Bush, Kyoto, and the Environment

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:17 am
How should Bush have handled Kyoto?

Was he right or wrong, and why?

How should Kerry handle Kyoto if he is elected?

How has Bush been doing with regards to the environment?

What needs to happen globally, if anything?

Found this article while doing some preliminary research, looks very interesting:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996494

(Extension of discussion from a debate thread.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 29
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
georgeob1 wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

That being said; we are wrong. The reason we take the biggest hit is two pronged. First, we are the world's biggest offenders... and we all know it. Second, the reason the other industrial Nations won't be hit as hard is because they've already taken greater steps in the right direction.

Depends on how you define 'offender'. We are the world's largest consumer of energy. However we also have the worlds highest economic output per unit of energy consumed. (BTW the worlds greatest consumers of energy per capita are our very liberal Canadian neighbors to the north.)

The "greater steps in the right direction" the other industrial countries of europe have taken are (1) much higher taxes on gasoline, and (2) much greater use of nuclear power (50% of electrical production vs our 20%). (Moreover Europeans are awash in lots of cheap natural gas from Russoa and Lybia. Our wacko environmentalists resist LNG importation to alleviate our relative shortage of this fuel.) I doubt that you would advocate we take these steps.
Your doubt is misplaced. I've advocated a $5 per gallon tax on gasoline since Ross Perot first proposed it as a solution to our gargantuan dept. We don't have a lack of technology to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels... we have a strong lobby who opposes the reduction. Some of our power plants are beyond disgusting, and there is NO EXCUSE for this.

Whether some scientists are over the top on their doomsday predictions or not is largely immaterial. Pollution, to a large degree, is the byproduct of apathy. I am 100% behind taxing fossil fuels at an ever increasing rate until production of "Green Energy" is the cheaper, more cost effective solution.

Our current position is simply, flat out, irresponsible.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
The article was biased and slanted.

We don't need Kyoto "activated" so negotiators can get on with setting up a successor treaty at all. Nations can do this any time they wish to. The fact is there is not the collective will to take the actions some environmentalists wish to inflict on the world.

Kyoto was accepted by the internatinal negotiators only because it contained provisions exempting China, India, most third world nations, and all the nations of the former Soviet empire from any responsibilities under the treaty. There is little evidence suggesting that these nations will be any more willing to limit their economic development options during any subsequent negotiations than they were at Kyoto.

Clinton signed the Kyoto treaty about a year before he left office and never submitted it to the Senate for ratification. During that time neither he nor Senator Kerry took any action whatever to either advance U.S. acceptance of the treaty or to get any renegotiation of its parts (and Kerry was a mmber of the Foreign Relations Committee).

The treaty was already dead as far as the U.S.was concerned when Bush took office. Bush merely presided over the funeral.

Bush put forward a National Energy strategy that (1) called for provisions in the Clean Air Act to permit modernization of old coal fired power plants enabling them to operate more efficiently (and therefore emit less pollution) without the economic penalties of full current compliance which have for years been a disincentive for beneficial investment by the owners; (2) would enable the resumed construction of zero emission nuclear power plants ; and (3) would have subsidized the development of alternative fuel and power sources for motor vehicles. The Democrats reacted with politically inspired hysteria.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:07 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
[

Your doubt is misplaced. I've advocated a $5 per gallon tax on gasoline since Ross Perot first proposed it as a solution to our gargantuan dept. We don't have a lack of technology to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels... we have a strong lobby who opposes the reduction. Some of our power plants are beyond disgusting, and there is NO EXCUSE for this.

I don't think that either Kerry or any Democrat has or would ever advocate a $5/gal tax on gasoline. At least they are certainly not doing that now. (Contemplate the immediate effects on the economy.)

You are correct that we do have a technology to significantly reduce our dependence on some fossil fuels. The most important and promising of these is called nuclear power. The United States uses relatively far less of this source than nearly all developed nations. Do you advocate we use more of it?

Quote:
Whether some scientists are over the top on their doomsday predictions or not is largely immaterial. Pollution, to a large degree, is the byproduct of apathy. I am 100% behind taxing fossil fuels at an ever increasing rate until production of "Green Energy" is the cheaper, more cost effective solution.

That is at least a self-consistent position. I believe it is unrealistic, both politically and economically. It runs the risk of killing the economic goose needed for laying the golden technological eggs you seek. Indeed there is no guarantee that science will ever yield cleaner, more cost effective power sources.

