C-SPAN2 is once again the best place to watch the debate!

revel

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:43 am
The very fact that people can even say "hold his own" in relation to the President says a lot about the President. The only way Bush does well in anything is if we lower the bar down to grade school level.

Kerry did mess up by promising too much, it started to sound unbelievable even though he has figures on his website to back up his plan.

Bush was rude and obnoxious despite being able to contain his facial expressions. The little incident where he just got up and started talking roughshod over that fellow from good morning america was just embarrassing. To make matters worse he really didn't have anything to say to make it worth the rudeness.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:29 am
PoeticMisterE wrote:
Interesting I believe Kerry won.

I agree, but it was very close.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 05:23 am
After the first debate, I can just imagine the tongue lashing that was given to Bush by Karl Rove. This time he did much, much better.

Even so, Kerry is a much better actor than Bush, and slings the bullshit with much more clarity and sophistication. That is a given.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 06:53 am
Anybody know what an off-road deisel engine is. Bush said their emissions were being cut by the clear skies act.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:05 am
Yes, I know what an off road deisel engine is, if what he meant is deisel engines that are used in off road vehicles and use different deisel than those that are on the road... But, have no idea what law he has signed pertaining to their emissions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:26 am
perhaps he meant the off road deisel engines that ae used in logging equipment.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Anybody know what an off-road deisel engine is. Bush said their emissions were being cut by the clear skies act.

Off-road use diesel engines like in bulldozers, farm tractors and that type of equipment haven't had to meet the emission standards of road going vehicles although diesel fuel has been reformulated on an on going basis to reduce the amount of sulphur content etc., off-road engines are the next tier to be required to meet cleaner standards.

As of right now off-road diesel engines use a higher sulphur content fuel than on-road, it's a government tax issue mostly, off-road diesel fuel doesn't have road taxes etc. tacked on. Not really sure why they chose the two diesel formulas...I have a feeling it was a concession to manufacturers of the engines as in saving them the expense of developing the cleaner burning versions.

There aren't as many of these type vehicles in operation but still quite a lot. Diesel engines emit more particulates into the air, if you've noticed way more smoke comes out of the exhaust pipes on a diesel powered vehicle, that's where reformulating the fuel comes into play.

So when a bill is signed into law that requires a cleaner burn, a set of specifications have to be formulated and and sent to the manufacturers of diesel engines and fuel makers so they can acheive the desired result in concert.

The next tier will prolly be 2-cycle engines which are found on chainsaw's, motorcycles and boats etc. These operate on a fuel mixture of gasoline and oil so it's practically impossible to acheive a clean burn with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2-cycle engines aren't phased out completely in the next few years.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:09 am
Phoenix writes
Quote:
After the first debate, I can just imagine the tongue lashing that was given to Bush by Karl Rove. This time he did much, much better.

Even so, Kerry is a much better actor than Bush, and slings the bullshit with much more clarity and sophistication. That is a given.

No doubt about it. Trial lawyer trained Kerry rocks when it comes to slinging anything, and MBA Bush isn't so quick on his feet. I would venture to gamble that Kerry is an extravert, giving him an edge in the bullshit arena--an unshy extravert can easily speak and then correct. Bush I'm guessing is introverted and is more comfortable after he organizes a thought in his head and this requires a short lapse of time. An introvert is always going to be at an aesthetic disadvantage in extemporaneous debate.

Then again, its harder to debate when you aren't slinging a whole lot of bullshit. Does Bush exaggerate the plusses and minimize the minuses? Of course he does. What politician does not? What politician could and expect to be elected?

But I think Bush was trying very hard to stay within the scope of truth, however fuzzy the lines were. Kerry obviously wasn't even trying given the impossibility of the claims he was making.

That's why I give Bush the win on substance.

I'm still waiting for the media to jump on Kerry over that sawmill comment. So far nobody has.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Then again, its harder to debate when you aren't slinging a whole lot of bullshit. Does Bush exaggerate the plusses and minimize the minuses? Of course he does. What politician does not? What politician could and expect to be elected?

