Women & Discrimination

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:03 pm
littlek-

Quote:
Pho - of course, but I think that many animals think on a lower level than those.....

I don't think that I am catching your meaning. You have to remember that it IS past my bedtime, and my brain is on cruise control! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:09 pm
Sorry. You said that we are different because we think. I say there are many levels of thinking. I think some primates and even, say, my dog, can think on a base level (driven by something more than pure instinct all the time). I think what seperates us from lesser mammals is our ability to modify our bio-genetic drives by higher levels of thinking. For example. We can say, if I eat this cholesterol ladden food that I crave because of my subsistence-level-living-of-yester-eon, I will be more likely to die of heart disease. So, I'll pass on the burger and have the grilled chicken.

I dunno if I'm making sense to myself - and, I'm really just splitting hairs, but I think it an important nitpick.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:14 pm
No Phoenix. When you read "The Blank Slate" he explains why people want things to be one or the other.

I think lil k's point was that animals do think (re: your comment that what makes us human is our ability to think). Their depth of thought isn't as great as ours but they do think... It's the higher level thinking that seperates us from "the animals".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:16 pm
BINGO!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:35 pm
Shocked

Where's my kwepie doll? lol
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:37 pm
Kewpie doll? I don't get it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:48 pm
Don't I win something for getting it? lol Back in the carnival days of yore when you played the games if you won you could choose a kwepie doll as your prize... Nowadays you'd probably get your choice of stuffed animals.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:55 pm
Aha! Yep, I was of the huge stuffed animal generation.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 12:35 am
Anyone remember the great James Thurber cartoon of a man returning (I think) to a house that was a woman. The drawing was of a house, but the house was a woman.

Thurber was supposedly a misogynist, but there's great fear expressed in the cartoon.

I dunno - I'm beginning to think it's not only man vs women, but between the same sexes too. Over the years of working, I've had the same experiences as other women. Once, sitting at my desk, working on a huge, obvious chart, in waltzes this man who wants to know if I can please call up for some hamburgers, honey. My husband and I worked together - yes, we did, and mostly it was good - and when he heard this he came running out of his office and grabbed this guy. He told me later he was afraid I was going to haul off and sock him.

But again, we had a young man working there, and some of the older clients would come in and assume that, while I was the coffee maker, he was the mail clerk.

Maybe it's an inherent competiveness among some people. Doesn't matter who it is - they just have to be on top.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:52 am
How about looking at the other side of the coin. Do you think it right that women be given jobs that they in most instances are physically incapable to perform. I am referring to police and fireman. Contrary to all of the shows on TV when faced with a situation where physical strength is required it is only the exceptionally strong women who can perform. I have seen women dressed up in police uniforms that were carrying a gun that was almost as big {figuratively speaking}as they were. I have also seen them stand behind their male partners during altercations. As for firemen thankfully they are few and far between. I think that is equal opportunity carried too far. Any person should have the opportunity to fill a position, man or women, that they are capable of performing but no one should hold a job because it is politically correct. Any comments?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:56 am
au:

You think that women have a problem shooting a gun?

How about our women in the US and Israeli military? Very Happy

AND:

Let me add, how about our AMerican pioneer women, who fought off the Indians and the British, all alone, without a man, holding their hand or a gun.

Women can be cops and whatever else they want to be. The days of the laced and girdled little Victorian gals is longgggggg gone!

Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:12 am
New Haven
Quote:

You think that women have a problem shooting a gun

A gun is a last resort. Have you seen what happens when a police officer shoots someone. All hell breaks loose.

As for women in the service. Are they in frontline combat units? I don't think so, however, if they are they shouldn't be.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
Oh how I love to go to firing ranges to shoot. I'm a pretty good shot, too. Au, I don't think women who go into the police force do so with much illusion - certainly after their training. I imagine that training weeds out a lot of men and women who find they can't do the job or don't care for the job after all.