We have some very good partial solutions immediately available - (1) Incentives for upgrading old coal fired power plants (producing roughly half of our electrical power); (2) Implementinf the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada and taking other steps to encouraging the development of more nuclear power plants in the country; (3) encouraging the construction of LNG terminals to suplement our supply of natural gas, The problem is that Kerry and the Democrats oppose all of these.

I guess you are left with fantasies about wind and solar power and hyrogen fuelled vehicles.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
Re: Bush, Kyoto, and the Environment
sozobe wrote:

Found this article while doing some preliminary research, looks very interesting:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996494

(Extension of discussion from a debate thread.)

Bush should've been more diplomatic regarding the Kyoto treaty. He thinks he's coming across looking tough walking away, but if everyone else moves ahead, and we remain behind, eventually we will pay for our actions, and pay through the nose. Think about it: fortune 500 companies already have manufacturing plants in many of the countries which support the Kyoto treaty, so big business will have to make changes in how they do business abroad... but not here... Confused
Kerry will at the very least hold the line and appear diplomatic: no going ape and jumping up and down shenanigans from him, unlike Bush when agitated... Rolling Eyes Bush's environmental policies are a joke!!! For him to come out in the last debate and claim that he is a good steward of the environment made me choke. What a joke!!!!! What needs to happen globally: globally we all have to care about this planet, or else find another one to go inhabit. Otheriwise eventually this one won't support life, as we know it today.

Jmo, fwiw.

Here's a better article on the Kyoto treaty and how it relates to our country: http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/20125/
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't think that either Kerry or any Democrat has or would ever advocate a $5/gal tax on gasoline. At least they are certainly not doing that now. (Contemplate the immediate effects on the economy.)
You are correct as to do so would be political suicide... one of the leading reasons Ross was defeated, actually. It wasn't an immediate plan... it was fazed in. As for it's effect on the economy, I'll quote Ross: "Is it gonna hurt? Well sure it is... but it's work that's gotta be done." I concur.

georgeob1 wrote:
You are correct that we do have a technology to significantly reduce our dependence on some fossil fuels. The most important and promising of these is called nuclear power. The United States uses relatively far less of this source than nearly all developed nations. Do you advocate we use more of it?
As opposed to burning coal? Absolutely. Though I don't share your opinion that that's the only alternative.

georgeob1 wrote:
Quote:

That is at least a self-consistent position. I believe it is unrealistic, both politically and economically.

Political suicide, yes. Economically; it simply needs to be fazed in at a rate that it is effective, but not suicidal.

georgeob1 wrote:
It runs the risk of killing the economic goose needed for laying the golden technological eggs you seek. Indeed there is no guarantee that science will ever yield cleaner, more cost effective power sources.
Nonsense. We have the technology to develop alternative energy right now. The harder we try, the more cost efficient it will become. Plus, I don't think you've factored in the damage we are currently doing into your economic equation.

georgeob1 wrote:
We have some very good partial solutions immediately available - (1) Incentives for upgrading old coal fired power plants (producing roughly half of our electrical power); (2) Implementinf the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada and taking other steps to encouraging the development of more nuclear power plants in the country; (3) encouraging the construction of LNG terminals to suplement our supply of natural gas, The problem is that Kerry and the Democrats oppose all of these.
As usual, my opinions are my own. I don't believe either Bush or Kerry give a rat's ass about much more than getting elected.

georgeob1 wrote:
I guess you are left with fantasies about wind and solar power and hyrogen fuelled vehicles.
This is where you lose me in rhetoric. Wind and Solar are not fantasies. In some locations, they are reasonable alternative sources of power. Why scoff? Personally, I think the greatest innovation will come from Hydropower… think about the Hoover Damn… and then consider the awesome power of the world's oceans. Idea Ethanol isn't that inferior to gasoline and could easily be used more widely, true or false? Some of the improvements we are not currently making because of "economic excuses", just don't hold up to scrutiny.

Recycling isn't always cost efficient either, but it is still work that needs to be done.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Nope, not my fantasies, georgeob1. Mine are filled with eating deep fried foods, then using the leftover grease to go holoholo(cruising) in my car. Laughing

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mikeadd.html

Solar and wind power are already usable, not any fantasy any more, and this is the next one which will become a legitimate choice to supplement our fuel crisis. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Cool story, PP!

A few facts about Hydro:

Energy

World-wide, about 20% of all electricity is generated by hydropower.
Hydropower provides about 10% of the electricity in the United States.

