The Ambrose Bierce Word of the Day

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 01:57 am
February 13, 2003

LOGIC, n. The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding. The basic of logic is the syllogism, consisting of a major and a minor premise and a conclusion -- thus:

_Major Premise_: Sixty men can do a piece of work sixty times as
quickly as one man.
_Minor Premise_: One man can dig a posthole in sixty seconds;
therefore --
_Conclusion_: Sixty men can dig a posthole in one second.

This may be called the syllogism arithmetical, in which, by combining logic and mathematics, we obtain a double certainty and are twice blessed.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 07:28 pm
Quote:
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure.

Twain, again.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 07:39 pm
Love that Twain Mr. S
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:10 am
February 14, 2003

TAKE, v.t. To acquire, frequently by force but preferably by stealth.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:38 am
February 15, 2003

ZEAL, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

When Zeal sought Gratitude for his reward
He went away exclaiming: "O my Lord!"
"What do you want?" the Lord asked, bending down.
"An ointment for my cracked and bleeding crown."
Jum Coople
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 12:27 am
February 16, 2003

GENEROUS, adj. Originally this word meant noble by birth and was rightly applied to a great multitude of persons. It now means noble by nature and is taking a bit of a rest.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:22 am
February 17, 2003

WITCH, n. (1) Any ugly and repulsive old woman, in a wicked league with the devil. (2) A beautiful and attractive young woman, in wickedness a league beyond the devil.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:57 am
February 18, 2003

KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:07 am
Ah but what is under the kilt that is the question?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:13 am
Don't know if I really want to think about it. Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:35 am
A Scot on holiday in Lunnon gets a pint too many, and the pints get the better of him, so he wanders off, eventually falling asleep under a shrub in a park. Two young ladies strolling by see him, and, anxious to know the answer to the age-old mystery, lift his kilt. Giggling hysterically, one takes a blue ribbon from her hair, and ties it around what they've found beneath. Awaking later, with a near bursting bladder, Jock staggers off behind some topiary, and, lifting his kilt to relieve himself, notes with surprise his new decoration: "Well, laddie, i don't know where ye've been, but i see ye've won first prize!"
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:26 pm
Somehow I think Ambrose Bierce would've liked that story.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:31 pm
Quote:
The difference between truth and fiction: fiction has to make sense

I think you know who.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 03:35 am
February 19, 2002

MEANDER, n. To proceed sinuously and aimlessly. The word is the ancient name of a river about one hundred and fifty miles south of Troy, which turned and twisted in the effort to get out of hearing when the Greeks and Trojans boasted of their prowess.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:17 am
Larry - Zonker!!! - I am in awe! (check out the pissy avatar I've gone with right now).
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:37 am
I was trying to figure out what it was last night - my eyes were a bit blurry. I liked the teeth better, but this one is clever. I have a nice vulture chewing on somebody (animated), would you like that?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:01 am
February 20, 2003

MUGWUMP, n. In politics one afflicted with self-respect and addicted to the vice of independence. A term of contempt.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:02 am
Are you kidding! Zonker Harris!! You IS the man!!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:25 am
Mr. S - I meant for you - I can give you the url of the image (the vulture) if you like, in place of the avatar you have now.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:27 am
February 21, 2003

SAINT, n. A dead sinner revised and edited.
The Duchess of Orleans relates that the irreverent old calumniator, Marshal Villeroi, who in his youth had known St. Francis de Sales, said, on hearing him called saint:"I am delighted to hear that Monsieur de Sales is a saint. He was fond of saying indelicate things, and used to cheat at cards. In other respects he was a perfect gentleman, though a fool."
0 Replies