:49 pm
And what did you think of Withnal & I, thiefoflight? I loved it. Mind you, that was years ago ...
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:02 am
I enjoyed it. I just got a copy of WORK IS A FOUR LETTER WORD (1969) I've wanted to see it for a long time.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:36 am
League of Gentlemen was brilliant and I liked Rose and Moloney - Msolga ...Footballers wives ...??????? high high camp! wait til the end and see what Tanya gets up to - it gets even more away with the fairies!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
Vivien

It makes absolutely no difference if you miss an episode or 3 of Footballers', you can always find something to intrigue & snort over. It gets even wilder? Oh good! Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
oh definitely! I don't know where you are up to and I didn't watch it regularly (as you say - no need!) but it definitely escalated in ... ummm .... my vocabularly deserts me ..... but it escalates!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:31 pm
djjd62 wrote:
brit - kenny everret video show, monty python, fawlty towers, alas smith and jones, not the nine o'clock news, blackadder, black books, chef, keeping up appearances, are you being served, jeeves and wooster, heartbeat, the royal, a touch of frost, prime suspect, hetty wainthrope miss bradley mysteries, campion, daziel and pascoe, inspector morse, inspector lynley, the prisoner, ruth rendell mysteries, monarch of the glen, born and bred, waiting for god, to the manor born, may to december, allo allo, one foot in the grave, last of the summer wine, darling buds of may, take the high road, coronation street, emmerdale, reginald perrin, yes minister, yes prime minister, there's more but i can't think right now..

Yup, don't forget "On the Buses"! :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:38 pm
oh god
on the buses
i made the hamburgers take me to see the on the buses crew when they did a stage show here in toronto decades ago
i'm mortified <covers face with hands>

but i loved that damn show

i remember something about wall-papering the ceiling that just about made hamburger and his brother fall out of their chairs laughing

Chef slays me, as does The Vicar of Dibley. Those two are so subversive in their humour.

Victoria Wood.
0 Replies