What does "the point is not to" mean in this paragraph?

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:33 am
Here is paragraph:
"Dominance requires that you treat yourself as important, and thus you have to value yourself, which altruism does not permit. However, the point is not to believe that you are of more worth than you really are, but neither is it to think that you are of less worth. Egotism is an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and altruism is an understated sense of self-importance. Both attitudes are extremes on each side of the same spectrum"
What does "the point is not to" mean in this paragraph? Does it mean "the purpose of treating yourself as important is not to...", right? Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:07 pm
@thaisalem225,
Thai, good q. The point seems to be an inference in the first sentence that there's no hope for you if you accept two opposing points of view. It's 'way too complicated for your Average Clod (me) and so let's hear from some of the more academic
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:14 pm
The point of the [original writer's] idea of 'dominance' is not to...

The original writer sounds like a near-fascist in the Ayn Rand mould. His or her notion of 'altruism' is seriously flawed. Is this from some "how to be successful and rule people" manual?

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:18 pm
@contrex,
Thanks Con for relieving some of my confusion
Some not all
0 Replies