LOST & MISPLACED A2K people.

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm still dealing with a recalcitrant old mac. Sometimes I can read but not post. Sometimes I can post after trying all sorts of tricks. I haven't used Safari for years, but had to go back to it after Firefox shut me off (computer too elderly).
I couldn't get a rise out of it yesterday, and only checked it out this afternoon just in case..and got it to work.

The good news is the new computer is here, at Diane's house. She ordered it for me as she has a working computer. However, it's in a heavy box that together we can't lift. One of our strong male pals will help, either Michael or one of my neighbor friends.

Hoping Letty will be ok.

I'm rearranging the workroom, but slowly, since I want to use this computer until I ditch it, if I can. It's not heavy... I may put it in the living room as an antique show piece.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I meant to mention that I can't presently get to pms. One of these days..
BillW

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You do know they make good paper weights? Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:44 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Ah, I figured out how to go to pms. Gees, this safari is weird..
roger

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 09:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm recovering from a hard drive crash. Same operating system, different browser and nothing comes automatically. It's much better than no computer, but there are definitely problems ahead.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 02:15 am
@ehBeth,
Glad I've never worked at a company that was in the business of deciding which sites were "faux news," and could therefore not be allowed employees to read.. and I've worked for Soros! Smile
centrox

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 02:37 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
... wouldn't the abusive messages have had to be addressed *to* the person in question ...?

Section 2 (A) of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, s.111 created an offence of harassment (which can take place online) involving one or more of these actions:

(a) following a person,
(b) contacting, or attempting to contact, a person by any means,
(c) publishing any statement or other material relating or purporting to relate to a person, or purporting to originate from a person,
(d) monitoring the use by a person of the internet, email or any other form of electronic communication,
(e) loitering in any place (whether public or private),
(f) interfering with any property in the possession of a person,
(g) watching or spying on a person.

You might think that (c) could apply ("publishing"), but just saying something nasty or hateful about a person would not fall under the legislation. It has to be directed directly, knowingly and calculatedly against someone. For harassment to occur there have to be actions - a "course of conduct" (a series of two or more actions); an existing victim (you can't harass a dead person - dead people can't feel fear or complain to the police), and both the harassing and its effects (fear, etc) have to take place within the jurisdiction (England and Wales or Scotland). [/quote]
Olivier5

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 03:49 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
As long as it is accessible from the UK, i think the UK can litigate against a2k (not against Oral though), like Germany did with Facebook recently

So any nation on earth can apply it laws to an American company on the internet?

No, but it can regulate what content is accessible from its territory. Internet is a media like radio or TV. If I want to broadcast a TV channel in America, I will need to abide to certain rules and regulations. If I want to publish a newspaper in the US, their laws will govern the things this newspaper can and cannot say, even if the mother company is incorporated in Europe.

Quote:
Would made an interesting world with such nations as Russia ,China and NK and so on controlling the content of American websites.

Welcome to the 21st century. China, Russia and North Korea already control/regulate what internet sites are accessible from their territory.
nimh

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:32 pm
@centrox,
That's interesting -- and I don't *only* say so because it confirms some of my presumptions. :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 08:57 pm
@nimh,
It was a surprise to me but they take all kinds of 'moral' stuff very seriously.

It's also a company where you have to wear a jacket every time you leave your desk.

A different corporate environment for sure.
nimh

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2017 03:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow, that does sound a little... intense.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:30 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Has anyone heard from vonny lately?

She is on temporary break (per a pm from her).
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
No, but it can regulate what content is accessible from its territory. Internet is a media like radio or TV. If I want to broadcast a TV channel in America, I will need to abide to certain rules and regulations. If I want to publish a newspaper in the US, their laws will govern the things this newspaper can and cannot say, even if the mother company is incorporated in Europe.

Good luck given Tor and VPNs to be able to block internet materials.

I remember being in Mexico and CBS was blocking all it radio streaming services outside the US due to music copyright issues and the funny part was that the radio streaming I wish to listen to was a all news station without music.

In any case, it told all of three to four minutes to boot Tor and log onto that stream as I picked an exit node for my tor network that was in the US.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:13 pm
I'm guessing CI (Tak) is having a good time traveling again.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
Has anyone heard from vonny lately?

She is on temporary break (per a pm from her).

Vonny's back online now, hurray!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:55 pm
@BillW,
It's been great seeing her again
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 05:16 pm
Appearing on my "A Christmas 2017" thread just now.
Lor Delpus wrote:

Nice to see some familiar faces in amongst the sea of strangers.

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE OLD SCHOOL ATOOKIANS!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 04:23 pm
Any idea what happened to ossobuco? Last here a month ago...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 04:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Her computer died. She is saving to buy one.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Figured that might be it. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies