Veg.

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:45 am
Exactly.

'The sceptic does not mean the one who doubts, but the one who inquires and searches, as opposed to the one who asserts and supposes he has found'

(Miguel De Unamuno, from 'My Religion,' 1924)

Cheers
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:55 am
Beautiful quote there carrie.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
Carrie, I am against PETA, NOT animal rights. Although, I am an omnivore and proud of it. I'm into biology and I feel eating meat is part of nature. If I could in these days and ages, I'd get out there and hunt it myself. I'm also all about allowing nature to exist in a world overpopulated with humans. Think about it, if no one ate meat, we would probably have made extinct all the animals that are only given land (and water) today because we breed/eat them. This is because we can't co-exist with most animals in our human-altered environments. We need to find more ways (like state and national parks, for example) to preserve land for them to live on.
But that's another conversation, for another day...

I got most of my information on PETA from the Penn & Teller bullshit TV series - you should rent the episode!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:18 am
Yeah, I get that, and I can understand why you may feel like that. And it's true, there are a lot of very sane animal rights campaigners out there, coupled with very nutty ones who take advantage of their position, and try and force too much down people's throats.

You know before I came onto this topic I had no idea that some of the things they did were so wacky.

I don't think I can get any Penn and Teller here in England. Have you seen any Peta TV?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
Cav - yeah, I love that quote. It's so true though, and re iterates that kneejerk reactions and assumptions are rarely the best policy.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:22 am
carrie wrote:
Yeah, I get that, and I can understand why you may feel like that. And it's true, there are a lot of very sane animal rights campaigners out there, coupled with very nutty ones who take advantage of their position, and try and force too much down people's throats.

You know before I came onto this topic I had no idea that some of the things they did were so wacky.

I don't think I can get any Penn and Teller here in England. Have you seen any Peta TV?

You don't get the channel "showtime?" They sell the episodes on their website, but they're rather epensive... http://www.pennandteller.com/

Why on earth would I want to watch peta tv? There are better organizations out there, but I've forgotten their names...
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:34 am
Peta TV can be good, their videos, taking the peta stuff you have sited aside, may clarify some reasons why people feel strongly about slaughterhouses etc. I'm not trying to force it on you, I just thought you might like to see both sides.

these videos may have been made by PETA, but what they show is reality. There's no avoiding that.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm
carrie wrote:
Peta TV can be good, their videos, taking the peta stuff you have sited aside, may clarify some reasons why people feel strongly about slaughterhouses etc. I'm not trying to force it on you, I just thought you might like to see both sides.

these videos may have been made by PETA, but what they show is reality. There's no avoiding that.

Sure, what they show is reality. But what they show is already (for the vast majority of what they show) against the law.

Why expose myself to graphic images of something that my government has already dealt with? Why do they feel the need to do so?

There are always going to be assholes who murder people or mistreat their livestock/pets, but if the government is dealing effectively with this problem, what good is it going to do to get worked up about it? It's cultish, how people gather and bond over horrific imagery.

Why not support an organization that espouses your beliefs and doesn't use warefare and shock tactics?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:57 am
I think if you look into these organisations, most of them, and the ones that I support do not endorse violence, including SHAC.

It is not against the law to cut chickens heads off with no pain relief, as the industry allows for a percentage to slip through the net;

it is not illegal to breed chickens to full weight in a quarter of the time it would have taken thirty years ago, and to inject them with water;

it is not illegal to call them free range when this means they have a square foot to grow in;

Battery hens are not illegal

it is not against the law to keep dairy cows constantly pregnant and remove their calves straight after they are born, of which many are instantly slaughtered if they are of no use;

it is not illegal to superglue dairy calves udders shut for the benefit of farm contests;

it is not illegal to transport animals in conditions unbearable to them, during which many die;

it is not illegal to stand an animal in a queue and let it watch another be killed while it waits its turn;

Think about your dog in the vet, taking any animal out of its environment and subjecting it to something scary is traumatic.

De barked dogs - not illegal
Putting tumours into cats brains and wiring them up - not illegal
Letting chickens wade in excrement up to their knees - not illegal
Live bleedings - not illegal
Veal calves trapped in pens no bigger than their bodies, having been removed from their mothers - not illegal
The killing box - made illegal by protestors

Why do you think people protest? Because it is mostly still legal!

It is not a case of cultish nutters joining together to worship murderous videos, it is a case of raising awareness of things which are very much still going on, and frequently exposed, at which point people are amazed, astounded, shocked!

The government is not necssarily combatting everything that is cruel and unnecessary.

