Bush Flips Out

Harper

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
A definining minute (and 18 seconds) showing Bush yelling at Charlie Gibson and then yelling at the audience followed by Senator Kerry's calm response - "countries are leaving the coalition".

http://www.oliverwillis.com/stuff/bushflipsout.wmv

Tell me - which of these two men would make a better commander-in-chief?

and pass it on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,493 • Replies: 51
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
A loose cannon is not good in a president. It can explode at the most inopportune time - Iraq being an example.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:47 pm
Watched it Harper - I don't think he flipped.

He took his chance to thump the table and yell, but it was no flip out.

Heat obscures light.

I suspect, for many, it will be viewed as a high point - and that he did a great job.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:06 am
for many schlubs who define manhood that way perhaps.....he reminded and reminds me of a petulant child....
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:31 am
I was thinking "egocentric spoiled brat" engaging in "acting-out"... classic attention-getting behavior.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:32 am
my thought was, "he doesn't think he has to follow the rules".

not a good sign...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:47 am
I thought he was plain rude and obnoxious.

But for those who are voting for him, they will think he was acting appropriately given the provocation.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:02 am
The audience shots were revealing too. They are laughing at him.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Given the outrageously ignorant comment by Kerry, GW 's response was perfect. Kerry's stratagy can not be well received by England, Australia who are REAL ALLIES!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:46 am
I don't think he flipped, but I do think he came across as beligerant. At least that's what I was thinking at the time. They agreed to have a moderator but Bush didn't want to moderated.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:51 am
Again I wonder if we are watching the same clip...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:52 am
Didn't watch the clip, McG. I'm talking from memory of watching the actual debate. The moderator tried again and again to ask a followup question, it wasn't Bush's turn to speak, and he rolled right over him and had his say anyway.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:58 am
It was an important point to make. Bush did a good job of defending the "coalition of the coerced and bribed"

Gotta make the allies feel warm and fuzzy knowing that a candidate for the President has such a low opinion of their sacrifices.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:12 am
Bush should have waited his turn to make his pointless point.

At the time that bush decided to quit the inspections that he called up a united nations about there were only about five nations of the willing. After that more joined in and now have went back out again. More than half of them don't have enough troops or money in the effort to make their contribution mean something in terms of what it cost us in troops and money in the United States.

In any event, if he was a mature rational person he could have waited his turn instead of abusing his status as the sitting president to run over the moderator.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:24 am
the disturbing thing is how many times his mood changed on a dime. Most people have to ge really drunk for their moods to swing back and forth that way.....or be classic sociopaths.....this is a man with his finger on the button....not reassuring.....it makes one believe he would bow up if you pointed out he was wearing one brown and one blue sock....we all know people like this in our regular lives and we don't like or respect them and their behavior is not tolerated....but certain people seem to admire it in bush......go figure.

He used his position as president to bull his way past the moderator....doesn't take a lot of balls to do that.....I wonder if he was george bush the regular citizen and he was involved in a bar discussion if he'd have to nerve to pull the same stunt...somehow I doubt it....and that's why he garners no respect.....fear perhaps but not respect, and not fear of him but fear of the consequences of crossing him....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
Yeah, I got the sense he was trying to undo the damage from the last debate. He's surrounded by pretty smart people and they know that what's important in these debates is the overall impression you make -- more so than the actual substance of what you say. I'm sure they knew that Kerry came off looking more like the president in the first debate and that Bush needed to come out and re-assert himself as the actual commander in chief.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
Yep, plus evidently women (I apologize for my gender) like the tough guy stuff. That was a thing re: Kerry and Swiftvets, that women thought he should have fought back. I think this was an at least somewhat calculated alpha male moment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
Simply put, Bushie doesn't understand the rules by which most of us live by.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:58 am
The conservatives like to talk about how Kerry 'insults' our allies;

yet the vast majority of polled Aussies and Brits are against what we are doing in Iraq. And you want to tell me their governments are accurately representing public opinion?

The 'coalition of the coerced and bribed,' indeed. We'll see how many supporters we have if things continue along apace.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
McGentrix:

Quote:
It was an important point to make. Bush did a good job of defending the "coalition of the coerced and bribed"

And Bush could have easily waited until Charlie Gibson was done for him to make ALL of his points. He came off as an arrogant fool who was trying to look more forceful in his answers, probably because Karl Rove told him to not look so confused and stupid in the second debate.
0 Replies