Select the best sentence

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
Which one do you think is best in the following sentences? If none, please give your version.

(1) I came home after working hard all day long, and expected to have a good meal and a hot bath.
(2) Tired after a day's work, I finally got home, and couldn't wait for a good meal and a hot shower.
(3) Having been sweating all day long, I got home finally, expecting a good meal and a hot bath.
(4) Having slaved away for the whole day, I got home looking forward to a good meal and a nice hot shower.
(5) Being tired after a whole day,I came back home,wished to have a good meal and take a good hot water shower
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
1, 2 and 4 are all fine. The third example is rather awkward because of the locution "Having been sweating all day long . . ." which is not incorrect, just unlikely to be said or written by a native speaker of English. The fifth example has quite a few errors: Being tired after a whole day [of work], I came back home, [and] wished to have a good meal and take a good hot shower. As showers are comprised of water, "hot water shower" is redundant--everyone knows water is involved, and that a hot shower means the use of hot water. It is possible to make 5 work, but not worth the effort.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
Thanks Setanta.

I've been much inspired. Very Happy
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
I would question the use of the commas before 'and' in 1 and 2 but I'm not sure whether that's grammatical or just personal preference. I wouldn't use them.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
I understand your point, travelbug. Some teachers said the usage is an error, yet so many writers would like to use it freely!
0 Replies