How to say "English" in Latin?

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
Well hello! I'm new here, I've never seen such a big forum with such amount of members and I'm hoping i'll get some help.

I'm looking for the word "English" in Latin. English as in the language, not the people. Err help?

I'm a GCSE Latin student by the way. V. hard that is :S
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,252 • Replies: 9
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:25 pm
The english language and the latin language were not contemporaries. Since latin died before english was born, there could not possibly be a legitimate latin word for english. Just as there is no latin word for grunge.

That's my guess anyway, let me know if I was right.
0 Replies

Rhamag

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:38 pm
I know no latin, but the Romans must have had their own name for the residents of the country now known as England which they occupied, even if the local language was not English as we know it. Although maybe because the context is different I am wrong.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:13 am
Latin for Britian is Britannia. I know that... it's just the language. Oh well. It's not important anyway...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:40 am
The Latin word for "English" is the same as their word for "Barbarian".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:51 am
They were right then and they are right now.
0 Replies

Rhamag

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:36 am
Have you had some bad experiences with English people, Joe Nation? They tend just to make me laugh, but not as much as Americans do... :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
Anglus.

"Aderat anglus quidam, qui promittebat montes aureos Virgini Walsamgamicae, si vivus attigisset terram."
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:08 am
Ah! Thank you Joe!
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
It may have amazed the Romans that the guttural sounds expressed by the savages of terra anglia were actually a form of communication.
The Romans did what they could to push the uncivilized hordes to the north, and the emperor Hadrian had a wall built to keep them there.

Their enduring effect upon the local language is seen in the tongue of the Scots.
0 Replies