Should celebrities use their fame to influence voters ?

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:11 am
I don't care for it much.

I know everyone is allowed to voice their opinions, but if I go to a Bruce Springsteen concert, it would be to hear the music. I would not want him ranting about the need for change in government. And this goes either way, Conservative/Liberal.

Anyone think differently ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,059 • Replies: 108
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:16 am
Entertainers have as much right to voice their opinion just as any other citizen does. However, I don't think a concert is the appropriate place to espouse one's political opinions. If a star wants to give his views while being interviewed on a TV or radio show or in print, that's fine...but not on their fans time and money.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:19 am
doglover wrote:
Entertainers have as much right to voice their opinion just as any other citizen does. However, I don't think a concert is the appropriate place to espouse one's political opinions. If a star wants to give his views while being interviewed on a TV or radio show or in print, that's fine...but not on their fans time and money.

My sentiments exactly.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:26 am
With idiots like Cameron Diaz saying if you think rape is ok dont vote...
it is hard to think celebs hold any more intel and insight than the average person. Yet they have a soapbox. But then so do the talk radio rejects,tv evangelists,etc.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:11 am
Exactly the point I was going to make.

The politicians, evangelists, radio personalities, as well as previous administration attorneys, so why not musicians and actors?

They may have a microphone but as already pointed out re: Brittany and Cmeron, people know when these actresses say something dumb / non contributory to their cause. I don't think someone will change their vote because of what she said, so it doesn't matter.

The current concerts are billed as political, so anyone attending should know what it is about.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:25 am
If they so choose to take the risk of alienating some of their fan base, why not? It is a free country.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:50 am
Yes, I do! I think there is 6* of separation between the highest and the lowest in society. I think that when the race for leader of our country(or any) is as close as it is this time, every citizen in the nation has an obligation to try to convince the people who haven't fully formed an opinion to think and vote which is an act declaring their beliefs. To not vote is to be like one who is dead. It is a right we must all exert this year, given our choices. To do otherwise is foolhardy. To use your sphere of influence is practical. Every vote counts this election! If we didn't learn anything else last election, I hope to God we learned that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:04 am
Sure, why not. I would.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:41 am
Echo Larry's comment.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:09 am
I think celebrities can use their fame or whatever they want to try to influence voters. Anyone has that right. I also think that anyone that is influenced by a celebrity's opinion on politics would have to be a complete idiot though. Unless a celebrity happens to have some experience or knowledge that would make their opinion creditable, I see their opinion holding as much water as the homeless person walking down the street ranting and raving.

As far as concerts go, as a consumer you have a choice to attend a concert or not. If it was known that the entertainer was holding a concert to support a political candidate or if it was known that they are going to state political opinions at this concert, I would simply not attend if I didn't want to pay for it. If they started going on about political opinions without knowing about it first, yes I would be upset - booing and complaining later as well not going to future concerts, boycotting records, etc. could also result. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:09 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Sure, why not. I would.

Hmmm...interesting and a little surprising you take that stand. So when Pat Robertson does it from his bully pulpit you are ok with it ?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:19 am
CerealKiller wrote:

Hmmm...interesting and a little surprising you take that stand. So when Pat Robertson does it from his bully pulpit you are ok with it ?

Why not?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
CerealKiller - Pat Robertson is no different than say...Jesse Jackson. That is what makes America great.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:50 am
i think they should be allowed to say whatever they want but not at a concert. If I paid to hear music I want music.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:57 am
Larry434 wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:

Why not?

If I tune in to a religious broadcast that is what I expect -- not political rants.

Seems like false advertising to me...religious bait--political switch.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
woiyo wrote:
CerealKiller - Pat Robertson is no different than say...Jesse Jackson. That is what makes America great.

Not exactly a glowing endorsement Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Pat Robertson is a citizen, as is Jesse Jackson. Let them have their say. I am not about censorship. Some celebrities are knowledgeable, some are not. Buyer beware.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm
Ceral - That is the risk every entertainer/celebrity takes when they enter into the political "frey". If I go to a concert, I do not want to hear their opinions.

But, this is America.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Pat Robertson is a citizen, as is Jesse Jackson. Let them have their say. I am not about censorship. Some celebrities are knowledgeable, some are not. Buyer beware.

Then why all the stink about church/state seperation ?

If I'm not mistaken you are a supporter of church/state seperation, are you not ?

Although the Robertsons,Falwells,and Jacksons are individuals and not churches they use religion as a political tool to sway a fair number of voters.

I thought that the founders intent in establishing church/state seperation was to prevent politicos from using the church/religion as a bully pulpit, as much as it was to keep the state out of the church/religion business.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Then why all the stink about church/state seperation ?

If I'm not mistaken you are a supporter of church/state seperation, are you not ?

Although the Robertsons,Falwells,and Jacksons are individuals and not churches they use religion as a political tool to sway a fair number of voters.

I thought that the founders intent in establishing church/state seperation was to prevent politicos from using the church/religion as a bully pulpit, as much as it was to keep the state out of the church/religion business.

Here is the founders intent re: religion and government, in its entirety from the Constitution's First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Period and amen.
0 Replies