But I think Bush was trying very hard to stay within the scope of truth, however fuzzy the lines were. Kerry obviously wasn't even trying given the impossibility of the claims he was making.

"Back to the debate: The papers predictably bend over backward to offer Objective Analysis. A Los Angeles Times fact-check has the headline (online, anyway) "Kerry, Bush beat around the truth in debate." But while that headline emphasizes both the candidates' inaccuracies, the actual story outlines twice as many falsehoods committed by Bush. And while Kerry's distortions were more in the neighborhood of misestimates ("some analysts say he is underestimating the cost of his healthcare plan"), more of Bush's inaccuracies fell into the category of just plain wrong (Bush saying the Duelfer report said U.N. weapons inspections in Iraq weren't working, when in fact the report said years of inspections worked extremely well). If Bush uttered more outright fibs, why not say that?"

--Emily Biuso
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:23 am
Nimh quoted:
Quote:
"Back to the debate: The papers predictably bend over backward to offer Objective Analysis. A Los Angeles Times fact-check has the headline (online, anyway) "Kerry, Bush beat around the truth in debate." But while that headline emphasizes both the candidates' inaccuracies, the actual story outlines twice as many falsehoods committed by Bush. And while Kerry's distortions were more in the neighborhood of misestimates ("some analysts say he is underestimating the cost of his healthcare plan"), more of Bush's inaccuracies fell into the category of just plain wrong (Bush saying the Duelfer report said U.N. weapons inspections in Iraq weren't working, when in fact the report said years of inspections worked extremely well). If Bush uttered more outright fibs, why not say that?"

--Emily Biuso

I haven't hunted up a transcript but I don't recall Bush saying the inspections weren't working. I recall him saying that the Duelfer report said Saddam was deceiving the inspectors while he was swinging deals with accomplices. It did. Why doesn't Emily speak the truth herself?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
From the San Francisco Chronicle - excerpted:
Quote:
Bush won the debate with Kerry
- Debra J. Saunders
Saturday, October 2, 2004
I'LL CONCEDE, style counts. It was fair game for critics to say Democratic candidate Al Gore's demeanor defined his performance in the 2000 presidential debates. In that spirit, my verdict is: On the demeanor question, George W. Bush lost Thursday night. But he won on substance. You can count me in agreement with the 37 percent of Americans who told the CNN/Gallup poll that Bush got the better of John Kerry.
Kerry looked good and talked better. But every argument Kerry hurled against Bush also worked against Kerry.

Consider Kerry on the president's mistake in going after Saddam Hussein before capturing Osama bin Laden. Or, as Kerry intoned, "We can't leave a failed Iraq. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake of judgment to go there and take the focus off Osama bin Laden." I reread Kerry's very long and also ponderous remarks before he voted in favor of the October 2002 resolution authorizing force in Iraq. Kerry never mentioned Osama bin Laden. (Is that the fault of Bush, too?
And it's an odd omission considering the Kerry pose as international know- it-all, who ostensibly sees international affairs with a clarity sorely missing in Bush.

During the debate, Kerry observed that the first President Bush did not push U.S. troops beyond Basra. Said Kerry, as Bush pere "wrote in his book, because there was no viable exit strategy. And he said our troops would become occupiers in a bitterly hostile land. That's exactly where we find ourselves today."

So why did the world-savvy Kerry vote for the war resolution?
Whole article here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/10/02/EDG8E92FVG1.DTL
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/debatereferee/debate_1008.html

BUSH: My opponent said that America must pass a global test before we used force to protect ourselves. That's the kind of mindset that says sanctions were working. That's the kind of mindset that said, "Let's keep it at the United Nations and hope things go well."

Saddam Hussein was a threat because he could have given weapons of mass destruction to terrorist enemies. Sanctions were not working. The United Nations was not effective at removing Saddam Hussein.

