German Spy Chief:Bin Laden Is Alive; Iraq is failing state

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
Thomas
Thomas, very wise you are. That's exactly why those who adore George Bush should get smart and put their partisanship aside and vote for Kerry. Its the only thing that will save Bush's butt. Kerry can fix Bush's mess and W won't have to lift a finger except to move back to Crawford, Texas and request that his Republican buddies cooperate with a Kerry administration to do what needs to be done.

BBB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
I agree.

I even think, if the actual government knew, how diplomacy works, it could have happened earlier.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I said nothing about "owes."

Sure. But I was responding to Panzade, who did.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
I don't know what approach will convince Germany and France to get involved. I'm not even sure Kerry can accomplish the task. It's more important for Germany and France to recognize on their own, without the request from any US president, that world security should be of primary interest to them, and on that basis contribute what is necessary.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm
I did...and I was going to aver what I said but it doesn't seem appropriate in this thread and I will retract the word "owes"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's more important for Germany and France to recognize on their own, without the request from any US president, that world security should be of primary interest to them, and on that basis contribute what is necessary.

I'm more than sure, both are aware of that.

However, you can't really contibute more than possible.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:27 pm
But, Walter, "More than possible" must be evaluated on the basis of what would happen in an unstable world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:41 pm
The German press and media, btw, are focusing slightly different on this interview than AP:

Quote:

Anti-Western Sentiment Deemed Security Threat

The rise of anti-Western feelings in Muslim countries poses a serious threat, the director of Germany's foreign intelligence agency said on Thursday. He called for a renewed effort to capture "hearts and minds."

August Hanning, director of Germany's foreign intelligence agency, told a crowd of 400 policy makers, security experts, and social scientists gathered for a security symposium in Berlin on Thursday that increasing anti-Western feelings in Muslim countries poses a serious threat -- one that could not be dealt with by security measures alone

"I continue to see the rise of anti-Western feelings in Muslim countries," said Bundesnachrichtendienst boss Hanning (photo, below). Even more alarming, he noted, was the fact that the resulting terror cells were forging new links to transnational criminal groups, making the fight against terror all the more challenging.

To win the war on terror, Hanning urged the audience to look beyond the implementation of additional security measures and make a new effort to gain the sympathy of the Muslim world. "Have we really made any progress in recent years to win the hearts and minds of the world's predominantly young Muslims?" asked Hanning. "I'm afraid the answer is 'no,' as we haven't really tried hard enough."

Alliance formed with the underworld

Western intelligence agencies are becoming increasingly worried about the systematic strengthening of ties between terrorists and organized crime. Stefan Maier from the German Institute for International and Security Affairs confirmed that cooperation between the two camps was on the rise, despite their different political and economic motives.

"Common ground between terrorists and organized criminal groups can be found primarily in two areas," he told DW-WORLD. "First, the two come together in money-laundering activities: Terrorists often need to park their money temporarily with somebody else to cover up their tracks. Secondly, they need weapons, and they usually get them straight from organized crime."

Hanning pointed out that terrorists and organized crime have also begun forming teams to carry out kidnappings in Iraq. He maintained that 65 percent of kidnappings there were organized simply to raise funds, but added that, in the process, victims were very often traded to terrorists who pursued political objectives.

Taking the fight to the global stage

German Interior Minister Otto Schily, the author of two anti-terror law packages since the Sept. 11, 2002 attacks on Washington and New York, said that if terrorism was becoming more and more transnational, the fight against it had to become more international too.

"Police and intelligence units have to work hand in hand in the fight against terrorism," he said. "And we certainly need to harmonize our policies at a European level and beyond."

Speakers at the conference agreed that while military options would continue to be considered as methods of cracking down on international terrorism, other, longer-term concepts had to be devised to fight the root causes of terrorism, such as rethinking development policy in the world's poorest regions.
Author DW staff (ziw)
Source
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:49 pm
Walter
Walter, thanks for this perspective. I've been reading about the increasing link with organized crime. The most recent use of this tactic, including kidnapping, is in Columbia re the drug cartels, and in the philippines, I think. It is an ancient tactic, but becoming more sophisticated in modern times.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:27 pm
Quote, "German Interior Minister Otto Schily, the author of two anti-terror law packages since the Sept. 11, 2002 attacks on Washington and New York, said that if terrorism was becoming more and more transnational, the fight against it had to become more international too." He said it better than I ever could.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:02 pm
bookmark

(good posts by Thomas and Cyclo by the way)
0 Replies