As you can see; it is not a fantasy, though it is fantastic! Idea
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:46 pm
sozobe wrote:

He should have handled it more politely. His main mistake wasn't to refuse signinging it, it was that he refused in a manner that had to alienate the rest of the world.

sozobe wrote:

He was wrong in his rudeness, and he was wrong in his assertion that we don't know whether the globe is warming, and whether human CO2 emmissions are a cause of it. It does, and they are. Still, Bush was right not to sign Kyoto. Contrary to environmentalist rhetoric, we can expect that the consequences of global warming will be non-catastrophic, and that they can be better dealt with by dike-building, malaria vaccinations in third world countries, and other technical measures like that. I think I posted references for this opinion in an old thread started by "Wolf", but I'm too lazy right now to wade through the (fairly long) thread, collect them, and post them here.

Sozobe wrote:

When Kerry is elected, he should do what Bill Clinton did: Sign it, file it without sending it to Congress, but be polite about it to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, I expect that this is not what he'll actually do. I think he will actually push it in an effort to earn goodwill of the world before he asks for support in Iraq.

Sozobe wrote:

I haven't followed his policies very closely, except for the Kyoto part. Judging by the accounts of people I trust, his environmental policies are similar to his policies on everything else. Strictly on principle, there's a good case for them -- especially for his "cap and trade" approach to reducing all kinds of harmful emissions. But he screws them up in practice, and he covers the screw-ups with ficticious advertizing. But as I said, I haven't looked at his "Clear Skies", "Healthy Forests", etc initiatives myself, so I don't actually know if these names are as Orwellian as they sound.

Quote:

"Don't just do something, sit there!" (Milton Friedman).

Most emissions, such as SO2, lead, and smut, are national, not international problems. The two global problems are Fluoro-Chloro-Hydrocarbons and CO2. For Fluoro-Chloro-Hydrocarbons, which are damaging the Ozon layer, current treaties are working quite well to reduce emissions). On CO2 and other greenhouse gasses, nothing should be done because while global warming is a problem, it isn't worth fixing given the cost of fixing it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Nonsense. We have the technology to develop alternative energy right now. The harder we try, the more cost efficient it will become. Plus, I don't think you've factored in the damage we are currently doing into your economic equation.

...This is where you lose me in rhetoric. Wind and Solar are not fantasies. In some locations, they are reasonable alternative sources of power. Why scoff? Personally, I think the greatest innovation will come from Hydropower… think about the Hoover Damn… and then consider the awesome power of the world's oceans. Idea Ethanol isn't that inferior to gasoline and could easily be used more widely, true or false? Some of the improvements we are not currently making because of "economic excuses", just don't hold up to scrutiny.

Wind and solar power now constitute less than 2% of our electrical power. Their operation is not as cost efficient as competing technologies and they both require lots of land, and present their own environmental side effects that are only rarely discussed. The most optimistic forecasts I have seen suggest they may double in output over the next decade. Hardly a significant contribution. The U.S. has nearly exhausted its available sources of hydropower. Right now our dams produce about 6% of our electrical power and many of them are under attack by various environmentalists for their direct environmental side effects and effects on some fish species. We will be lucky to even hold this source at its present levels. Ethanol requires agriculture which itself consumes energy. The net environmental benefit is positive, but less than generally advertised. A substantial subsidy is required to make it acceptable. Where does the money come from and how much energy is consumed in producing it?

Nuclear Power is immediately available, and, because it produces zero emissions, and consumes only slightly more capital over the life of the plant than alternatives, is enormously beneficial compared to all the alternatives. There are two generations of nuclear plant designs that have been perfected since the last plant was licensed in this country in 1979. Simply raising our use of this power source to that of the UK would meet the goals of Kyoto. Why does Kerry oppose it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
Bush does not negotiate; he's an arbiter.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
That's not entirely true Cicerone. The education bill was a bi partisan effort, You may wish that he would negotiate on more issues than he has, but that's another matter.

I doubt that negotiatins with France or Germany - or Islamist zealots - would get us anything.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:56 pm
Bush is responsible for underfunding the education bill or "leave no child behind" by 28 billion dollars at a time the federal mandates are exacerbating the shortage in funding our schools because of the poor economy that have reduced sales tax income. Many schools in California have closed, and many are now discussing shortening the school week to four days. Ya gotta back up bi-partisan benefits for our children with money - not rhetoric.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:18 pm
I suspect the Federal government's share of the California school budget is well under 10% of the total. California's schools have been in swift decline for over 2o years. They are solidly in the grip of an education monopoly of teacher's unions and liberal state politicians who feed off each other and the public. Don't blame that on Bush.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:33 pm
The mandates of leave on child behind that exacerbates school funding shortages goes 100 percent to Bush and the republican controlled congress.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:54 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Nuclear Power is immediately available, and, because it produces zero emissions, and consumes only slightly more capital over the life of the plant than alternatives, is enormously beneficial compared to all the alternatives. There are two generations of nuclear plant designs that have been perfected since the last plant was licensed in this country in 1979.

