Presidential and VP Candidates Lying?

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:07 am
Do you think that Kerry, Bush, Cheney, and Edwards are really lying? I mean, they have to realize that the media, and relatively intelligent Americans are able to check out the facts for themselves. Honestly, I think they are either making errors in their figures and/or stretching the truth. When one of these individuals are making a speech, they should have the facts straight, however, in a debate don't you think it may be difficult to remember all the statistics accurately? Isn't reasonable that they could make a few errors? Also, haven't you stretched the truth a little in a job interview? Face it all four of them either lied, made errors and/or stretch the truth. Should we be so hard on them as most of us probably have done the same thing? Or do you think they are out and out lying?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
American poet John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887) based the following poem on a fable which was told in India many years ago.

Quote:
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
It is more distortions, IMO, than outright lying. Like the percentage of U.S. casualties...different populations used in the calculation yield different results.

And like the distortion re: Cheney saying that Saddam and AlQueda collaberated in the 911 attack when he really said there was a relationship between the two, not necessariy related to 911.

Just to cite a couple.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:23 am
Excellent post, Phoenix.

In some cases, though, especially with political candidates, things are distorted on purpose in order to induce a certain response -- either from the candidate or the public.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:25 am
Linkat - I pointed this out in another thread, but your post reminded me that there's another factorto be considered here, namely, not being informed.

Edwards told the American people in the debate that rich millionaires sitting by their swimming pools pay less in taxes than the men fighting on the ground in Iraq. He obviously believes what he said and wants the public to believe it as well.

The facts don't support his claim since those serving in combat zones get a combat tax exclusion on their wages. Can he really be that misinformed or was he purposely throwing that sentence out because it would resonate with undecided voters?

I've not yet been able to stretch the truth in a job interview. I'm too aware that prospective employers generally check facts and I'd be too embarrassed to be found fibbing. Just not worth it IMHO.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:28 am
JW, you're being very selective.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:34 am
Sure he was being selective Free, but it was just one example. I think nearly all of us would agree that each candidate is guilty of the same thing. I am sure you can come up with examples of the same thing done by Bush and company.

The point is, words and numbers can be manipulated to prove just about any point of view. And that is what most politicians do. After all, if you have an opposing view on a subject than your opponent and you have only one set of numbers, ya gotta paint them in a light that makes your side look right.

Phoenix, excellent reference to demonstrate this point. Couldn't have done better myself.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:37 am
I hope they're lying. If they're telling the truth we're kaput.

I found particularly interesting Mr. Edwards promise "we'll make the same level of health care currently available to Senators and Congressmen available to all Americans". I got news for you. There isn't enough money or doctors available on God's Green Earth to do that.

I'm reminded of a quote from Alexander Tyler written in 1778:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship".

I am very much afraid that within most of our lifetimes we'll see this come to pass.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:46 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Sure he was being selective Free, but it was just one example. I think nearly all of us would agree that each candidate is guilty of the same thing. I am sure you can come up with examples of the same thing done by Bush and company.

The point is, words and numbers can be manipulated to prove just about any point of view. And that is what most politicians do. After all, if you have an opposing view on a subject than your opponent and you have only one set of numbers, ya gotta paint them in a light that makes your side look right.

Phoenix, excellent reference to demonstrate this point. Couldn't have done better myself.

Exactly my point. We could easily turn this into a 'your candidates lie more than my candidates' argument. But the point really is about dishonesty in politics. Hence my comment.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
duplicate deleted
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:51 am
I agree FreeDuck, I think they stretch the truth or distort in their favor - similar to how most people handle job interviews.

JustWonders - I consider stretching the truth in a job interview being on items that cannot be proven or are a little more subjective. For example, if the job requires you to be well organized and you say one of your major strengths is organization. When you are only average at organization. Not something like you received this or that award, but never did.

Jim - do you think Edwards was out and out lying or just naïve? Or perhaps wishful thinking?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
Linkat - I suspect politicos of all stripes play to the audience - and then worry about if their promises are even possible only after the votes have been counted.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
A lie is a lie but only when uttered by the other guy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:08 pm
Re: Presidential and VP Candidates Lying?
Linkat wrote:
Do you think that Kerry, Bush, Cheney, and Edwards are really lying? I mean, they have to realize that the media, and relatively intelligent Americans are able to check out the facts for themselves. Honestly, I think they are either making errors in their figures and/or stretching the truth. When one of these individuals are making a speech, they should have the facts straight, however, in a debate don't you think it may be difficult to remember all the statistics accurately? Isn't reasonable that they could make a few errors? Also, haven't you stretched the truth a little in a job interview? Face it all four of them either lied, made errors and/or stretch the truth. Should we be so hard on them as most of us probably have done the same thing? Or do you think they are out and out lying?

Welcome to the world of Spin, where lying is somehow neutralized.

Unfortunately, the media, and to some extent the American public continue to punish people who tell the unadulterated truth, and reward the Spinmeisters.

Walter Mondale (no hero of mine, but an honest man) told the simple truth that the only way to provide the services he was promising (and which the public indicated it wanted) and at the same time reduce the Reagan deficit was to raise taxes.

His reward for honesty? He got crushed in the election.

I try to refrain from bashing my fellow Americans as a group, but it does seem to me that we are of two minds when it comes to what politicians tell us:

We want them to tell us the truth, as long as it is what we want to hear.

This dynamic doesn't only rule political communication, it has invaded the work place, and social settings as well.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
Are they lying? Sure they are? Does it matter? Of course it does not. The American public and I guess the world over expect that politicians to lie and oddly enough they accept it. The politicians on he other hand believe in the big lie theory. Tell a lie often enough and the public especially those who vote based on sound bites will believe it. That can be witnessed by the power of the attack ads.
I have no statistics to cite however I have little doubt that at least half of the voting population votes based upon those 30 second sound bites.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
I'm not sure of the difference (don't think there is any) between lying and "stretching the truth"...but I think it is possible to establish that they were lying.

In fact, I have scientific evidence that they were...evidence which is damn near conclusive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
As Bush and Kerry prove, insanity is the most contagious of diseases
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
Bush Crediibility Gap
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
Linkat, have you seen the op-ed piece by Paul Krugman that has been posted a few times? It expresses my own opinions on these things very well.

When Kerry and Edwards do it at all, it is usually more about exaggerations to make valid points. 200 billion instead of 120 billion -- but 120 billion is still a lot of money. That the very rich are not paying as high of a tax rate as you might think. That kind of thing.

Bush and Cheney do that too of course, but they also do these bald-faced lies that are fundamentally wrong. Have you seen this?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35503

I took apart Cheney's especially brazen lie from the VP debate regarding Edwards' attendance record at the Senate. ("This is the first time I've met you.") It's not only technically untrue (he'd met Edwards at least three times previously that are on the record) but fundamentally untrue, as Edwards has an excellent record and has presided over the Senate as often as Cheney -- twice.

So, yes politicians stretch and condense and do what they can to hammer their point home -- but I think Bush and Cheney have been far worse on the bald-faced, fundamentally dishonest front.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:52 pm
Here's the op-ed piece I was referring to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/12/opinion/12krugman.html
0 Replies