The continuing (and growing) influence of the Koch brothers' operations over US politics

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:09 pm
A few days ago, I wrote here that one story not yet being told concerned the essential role of the Koch brothers' network on election results. In some other posts, I've pointed to how the people around Trump and the people being chosen by him are mostly tailor-made to get the Koch boys pretty much all they want. I expected Jane Mayer to publish something on this but she hasn't yet (or nothing that has turned up via my google news alert on her).

But Theda Skocpol and others now have written on exactly this subject. If you don't know Skocpol, look her up and go to youtube to watch speeches she's delivered. She is one of the smartest political scientists working in the US presently. Here's the first two graphs of the piece.
Quote:
At first glance, the victory of Donald Trump suggests that big political money has less clout than imagined in U.S. democracy. Not only are defeated Democrats consumed with blame-shifting and calls to deliver better messages to a supposedly crucial “white working class,” but pundits are portraying President-Elect Trump as a populist politician unmoored from the establishment or big donors. Some journalists even suggest that the hundreds of conservative millionaires and billionaires organized by Charles and David Koch lost relevance this time – because the two brothers personally refused to endorse Trump and their donor network cut back originally projected spending from almost a billion to a “mere” $750 million.

But we beg to differ. As researchers who have been tracking the long-term rise and recent impact of the Koch network, we see a very different picture. During the election campaign, Trump relied upon well-established conservative organizational networks that could reach into many states and communities. He made overt deals with the National Rifle Association and the Christian right, and he benefitted indirectly from Koch network operations centered in a nation-spanning, political party-like federation called Americans for Prosperity. Even more important, after his campaign squeaked through on November 8, an unprepared President-Elect Trump started to fall back on people and plans offered by the Koch network, which aims to dismantle not only Barack Obama’s accomplishments but much of what the federal government has done for 75 years to promote security and opportunity for ordinary Americans
. http://bit.ly/2f08Q17
PS... I'll politely request that if you wish to discuss this topic here that you read the piece in its entirety and do so carefully.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 515 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:49 pm
@blatham,
What bothers me most about the Koch Brothers is their racial bigotry, and their wealth to spread hate and ignorance.
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am not aware of (thought perhaps I've forgotten) any overt racism from these guys, certainly not in recent years. Their father was a key figure in the John Birch society, of course, and they've learned not to openly say certain things but I have no evidence they concur with the bigotry of the JB movement.

Still, in a sense it doesn't matter if they harbor such sentiments because they have been and are acting now to thwart maximal voting (by African Americans and Latinos particularly but also any group that can be expected to vote predominately for the Dem party. That makes them functional racists in any case.

But that's really not the big thing here which is the ultra-extremism of their political ideas. They are so inculcated with the notion that liberal democracy and social programs are an axiomatic evil that they will (and have) built up a vast organization which has the goal of ensuring their political vision is implemented and that progressive/liberal governance is thoroughly and permanently prohibited. They are the most threatening force for the destruction of real democracy in the US because they do not believe in it and because of the level of wealth and organization at their disposal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:24 pm
@blatham,
http://www.alternet.org/7-disturbing-facts-about-koch-brothers-relationship-race-and-civil-rights
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. I'm familiar with that data. But again, this points to a functional racism (they will happily include racist individuals and organizations in their network or support them financially) rather than personal sentiments about non-whites.

If there is some concrete evidence that, like Trump and his father who purposefully acted to keep African Americans out of their buildings, that would be something else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:53 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
RSS
REBLOGGED BY
Daily Kos

The Bridge Project recently released a 16 page report [pdf] detailing the some of the most egregious of the Koch brothers' political efforts to make life as miserable as possible for minorities, the elderly, and pretty much everyone who isn't rich. Alternet distills it down to the seven worst among their "efforts to dismantle years of civil rights progress."
Alternet highlights the Kochs' union-busting efforts. That includes most recently their support for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (including dirty tricks in the recall election), the poster child for destroying labor. Unions have been credited with raising many out of poverty and solidly into the middle-class, but particularly minorities who gained much-needed job protections. It almost goes without saying that in addition to crush labor, the Kochs are also steadfastly opposed to raising the minimum wage. "Since the 1990s, the Kochs have given at least $23.3 million to think tanks focusing on attacking the minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage would create a 'culture of dependency,' they claim."

You can't really call that out-and-out racist. But this one, you can. There was this underreported nugget from the Koch's super-secret summit this summer in California: "Besides a number of notable Republican politicians in attendance, one of the most controversial men giving "dinner remarks" was Charles Murray, a co-author of The Bell Curve, a book which argued that blacks and Latinos have lower IQs than Asians and whites."
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I'm aware of Murray and his work. He is a speaker who has been welcomed in right wing circles for two decades as an ideological and political intellectual who "validates" certain helpful notions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 07:32 pm
I've noted this elsewhere but it should be included here as well being highly relevant to the topic
Quote:
Trump To Gut NASA's Climate Research Over Claims It's Been 'Politicized'
http://bit.ly/2giTIvO

I could go on about Trump's complete ignorance of the relevant issues but Jon Chait has already done it. http://nym.ag/2giTfK3
He's not acting out of any knowledge or even any discernible philosophy. He's either being manipulated by the people and forces around him without a sense of that or he is aware but feels he needs to keep these powerful interests on his side.

Vox also has a great piece on all of this including the wide benefits that NASA's research gives the US and the world. http://bit.ly/2giPrbA

One of the most egregious aspects to what Walker and those like him are doing is making the claim that climate research is "politicized". By which he/they imply that the scientific findings are warped or false because some political agents are somehow convincing the scientists involved to find X but not Y, and these scientists are playing along for reasons usually unstated. There's one exception to that which I'll address below.

Of course, this is a completely disingenuous and propagandist narrative. The science on GW emerged slowly until the present where scientific consensus is overwhelming in conclusion about the reality of GW and the dire threat it poses for nations/peoples around the world and to the world's ecosystems. But there has been politicization, for sure, though it is coming from political agents serving the interests of energy industries (the research on this is deep and there's lots of it).

Finally, the motive most often given for scientists fabricating results or hiding contrary results, etc is "There's money to be made by them". The fundamental notion there is that where ever money arrives in a human situation, one must presume that individual greed will always or often overturn other considerations such as professional ethics. That's a bad argument for lots of reasons but in this particular case, it's about as lousy as arguments get. Why? Because if you hold that a financial interest inevitably corrupts, then you ought not to be looking at a relatively small number of scientists (who'd mostly be working on other questions for not much money) but you'd be looking at the wealthiest industries in the history of the world and the threat to their bottom lines.
0 Replies