In addition to that, I seem to remember that at least here in Germany, a large fraction of the cost of building a nuclear power plant arose because every plant was treated as unique. Hence, each plant needed an expensive certification process to make sure it complied with the relevant regulations. The French solved this problem by having one standardized reactor type (or very few), certifying it once, and building copies of the standard over and over again. All those standardized plants were built with the blessing of the original certification. The costs thus saved allowed France to satisfy a huge part of its electrical energy needs with nuclear power . (I think 80%.) I'm not sure how much of a problem this was in the USA, and how much of the cost the French solution would save here. But I guess it could be pretty substantial.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 04:04 pm
Thomas: That final line is astounding... "Isn't worth fixing?" Shocked

Cicerone Imposter: Aren't there enough other threads for you to hate Bush on?

georgeob1 wrote:

Wind and solar power now constitute less than 2% of our electrical power. Their operation is not as cost efficient as competing technologies and they both require lots of land, and present their own environmental side effects that are only rarely discussed. The most optimistic forecasts I have seen suggest they may double in output over the next decade. Hardly a significant contribution.
I couldn't agree less. I don't look forward to the day these are our main source of energy. However, in certain locations... and certain applications they are the perfect source. I don't see how you can scoff at the idea of getting 2% of our energy from these sources. I feel the opposite. Really. I find it very encouraging.

georgeob1 wrote:
The U.S. has nearly exhausted its available sources of hydropower. Right now our dams produce about 6% of our electrical power and many of them are under attack by various environmentalists for their direct environmental side effects and effects on some fish species. We will be lucky to even hold this source at its present levels.
According to my hydro link, only 2% of the damns we've constructed are being used for energy. That sounds more like scratching the surface than it does exhausting the sources of hydropower. Also, you missed the part where I said 'oceans', where we currently don't harness any energy. I am 100% convinced we can (I have a secret plan on the drawing board myself :wink:).
Look at this exerpt:

Quote:
Hydropower is the most efficient way to generate electricity. Modern hydro turbines can convert as much as 90% of the available energy into electricity. The best fossil fuel plants are only about 50% efficient. (1)
In the U.S., hydropower is produced for an average of 0.85 cents per kilowatt-hour (kwh). This is about 50% the cost of nuclear, 40% the cost of fossil fuel, and 25% the cost of using natural gas.

Recent data shows that in Wisconsin hydropower is produced for less than one cent per kwh. This is about one-half the cost of nuclear and one-third the cost of fossil fuel. (2)
Hydropower does not experience rising or unstable fuel costs. From 1985 to 1990 the cost of operating a hydropower plant grew at less than the rate of inflation. (1)
Only 2,400 of the nation's 80,000 existing dams are used to generate power. Installing turbines in existing dams presents a promising and cost-effective power source. However, in the last 10 years the Department of Energy has spent $1.2 billion on research and development for other renewable sources like wind, solar, and geothermal, but only $10 million on hydropower. (1)

Oh, and the fish will be just fine, too.
Quote:
Environment
· Hydropower is clean. It prevents the burning of 22 billion gallons of oil or 120 million tons of coal each year. (1)
· Hydropower does not produce greenhouse gasses or other air pollution. (1)
· Hydropower leaves behind no waste. (1)
· Reservoirs formed by hydropower projects in Wisconsin have expanded water-based recreation resources, and they support diverse, healthy, and productive fisheries. In fact, catch rates for gamefish like walleye and smallmouth bass are substantially higher on hydropower reservoirs than natural lakes.

