check this sentence

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm
It is possible that the damage is the result of natural shadowing and raising due to the natural freezing and <froing> cycle in this area.

is it correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,557 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
no - I don't quite understand your meaning - at the end do you mean freezing and thawing? the beginning I don't understand
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
can you make out what is wrong with the sentence from this??

We did in fact verify that two cement slabs will need to be replaced and the brick patio will need to be removed, regraded and reset.

However, at this time we are unable to determine whether or not the damages to the cement slabs and the brick patio are directly related to this loss. It is possible that the damage is the result of natural shadowing and raising due to the natural freezing and <froing> cycle in this area.

We do however note that the claimant would make a very sympathetic witness on her own behalf. She is an elderly widow however, she is coherent and knowledgeable.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:29 pm
to-ing and fro-ing means going back and forth between two discrete states

in this case, they are referring to the expansion due to freezing causing the slabs to be raised and lowered periodically

I think that triangular brackets can be used synonymously with square brackets, but these are usually used to indicate an implied word in a quote, and in this case it is not an implied word but a required word in the original sentence...so I would say that is wrong. I also think froing should be hyphenated if it is used.

normally we would expect to see to-ing and fro-ing (to/from), but freezing does adequately describe going to the frozen state so I think it's ok to use fro-ing to describe returning from that state

why are you so concerned with the grammatical correctness rather than the meaning?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
mmm - I don't agree that fro-ing is ok in this sentence - I think it can only really be used with to-ing. It isn't a word in common use other than in this context.

The mention of shadowing is not clear in meaning either.

I see that it is a technical discussion but still don't think that this is right. I think you need to explain displacement due to freezing and thawing, rather than use the terms above.
0 Replies