Henry Clay

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:15 pm
Hello there!!

i'm new to the forum and looking forward to chatting with you all.

i having been working on a story about a local man who went west in 1852. during his time in the west he became financial secure. through old newspapers from the time he was in sioux city, iowa i found that he gave a public speech on henry clay. i am unable to actually find the speech he gave and have been very curious as to what he could have possibly said about henry clay.

i was wondering if there was anyone here who would like to guess on what the speech may have been about. the speech was given about 1855.

i do realize this is one of those far reached questions and answers, but i'm wanting to just pick your brain a bit.

thanks a bunch for your input. i truly appreciate it!!
C
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 628 • Replies: 8
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:18 pm
Since Clay died in 1852 the speech must have been a eulogy of some sort
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
Clay was a supporter of westward expansion and "internal improvements". That is investment by the Federal government is such things as roads, canals, the availability of cheap land and the like. It would not surprise me if the speech addressed these subjects.
0 Replies

christine 1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
thank you for your responses. the person i am researching was very interested in the opening of the west ( he was quite involved with railroads and gov't contracts)...so, my belief is that clay's interest in the west was probably what the speech was about.

i too was wondering if the speech could have been at all negative about clay? i'm thinking not...but have no way to clarify. any guesses on this?

thanks.

ps....i have so many more questions, i hope you all don't mind me asking so many questions. thanks.
0 Replies

christine 1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

christine 1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

christine 1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:34 pm
lol patience is a virtue christine

Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

christine 1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:41 pm
sorry my response posted so many times!! didn't mean for that to happen....i'm still trying to figure all this out.....is there any way i can delete 2 of my responses? Rolling Eyes

thanks
0 Replies