Really cool SOURCE page, complete with charts and graphs! Please take a moment to look at it!

georgeob1 wrote:
Ethanol requires agriculture which itself consumes energy. The net environmental benefit is positive, but less than generally advertised. A substantial subsidy is required to make it acceptable. Where does the money come from and how much energy is consumed in producing it?
Some energy is consumed in producing it. So? Where does the money come from? If I'm in charge, it comes from the tax on fossil fuel. Sound reasonable?

georgeob1 wrote:
Nuclear Power is immediately available, and, because it produces zero emissions, and consumes only slightly more capital over the life of the plant than alternatives, is enormously beneficial compared to all the alternatives. There are two generations of nuclear plant designs that have been perfected since the last plant was licensed in this country in 1979. Simply raising our use of this power source to that of the UK would meet the goals of Kyoto. Why does Kerry oppose it?
I don't know why he opposes it. I know I would prefer renewable resources for most of the world's energy, because I don't trust most of the world with the byproduct of nuclear energy. But here, in this country? You're right. Let's shut the coal burners down as soon as is possible... which, as you pointed out, would eliminate the need to oppose Kyoto!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 05:38 am
Thomas wrote:

Sozobe wrote:

When Kerry is elected, he should do what Bill Clinton did: Sign it, file it without sending it to Congress, but be polite about it to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, I expect that this is not what he'll actually do. I think he will actually push it in an effort to earn goodwill of the world before he asks for support in Iraq.

Sozobe wrote:

I haven't followed his policies very closely, except for the Kyoto part. Judging by the accounts of people I trust, his environmental policies are similar to his policies on everything else. Strictly on principle, there's a good case for them -- especially for his "cap and trade" approach to reducing all kinds of harmful emissions. But he screws them up in practice, and he covers the screw-ups with ficticious advertizing. But as I said, I haven't looked at his "Clear Skies", "Healthy Forests", etc initiatives myself, so I don't actually know if these names are as Orwellian as they sound.

Quote:

"Don't just do something, sit there!" (Milton Friedman).

Most emissions, such as SO2, lead, and smut, are national, not international problems. The two global problems are Fluoro-Chloro-Hydrocarbons and CO2. For Fluoro-Chloro-Hydrocarbons, which are damaging the Ozon layer, current treaties are working quite well to reduce emissions). On CO2 and other greenhouse gasses, nothing should be done because while global warming is a problem, it isn't worth fixing given the cost of fixing it.

OMG, I hope you're right about the whenpart! Exclamation

Can you explain a little more about the Kyoto Treaty to us Americans? I sort of thought it didn't really have much impact until Russia agreed to ratify it a few weeks ago. Until then, it didn't have much power behind the paper, kwim? And maybe Bush was even right to walk away if he had nothing he thought would convince Russia to sign, but of course, that wasn't the reason he walked away from the treaty, was it? It was for what it meant to American interests, wasn't it?

Polluting countries can buy part of the percentage of poorer or conserving countries, but if (let's say Ghana) were to sell a polluter their excess polluting factor, eventually they would maybe have earned enough to want to pollute up to their own maximum, right? (Maybe I don;t quite understand how it works, but that's sorta kinda how, right?) It's all to put a cap on world emissions, right?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:01 am
princesspupule wrote:
Can you explain a little more about the Kyoto Treaty to us Americans? I sort of thought it didn't really have much impact until Russia agreed to ratify it a few weeks ago. Until then, it didn't have much power behind the paper, kwim?

Even now, the Kyoto protocol only binds those countries which have participated in the process and which have signed it. The US have walked away from the process and haven't ratified it, so they aren't legally bound by the protocol if I understand correctly.

princesspupule wrote:
And maybe Bush was even right to walk away if he had nothing he thought would convince Russia to sign, but of course, that wasn't the reason he walked away from the treaty, was it? It was for what it meant to American interests, wasn't it?

I honestly have no idea what motivates Bush. My best guess is that it was some combination of "this treaty is more trouble than it's worth", which would explain the substance of the policy, and "lets go annoy some environmentalists", which explains the style.

princesspupule wrote:
Polluting countries can buy part of the percentage of poorer or conserving countries, but if (let's say Ghana) were to sell a polluter their excess polluting factor, eventually they would maybe have earned enough to want to pollute up to their own maximum, right? (Maybe I don;t quite understand how it works, but that's sorta kinda how, right?) It's all to put a cap on world emissions, right?

All of the above is correct as far as I understand it. Instead of pretending to have more expertise than I do, I'll just refer you to the Wikipedia article on the protocol, which provides two pages full of elaboration and lots of links for further reading.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
Thanks for that, Thomas! (Wikipedia.)

Your first two paragraphs in your long response pretty much sum it up for me.

Clear Skies is every bit as Orwellian as it sounds... I know more about that than Kyoto. (Very good feature on it in the NYT Sunday magazine a bit ago. It also talked about how the cap and whatever sounds nice but doesn't work in practice -- that it's an idea imported from another field, where it does work, into a field where its relevance is limited.)

OK, now have to see if I can find it...
0 Replies