I'm sorry if this is a bit ranty, but it upsets me a bit. I apologise if I have been too abrupt, but I am a member of some groups, and the stereotype is not true. Its like there's a whole seperate campaign against people that have an issue with this area and try to expose it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:02 am
I'm just curious...when they de-bark dogs, do they at least make canoes?

Just kidding, that is really nasty...good owners can train a dog to not bark...there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I'm just listening to something on the radio regarding the banning of pit bulls.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:14 am
Dog canoes...lol...see that's what I like, a sense of humour! lol

They de bark dogs in vivisection labs and Huntingdon Life Sciences so they don't complain, basically. They have to just sit there quietly, being subjected to metabolic tests etc. They also live in cages with rungs as floors, so their feet slip through and are injured.

I hate it when I get ranty. lol
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
What is it saying about the pit bulls? I'm intruiged...

And you're right, there are no bad dogs.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
There is a proposal to ban pit bulls in our city, based on a tendency to violent behaviour. I still think it's the owners fault, not the dog's.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
carrie wrote:
I think if you look into these organisations, most of them, and the ones that I support do not endorse violence, including SHAC.

It is not against the law to cut chickens heads off with no pain relief, as the industry allows for a percentage to slip through the net;

it is not illegal to breed chickens to full weight in a quarter of the time it would have taken thirty years ago, and to inject them with water;

it is not illegal to call them free range when this means they have a square foot to grow in;

Battery hens are not illegal

it is not against the law to keep dairy cows constantly pregnant and remove their calves straight after they are born, of which many are instantly slaughtered if they are of no use;

it is not illegal to superglue dairy calves udders shut for the benefit of farm contests;

it is not illegal to transport animals in conditions unbearable to them, during which many die;

it is not illegal to stand an animal in a queue and let it watch another be killed while it waits its turn;

Think about your dog in the vet, taking any animal out of its environment and subjecting it to something scary is traumatic.

De barked dogs - not illegal
Putting tumours into cats brains and wiring them up - not illegal
Letting chickens wade in excrement up to their knees - not illegal
Live bleedings - not illegal
Veal calves trapped in pens no bigger than their bodies, having been removed from their mothers - not illegal
The killing box - made illegal by protestors

Why do you think people protest? Because it is mostly still legal!

It is not a case of cultish nutters joining together to worship murderous videos, it is a case of raising awareness of things which are very much still going on, and frequently exposed, at which point people are amazed, astounded, shocked!

The government is not necssarily combatting everything that is cruel and unnecessary.

I'm sorry if this is a bit ranty, but it upsets me a bit. I apologise if I have been too abrupt, but I am a member of some groups, and the stereotype is not true. Its like there's a whole seperate campaign against people that have an issue with this area and try to expose it.

Carrie - of course there are still terrible things that happen, and people should stand up for what they believe in. I disagree with the majority of those practices (although I definately AGREE with animal testing). I also agree with cutting chickens heads off without pain killers, as long as it's quick. I don't care if animals see other animals die before they are killed. It's preferential that they die quickly and as painlessly as possible, but death is traumatic, but they aren't going to remember it after they are dead. As for your dog reference (and please keep in mind that PETA thinks dog ownership is slavery, making you a slave owner), being someone's pet is very different than being someone's meal. Our anscestors spent thousands of years turning real animals into the cute, little cuddly things we call pets. Many of our bred creations would never make it out in the wild, and they have been bred to evoke emotions in humans and resemble human babies. I would fight for the right to put five thousand tumors into cat or pig brains in order to save my mother's life (and the lives of countless other humans.) I think that you probably would too. Wouldn't you say, take a pig artery if it could save the life of your mother or father? Or yourself?
There are things in life that disgust people, but being groos isn't the same as being morally bankrupt.

When I made my last comment, I was specifically referring to PETA as an organization and their unnescessary use of horrific imagery.

Sure, stand up for things that you find immoral, by all means. But why A. watch graphic clips of things that -are- already illegal/dealt with on the television and B. torture yourself with photographs? That forms a sort of cultish emotional desire to end these problems, instead of a rational, effective way to adress them.

For example, wouldn't it be much more effective to campagn lawmakers? Support organic farming? Give money to an organization you trust that -doesn't- bomb medical labs and harass the pound? Make a personal choice to only eat organic meat or be vegan/vegetarian (for emotional reasons)?

Those methods would be much more effective than being bombarded with graphic imagery with no facts behid it on the tube. "raising awareness" through shock tactics (better known as binding people into a cult with graphically reinforced social bonds and money donations) has nothing to do with "dealing with effectively."

