What does "mental mold built of beliefs" mean in this paragraph?

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 11:46 am
Here is the paragraph:
"The first impression becomes an idea of how someone is, like a mental mold built of beliefs, and people then nonconsciously look for confirmation of those initial beliefs while discarding details that might contradict them. Supposedly, we form an opinion of someone during the first three seconds of meeting them. Then, during the following 30 seconds, we shape up that initial impression and try to fit whatever new information that comes up into reinforcing that first impression."
Can you explain the meaning of the expression "mental mold built of beliefs"? Thank!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,696 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 12:00 pm
@thaisalem225,
My interpretation, Thai, is the apparent rigidity of a set of beliefs that might at first convey the wrong impression. However many if not most of us do qualify: If I belong to religion or political following C, then I must believe D, E, F,and G
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:32 pm
From www.grammarist.com

Mold vs. mould. American English has no mould, and British English has no mold. In other words, the word referring to (1) the various funguses that grow on organic matter or (2) a frame for shaping something is spelled the same in both uses, and the spelling depends on the variety of English.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:00 pm
@thaisalem225,
Seems like first impressions that takes hold in a person's mind. It can be about someone that's attractive, the religion you accept for the reminder of your life, the bias towards your mother's cooking, and your concept of good and bad. Or, it can be beliefs built over many years.
0 Replies