GIBSON: Senator?

KERRY: The goal of the sanctions was not to remove Saddam Hussein, it was to remove the weapons of mass destruction. And, Mr. President, just yesterday the Duelfer report told you and the whole world they worked. He didn't have weapons of mass destruction, Mr. President. That was the objective.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:28 am
foxfrye,

Kerry has explained that too many times for there to be any doubt as to his position.

from the same transcript as above.

Quote:
KERRY: Well, let me tell you straight up: I've never changed my mind about Iraq. I do believe Saddam Hussein was a threat. I always believed he was a threat. Believed it in 1998 when Clinton was president. I wanted to give Clinton the power to use force if necessary.

But I would have used that force wisely, I would have used that authority wisely, not rushed to war without a plan to win the peace.

I would have brought our allies to our side. I would have fought to make certain our troops had everybody possible to help them win the mission.

This president rushed to war, pushed our allies aside. And Iran now is more dangerous, and so is North Korea, with nuclear weapons. He took his eye off the ball, off of Osama bin Laden.

If we had done as Kerry said we would have went through the inspections process and there would have been no need to go to war and so our troops would not have been diverted to Iraq for no reason. If we would had more allies that actually had more troops in their armies then we would not have had to send so many of our troops over to Iraq in the event that there were WMD and we could have kept more over in Afghanistan fighting the real terror war.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:09 am
Kerry has 20-20 hindsight, but is blind to the future.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:10 am
True dat
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:36 am
So, by acknowledging Kerry's 20.20 hindsight, you acknowledge the bush/CHENEY errors?

Can't do one without the other...
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:44 am
did anyone catch this re:pharmas

Quote:
my worry is is that, you know, it looks like it's from Canada, and it might be from a third world

Laughing riiiiiight.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:25 am
So Revel (and others), given Kerry's perfect 20-20 hindsight and his absolute firm convictions that there were no weapons of mass destruction and sanctions were containing Saddam Hussein, why did he vote to authorize the war?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
Because Bush said he would 1) get a coalition together (but really didn't), 2) negotate (but didn't), and 3) use going to war as a last resort (but didn't).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
From the same article (arguments I've been making for weeks but they are condensed here) - direct answer to C.I.'s comment is bolded. Remember that Bush did go to the United Nations to give them one more opportunity to enforce their resolution against Saddam Hussein. He told them flat out, you take care of him or we will. This was related to the U.S. Congress. There is no chance John Kerry did not understand we could and would act unilaterally if necessary.

Quote:
During the debate, Kerry observed that the first President Bush did not push U.S. troops beyond Basra. Said Kerry, as Bush pere "wrote in his book, because there was no viable exit strategy. And he said our troops would become occupiers in a bitterly hostile land. That's exactly where we find ourselves today."

So why did the world-savvy Kerry vote for the war resolution?

Thursday night, Kerry also likened going into Iraq in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks with "Franklin Roosevelt invading Mexico in response to Pearl Harbor. That's what we have here."

Then why did Kerry vote for the war resolution?

More Kerry: "Thirty-five to 40 countries in the world had a greater capability of making weapons at the moment the president invaded (Iraq) than Saddam Hussein."

Again: Why did Kerry vote for the war resolution?

Kerry's apologists say that the resolution did not authorize the war. Or that it only authorized U.S. force under certain conditions, such as moving against Iraq with the agreement of the United Nations. Not true. The resolution said, "The president is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate" (my italics) to defend U.S. interests and enforce the U.N. Security Council resolutions that Hussein was flouting.

What's more, Bush had warned the United Nations that it would be irrelevant if it failed to enforce its resolutions even as Kerry says he believed Bush would only go to war as a "last resort."

As it turned out it was not necessary. Some have gone home now, caving in to terrorist threats, but 30 nations remain with us. And for Kerry to dismiss them as 'window dressing' is nothing but an insult to our friends and allies.
0 Replies