Should celebrities use their fame to influence voters ?

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I see a major problem when a sitting president opposes stem cell research on religious grounds or suggests the Constitution should be altered because he is homophobic.

But how did we get off the subject of celebs?

I didn't know ethics were a religious issue. Does that mean atheists have no ethics?

I get it, being pro-traditional family is being homophobic. I didn't know it was the president that started the assault on the American family. I thought it was the gay agenda that started it in the courts because they couldn't win at the ballot box.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:28 pm
I agree with Merry Andrew. Stem cell research should not be a religious/political football. It is a legitemate field of study that should yield some great benefits for pretty much everyone.
The type of government we have strives to give equal treatment to everybody. Gay persons shouldn't have to go to court or the ballot box to get what is rightfully theirs. Due to homophobic other citizens, however, they are obliged to do just that. A gay marriage is not an assault on traditional families. It has no bearing on straight marriages.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
In our discussion about "Professional" and "personal", McGentrix avoided answering whether he was posting from "work" or from home.

Well, I post from home.

I don't do this on someone else's dollar.

THAT would be UNPRINCIPLED.

Nor am I some employee of a public agency doing political work at the public trough... I don't get paid to do this while ostensibly hired to do something else, nor do I receive any remuneration for my efforts... except for the satisfaction in knowing that I'm doing my part to inhibit our national slippage into Fascism.
The thought that some Military, Intelligence, and Law Enforcement personnel are paid (with taxpayer dollars) to sit at a keyboard and do political Pep Rallying makes my skin crawl.

There is NO goosestepping at MY house, and I intend to keep it that way.
Damned filthy cheerleader sheep are unwelcome on MY premises... even if they ARE "just following orders".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:15 am
Group of Bishops Using Influence to Oppose Kerry
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICKand LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Some bishops and Catholic groups are intent on throwing the
weight of the church into the elections.

Link

Should the Catholic Church use it influence and religious blackmail to influence [coerce] voters?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
au1929 wrote:
Group of Bishops Using Influence to Oppose Kerry
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICKand LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Some bishops and Catholic groups are intent on throwing the
weight of the church into the elections.

Link

Should the Catholic Church use it influence and religious blackmail to influence [coerce] voters?

Influence?....yes.
Religious blackmail?.....No
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
IMO if they intend to dabble in politics they should lose their tax exempt status.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
If AU's principles were followed, wouldn't all churches that stump for Kerry and Bush lose their tax exempt status?

CI--I don't miss the distinction. Bush is vilified on the board for contacting parishoners, while the Dems do it all the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
There is a clear difference between coercion and free speech.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
I was responding to AU's "dabble in politics" statement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:33 am
Sorry, if I misunderstood I Do Sometimes)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
No prob. Several of us are talking about different aspects of the issue. (You are a sweetie. Haven't ever been able to muster a good anger at you.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
Lash
Big difference when they, the Catholic church uses religious blackmail. They are just one step away from the Taliban. Indeed and based on the history of the Catholic Church given the opportunity they would be in lockstep with it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
Ted Nugent chews up liberals and spits them out in a single guitar riff. I like his style.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:25 pm
Reagan and Schwartzeneger won elections based on nothing but their fame.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:41 pm
Not having read the entirety of the posts on this thread:

Any chuckleheaded Hollywood Lib is very much entitled to express his or her opinions.

The sad problem is not that Babs and Whoopie spew their nonsense to an artificially created audience. Instead it is that there are people out there who are, actually, influence by Babs and Whoopie.

If you have come to your 11/2 decision thanks to Hollywood Hoopla, then (forgive me) you are a fuc*ing idiot!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:16 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I get it, being pro-traditional family is being homophobic. I didn't know it was the president that started the assault on the American family. I thought it was the gay agenda that started it in the courts because they couldn't win at the ballot box.

No, I don't think you do get it. What you call "being pro-traditional family" is indeed homophobic. When one group seeks rights for themselves, you look at it as if something was being taken from you. Not much different than having to share lunch counters or the front of the bus in the sixties.

Sleep depravation can cause delusions. Get some rest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:31 am
You go, Mesquite.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:18 am
Finn wrote
Quote:
If you have come to your 11/2 decision thanks to Hollywood Hoopla, then (forgive me) you are a fuc*ing idiot!

Do you find it acceptable for the intellectually challenged who vote for the evil one [Bush] making their decisions based on 30 second attack adds that spew exaggerations and out and out lies.
0 Replies

dollbaby1985

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
celebrity opinions
I feel that it is okay for a celebrity to state that they think it is important to vote & to be educated on the opinions of the election however I do not feel that a celebrity should tell anyone to vote for nor should anyone else tell someone else who to vote for. People should vote based on how they feel about the issues being put out there during the election & should vote accordingly. I however do agree that anyone who votes on what anyone says even a celebrity and not on their own opinion is stupid. Yes everyone should vote but educate yourself first, for the sake of everyone vote for what you believe in not what some celebrity necessarily believes in.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
Exactly. I've hitched my wagon to Mr. Nugent's mule train not because of what he tells me to do, rather, because of what he does.
0 Replies