Exactly what (besides women hiding behind men - I'd like to see stats on that) do you think women can't handle?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:25 am
Although I have no qualms about gender in my profession of veterinary medicine, I do have reservations as to physical attributes. I sold my practice (which includes a lot of beef cattle work) to a 5'1" female four years ago, and she is really quite good with horses and pets. Truthfully, she's a helluva lot better with horses than I ever was. But if my clients are to receive quality service in the beef industry, there is no way I can retire. The lady's arms are simply too short and her strength in insufficient to do the obstetrical work inherent in the job. This would be true whether she were male or female. My point is that, at the risk of sounding sexist, not everyone is suited for every job. Small people, male or female, have physical restrictions that will make them at least disadvantaged in some positions. Likewise, people my size are not particularly adapted to becoming jockeys or gymnasts. Life has a goodly number of basic unalterable facts, and we must all live with them. As Mick Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want". For me, the secret of a fulfilling life is to recognize one's own limitations and capabilities, and make the very best of them that you can. However, if Mother Nature allows you to pursue your dream, then no person should be able to stop you.
Did I manage to offend any of you with this type of philosophical diatribe?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:34 am
aren't there bigger vets in the practice? Or is it a one man-woman show?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:35 am
Actually the thing that amazes me about (a few) firefighters and police officers is not the sex of the person but the apparent physical unfitness. I see fat (and I do mean obese) firefighters and police officers and cannot help but wonder how they remain on staff - assuming they were not hired in this shape! I also know that these people must be doing ongoing training to stay in their jobs but those rules have got to be very loosey goosey for some of the people I see. And I know overweight people who are extremely fit. I am talking about obese AND unfit people. I witnessed a 350lb (guessing) firefighter gasping for breath when he jogged up one flight of stairs and had to stop before continuing (in my building last week).

I also see a lot of male cops that are shorter than me. Now I know that I'll be jumped all over for that but I don't think a cop is very authoritative when he is short and I'm talking about five feet tall or thereabouts. If he is responding to a domestic where a man is six foot tall (assuming no weapons involved) then I got to estimate that any female officer would be just as effective as this small guy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:42 am
I think that the police force probably has ways to deal with this. From what I understand a lot of intimidation comes from a commanding voice. I imagine the force would pair short cops with bigger ones.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 01:01 pm
Great thread! I am a female, living in the heart of bubba land. I didn't even realize the sociological difference between men and women until I stepped away from Houston and Austin and landed in small-town Texas.

While the Republican men meet monthly in a restaurant, the Republican women bring a sack lunch to a nursing home and are lectured to by--you guessed it--Republican men. (I do not attend.)

One of these men was an elected official, youngest Rep. to the House, spoon-fed and bottom-wiped by women all his life. He was home-schooled; his every personal need met while he raced through law school; his female family members ran his campaign. He was ousted for any number of unethical and questionable activities. A real creep!

The women in this environment are really dysfunctional: sniping, gossipy, pushy, haughty--or worse--completely submissive. I've not seen such behavior since junior high school.

Research, knowledge, education, ability, none are respected if demonstrated by a woman, at least not in my very small circle.

Our ranch's lessee thinks he's an expert on everything, yet he probably hasn't read a book since he dropped out of school in eighth grade. The problem for me is that this "think he knows it all" speaks with some authority in his tone of voice, although, sometimes, his comments demonstrate a complete lack of expertise. Until recently, he was able to influence Mr. dupre regarding my projects. I've had to take several issues back to the source and prove my plans and decisions repeatedly. Even when confronted with knowledgable sources, the lessee will say that you can't believe ANYTHING you read. My response to him--only in desperation!--is that when his opinions on "the matter" are published, I'll be happy to consider him a credible source. Mostly I just thank him and ignore whatever doesn't apply. How I cringe when I hear him say, "You know, what you ought to do is . . . "!

I do all the yardwork, all the housework, and earn the money to pay all the bills, and do a significant amount of research before undertaking any project, while Mr. dupre--slightly handicapped--owns the land, the house we are refurbishing, and waits for some million-dollar deal to fall into his lap. He's perfectly happy to wait for that deal for the rest of his years. You'd think that my kind of contribution would count for more.

But . . . all is forgiven because Mr. dupre provides me with the most amazing dinners every night, and . . . I now work in Austin, where I can receive some respect as a person.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any and all advice or responses are appreciated!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 01:10 pm
Littlek - In remote areas like central Idaho, most practices have fee schedules low enough that it's not easy to hire multiple vets. At $1.25 per head, you have to pregnancy test a lot of cows to pay your help. You also don't want to know how many cats I spayed at $30 apiece. The rural West is a bit different from the East Coast. By the way, my salary as a county commissioner here is a whopping $16K annually. Welcome to the wonderful world of rural politics!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 02:16 pm
au:

In the US and Israel military, if the women aren't shooting guns, why are they carrying them around?

For show?
0 Replies