German Spy Chief:Bin Laden Is Alive; Iraq is failing state

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:34 am
German Spy Chief Says Bin Laden Is Alive
Oct 7, 9:59 AM (ET)
By TONY CZUCZKA

BERLIN (AP) - Germany's intelligence chief said Thursday he believes that Osama bin Laden is alive and continues to exert influence in his al-Qaida terror network.

"All indications are that he is alive," August Hanning, head of Germany's Federal Intelligence Service, said at a news conference.

German intelligence officials believe, as they have for some time, that bin Laden is living in the Afghan-Pakistani border area, Hanning said. He did not specify which side of the border.

"We continue to see traces of his activity. He tries to organize, to motivate" his followers, Hanning said. He did not elaborate.

The Saudi-born bin Laden's organization is blamed for the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States and a series of worldwide terror strikes since.

Hanning also warned that violence in Iraq risks plunging the country into the chaos of a disintegrating "failed state" resembling terrorist havens like pre-Sept. 11 Afghanistan. U.S.-led airstrikes in Afghanistan ousted the Taliban in late 2001 for harboring bin Laden and al-Qaida.

A breakdown in Iraq would destabilize the Middle East, boost Islamic terrorism worldwide and might allow terrorists to put scientists involved in Saddam Hussein's weapons programs to work for them, the intelligence chief added.

Extending security across Iraq, with its diverse ethnic and religious groups, is "a tough task that will still claim many victims," he said.

"The outlook is dark if this task is not mastered," Hanning said in a speech at a terrorism conference. "In this case a trend like in Afghanistan or Lebanon in the past is a very likely scenario."

Stoked by radical Islamic views inspired by bin Laden, terrorist attacks and military action by U.S.-led troops are pushing Iraq toward "a crossroads" that could end with peaceful reconstruction - or chaos, he said.

Setting Iraq firmly on the path to security and democracy "is by no means ensured because the way there is still very rocky," Hanning said.

Hanning suggested that Western nations are losing the battle for the hearts and minds of young disaffected Arabs.

"I detect a still growing, generally anti-Western mood in the Muslim countries," he said.

Germany, along with France and Russia, was a leading opponent of the war in Iraq and has refused to send troops.

But Hanning said all countries now have a stake in the country's future because Islamic radicalism posed a global threat.

"That is why all of us have a common interest, whether we take part in the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq or not," he said. "This country must be stabilized."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 30
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
Re: German Spy Chief:Bin Laden Is Alive; Iraq is failing sta
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Germany, along with France and Russia, was a leading opponent of the war in Iraq and has refused to send troops.

But Hanning said all countries now have a stake in the country's future because Islamic radicalism posed a global threat.

"That is why all of us have a common interest, whether we take part in the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq or not," he said. "This country must be stabilized."

This attitude is why I think John Kerry's election has a good chance of creating a real coalition of countries to enter into the effort to save Iraq from becoming a failed state. It will be necessary to open up Iraq restoration and security contracts to other countries beside the US to encourage them to participate in saving Iraq.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
It'll be interesting to see how much longer Germany and France will stay politically "uninvolved" in this problem. Maybe it needs to bite them in the behind before they wake up to the reality.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
I actually agree with ci on something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:52 am
I'll have a drink to that! LOL
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:53 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how much longer Germany and France will stay politically "uninvolved" in this problem. Maybe it needs to bite them in the behind before they wake up to the reality.

Where do we stay political uninvolved?

Only, because we didn't join the war coalition?
(Besides, that 5/6 of both population amd 2/3 of the parliamentaries were against that - we had had to change our constituion when we had done so.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:56 am
I hope it's ginger ale ci, it's only 11:00 AM !!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
Walter, I'm talking about "after" all that. I don't blame Germany and France one iota for not getting involved in an unjustified war in Iraq. I actually praise Germany and France for not getting involved in Bush's preemptive war. I'm now talking about the aftermath of the "end of major combat operations" with the increasing world terrorism and insurgency in Iraq that are costing Americans and the Brits untold sacrifices. I'm only 100 percent sure that in the event it was Germany or France in such a fix, the US would go and help without any reservations.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:02 pm
walter, don't go there...it's a trap
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
panz, Not to worry, Walter and I are friends. We are only having a lively discussion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:05 pm
btw, I have lively discussions with my siblings about religion and politics. I still love them all even though we disagree on most issues concerning these two topics.
0 Replies

panzade

was kidding...
0 Replies

Thomas

As it happens, one of my favorite conspiracy theories is that the Bushies let Bin Laden go free for now so they can arrest him three days before the election....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:07 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm only 100 percent sure that in the event it was Germany or France in such a fix, the US would go and help without any reservations.

Any idea, what Germany (and France) do(es) in Afghanistan and re Afghanistan?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thomas, I didn't realize you had such good imagination! LOL
0 Replies

panzade

So Walter and Thomas...do you feel Germany owes the USA some support?...say if Kerry is elected?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm
It's important to realize that it's not the US that Germany and France should support.

It's Iraq that needs help right now.

A competent statesman could make a great case for this. Somehow I doubt Bush will be the one to do that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:10 pm
Walter, Most of us know about Germany's contributions in Afghanistan; the other hot spot is Iraq.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:17 pm
I don't know about "owes". "I screwed up, so now you owe it to me that you help me out" does not strike me as a compelling argument. And that's assuming that the American government admits there was a screwup, which is certainly too much to ask of George W. Bush. But I can easily see Kerry convincing Schroeder and Chirac along the lines of: "We're 8,000 miles away from Iraq, you're 1500. We can understand that you're not enthusiastic about helping us, but can you afford an Islamist anarchy this close to home?"

We can't. And if a new American president approaches our governments in this fashion, it will be hard for them to say no.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:19 pm
I said nothing about "owes." I'm talking about world stability that should be of interest to all nations.
0 Replies