Brit & Aussie TV & Movies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
There are unfortunately many middle-aged people in this country with similarities to Hyacinth & Richard, which is the reason we are seen abroad as being stuffy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm
Yes, I know. but the class struggle makes for some great TV.

How do you feel about "Open All Hours"?

That show left a huge impression on me. It wasn't always about comedy.There was a wistful side to it that I interpreted as the sorrow over the loss of an old way of life.
Any comments?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:55 pm
http://www.studioarts.co.uk/images/prints/brownprints/OpenAllHours.jpg

BTW. I love this painting. It takes me back to Wales in the 60's
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
Ronnie Barker is brilliant - as well as Open All Hours he did a brilliant series called Porridge set in a prison and a series with another Ronnie (not at all funny on his own this one, but together they were brilliant) where they did sketches and skits.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
I am definitely a fan of Open All Hours. I hear what you're saying Pan about the wistfulness - when he stands on the doorstep of the shop at night and makes a monologue about the day's events, it always seemed slightly sad.

Porridge is also one of my retro-favourites, Vivien. Mr McKay's sneer, Godber's naive Brumminess and of course world-wise Norman Stanley Fletcher. Fantastic.

Anyone got any comments on Dad's Army?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:06 pm
Diane

Mrs Bucket drives me crazy, too. She's sort of funny via extreme irritation! Sometimes it's hard to take, I agree!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:09 pm
Grand Duke, Hyacinth and Richard are alive and well in almost any country in the world. Have you read about the McMansions here in the States? After the young Wall Streeters made gazillions they all built these monstrous mansions...as common as McDonald's.

Since there is way too much for Dys and I to view in our lifetimes, all of you are obligated to come to Albuquerque with your favorites and we will watch together after a night's debauchery eating Mexican and drinking Mexican beer. I also make luscious French toast, if you don't like Mexican. The invitation is open to any of you who make it to the States.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
I used to live across the road from Hyacinth, till I shifted house, Diane. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
Albuquerque has been a place I have wanted to visit ever since I was a child. The reason? Bugs Bunny always seemed to make a wrong turn there! Bizarely, Milwaukee is another place, from watching Happy Days.

I would love to come to the US, but it probably won't be for a few years yet. If we're still posting in A2K then I'll give you a gentle reminder! Thanks, Diane.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:24 pm
Grand Duke

Has anyone mentioned My Family, yet? I really enjoyed that!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
That's the one with the dentist, isn't it? I reckon it's not bad, but I would be relectant to rank it as a classic.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
I did have a bit of a thing for Janey the daughter though...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:34 pm
I wouldn't call it a classic, either, Grand Duke, but it had some very funny dialogue between the family members. And it was wonderful to get away from Brit CLASS COMEDY for a bit! Very Happy I'm sure we get force fed the worst ones by our ABC. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:42 pm
Apart from the aforementioned Keeping Up Appearances, which other class comedies can we think of?

Maybe it doesn't qualify, but I reckon Blackadder - the way Edmund treats Baldrick is pure genius.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 03:22 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Apart from the aforementioned Keeping Up Appearances, which other class comedies can we think of?

Maybe it doesn't qualify, but I reckon Blackadder - the way Edmund treats Baldrick is pure genius.

The blackadder script is indeed pure comic genius for the most part although it does sometimes get a bit too daft, for scriptwriting quality I would place it third behind "fools and horses" and "yes Prime Minister"
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:22 pm
Yes - I'm a Blackadder fan - but I just can't cope with Mr Bean - or Mrs Bucket!

The Bill - I think I like the more recent epsidoes - although I do have the urge to strangle some of them sometimes (Phil Hunter is a good candidate for murder - or he may well have been done in - our episodes are a bit behind the UK!)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:27 pm
Mr Bean is for kids! Funny enough, most other stuff I've seen Rowan Atkinson in has been poor in quality cf. Blackadder.

As for The Bill - I have to say my favorite characters have been DS Burnside and Reg.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
I know it's dated but "Are You Being Served" was very much about classes I think.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:43 pm
"I'm free..."
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:49 pm
http://www.rmpbs.org/britcom/images/pareyou.gif

I quite enjoy it. It was made in a time from before I was born, and it's quite strange to see the how the level of customer service in stores has changed over the last 30 years. I guess the same is true of the US?
0 Replies