I love animals. I have pets who I care well for, am into biology, and very seriously considered being a vetrinarian/marine zoologist. However, when it comes down to the choice between life of an animal and life/health of a person, I choose a member of my own species. Sure, it's preferential - but that's the way that nature works. If people are abusing animals with no human benefit (ex: blood letting, cock fighting, udder glueing, dog abusing, etc.) I say give them hell with the full force of the law.

Animals don't need our patronage, they are not humans. Animals eat other animals. Animals die in pain, cruelly, etc. But this is absoluetly necessary to nature, this constant, brutal compation and transfer of energy resources is necessary to the process of adaptation. Nature needs a place to carry out its business - a habitat. Because what good is it going to do if every single animal is "liberated" and doesn't have a place to live and eat (and consequently dies)? Nature is graphic and fraught with competition (all with good reason) and we are also animals. But, as our population increases exponentialy, are (hopefully) intelligent enough to recognize that we need to save some habitat for other animals to live in. It is much more important to me that thousands of species don't become extinct due to lack of habitat than that a dairy cow have a more pleasant life.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:10 pm
cavfancier wrote:
There is a proposal to ban pit bulls in our city, based on a tendency to violent behaviour. I still think it's the owners fault, not the dog's.

I wouldn't ban pit bulls from a city, but let's face it, bit bulls are going to be mean no matter how they are raised, just like a tiger is going to be mean (towards humans) no matter how it is raised. Pit bulls have been bred to be vicious fighting dogs who don't take orders. Anyone who thinks they can make a pit bull good around children is in serious denial.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:14 pm
Portal Star wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

I wouldn't ban pit bulls from a city, but let's face it, bit bulls are going to be mean no matter how they are raised, just like a tiger is going to be mean (towards humans) no matter how it is raised. Pit bulls have been bred to be vicious fighting dogs who don't take orders. Anyone who thinks they can make a pit bull good around children is in serious denial.

The same thing happened with Cocker Spaniels. Whose fault was that, the dog's or the breeders? People still buy Cockers today, and nobody complains.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:20 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

The same thing happened with Cocker Spaniels. Whose fault was that, the dog's or the breeders? People still buy Cockers today, and nobody complains.

A. Cocker Spaniels were not as vicious as pit bulls (which were bred specifially for dog fighting.) [By the way, I've never even heard of Cocker spaniels being bred for fighting. They were a hunting dog, which is very different.] Cocker Spaniels have for a long time been bred to be good around families, take orders, and do tricks (pit bulls are notorious for not learning any commands, whereas cocker spaniels learn commands/are trained easily.) Pit bulls have been bred to snap and bite and be spontaniously agressive as much as possible, with no specifc target or training. Sure, you may get the occasional child death from a cocker spaniel, you may get the occasional child death from the edge of a table. Pit bulls are bred to be killers, and you will find a hell of a higher percentage of deaths and injury from pit bulls than from breeds that haven't been tailored to kill (such as the cocker spaniel.) If you had to bet on which dog was the most likely to hurt your child, which would you put your money on?

B. You know that dog breeds are all the same species, right? That any dog, wolf, cyote, or dingo can breed with any other dog, wolf, cyote, or dingo (where physically possble or artificial insemination occurs) and produce fertile offspring? But you wouldn't have a wolf as a pet. I hope.

C. Yes, of course it's the breeders fault. For giving them the body type/ genetics/ body and misformations that make them mean, terrible dogs. So why on earth would someone want to start out with a dog genetically predisposed to fighting and disobeying orders? It's not a charity case, it's just idiotic. If you want to experiment with nurture vs. nature, or take the time to breed the pit bull into a kinder dog, fine, but it's your own damned fault when they kill your children.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Cocker Spaniels were inbred, because of popularity with buyers, and the violent gene came out. Nobody (the breeders) knew this would happen. Pit Bulls are also bred to obey the authority of their master, despite their tendencies. Yes, they need a strong hand, but I still say it's the owner who is responsible for any attacks by the dog.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:48 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Cocker Spaniels were inbred, because of popularity with buyers, and the violent gene came out. Nobody (the breeders) knew this would happen. Pit Bulls are also bred to obey the authority of their master, despite their tendencies. Yes, they need a strong hand, but I still say it's the owner who is responsible for any attacks by the dog.

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. From a legal standpoint, yes, they should be responsible for their dog.

I thought you were insinuating that nurture was so much stronger than nature that, in the hands of a good owner, a pit bull would be nice.
0 Replies