Brit & Aussie TV & Movies

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:53 pm
Well we never saw a level of service such as yours. It was unique.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:47 pm
The customer really was king. And, by the looks of it, an upper-class king as well. Is the class divide in the US as pronounced as it was/is here? I gather from somewhere that you went to school here or something?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:43 pm
Not near as pronounced. We just haven't had classes as long as you have.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
I went to a public school founded in part by Mountbatten. But they went out of their way to minimize the class distinctions.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
There are some shows made by the BBC that I have enjoyed of late:

Spooks (new series coming out soon supposedly) all about MI5
Shooting the Past (this is a 3 part series)
Perfect Strangers (this is 3 part as well I recall)

Loved Black Adder and the craziness of The Young Ones (that shows my age!) Lets get worse and go Red Dwarf and the original Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Goodies... am I getting off tangent here?
Doctor Who

I have to agree that Madam Bucket used to drive me crazy!
(This little list also proves I don't watch alot of commercial TV in Australia).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:53 pm
The only Australian comedy I recall was "The Paul Hogan Show," which predated the Crocodile movie.

There are many great British sitcoms. Chef, The Vicar of Dibley(Dawn French), Father Ted, Waiting for God, Murder Most Horrid(Dawn French), et al, as well as the aforementioned. Most of these are shown over and over again. Another great that lasted only one season was "Mulberry." It was very popular in the U.S., but for some reason production was pulled after the first year.

Also there was a documentary by Clive James called "Postcards" or something where James traveled to various cities of the world and poked fun at everyone and everything. What a wit!

Oddly enough, conservative Dallas was the PBS station that first ran Monty Python after it was repeatedly rejected in city after city. Then it caught on like wildfire, and British sitcoms won over America.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:42 pm
Grand Duke, I don't know much about Britain as I was there for the weekend in 1993; but the people were lovely and helpful.

The quality of service here in the States has almost hit rock bottom, especially in grocery stores where sullen 15 year old kids bag the groceries, giving the customers little hope that the eggs will survive the ride home.

Coluber, I remember the Paul Hogan show. Some of the words and references didn't make any sense, but he was so funny it didn't matter. Since then, I haven't been very fond of his work.

Mr. Bean has always been too...horribly inept for me.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:05 am
thinking of Paul Hogan, what about Norman Gunston? When he interviewed Paul McCartney and Linda and they were looking at him wondering if he was for real...
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:25 pm
Does anyone know anything about an animated series called MONKEY DUST?? I've heard it is better than the SIMPSONS
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:41 pm
Yeah thiefoflight. I've seen a couple of them over the last few weeks on our good old BBC. I'm not sure that Monkey Dust will be as popular in the mass-market of prime-time TV as the Simpsons (due to some of the subject matter - anal sex, heroin use, cannabalism for example), but I'd definitely rate it highly. I nearly had a toilet-related accident watching one particular sketch.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:06 am
Thanks for the tip. Although there's not much chance of us seeing it in the near future.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:12 am
I watched a repeat program of The Office tonight. The one where David totally destroys the seminar that the visiting expert is valiantly trying to conduct with the staff. Instead, David ends up singing & playing his guitar & revisiting his days in a band. The expert eventually gives up in despair & leaves. Very funny!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:39 am
Msolga - I think this is from that very episode:

Rowan: "Gareth, quick trust exercise, ultimate fantasy?"
Gareth: "Hmm?"
David: "We're just doing the ultimate fantasy, we're all doing it"
Gareth: "Two lesbians probably, sisters. I'm just watching"
Rowan: "OK. Erm. Tim? Do you have one?"
Tim: "I'd never thought I'd say this, but can I hear more from Gareth please?"
Gareth:Genius.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:18 am
Grand Duke

Yes!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing <snort>
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:50 am
I just realised that the guy from married with 2.5 children died some years ago. That was a shock, he was over 39. Too young.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:35 pm
now how did i miss this thread, hell i get named in the first post

my list of brit and aussie shows, not all faves but the ones i've seen

brit - kenny everret video show, monty python, fawlty towers, alas smith and jones, not the nine o'clock news, blackadder, black books, chef, keeping up appearances, are you being served, jeeves and wooster, heartbeat, the royal, a touch of frost, prime suspect, hetty wainthrope miss bradley mysteries, campion, daziel and pascoe, inspector morse, inspector lynley, the prisoner, ruth rendell mysteries, monarch of the glen, born and bred, waiting for god, to the manor born, may to december, allo allo, one foot in the grave, last of the summer wine, darling buds of may, take the high road, coronation street, emmerdale, reginald perrin, yes minister, yes prime minister, there's more but i can't think right now, and as for brit movies well i've seen many

aussie - a country practice, the flying doctors, richmond hill, blue heelers, neighbours, mother and son, that's about it for aussie tv, movies i've seen, gallipoli, picnic at hanging rock, the getting of wisdom, my brilliant carreer, picture show man, whalerider, once were warriors, walkabout, young enstein there's probably more but i can't think right now
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
omfg, i forgot about father ted, perhaps the best show ever
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:15 am
oh jeeves and wooster - love it. Poor Bertie always looking dumb compared to smug old jeeves.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:18 am
ahhh - but once were warriors is a NZ production, I believe Whale Rider is too... you will get some very indignant Kiwis hounding you if you think these things! Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:36 am
benconservato wrote:
ahhh - but once were warriors is a NZ production, I believe Whale Rider is too... you will get some very indignant Kiwis hounding you if you think these things! Laughing

i meant to mention that in my post that i was putting the nz items in with the aussie, i also included a scottish production in with the brit shows
0 Replies