Meeting was not first for Cheney/Edwards

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20041006_463.html

This explains why Edwards was so shocked when he said it.

Quote:
Vice President Dick Cheney said Tuesday night that the debate with Democratic Sen. John Edwards marked the first time they had met. In fact, the two had met at least three times previously.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,969 • Replies: 40
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
But those meetings happened in odd-numbered years, so they don't count. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:52 am
Or maybe Cheney is having early signs of Alzheimers and just can't remember.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
LOL!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
I think Cheney said he hadn't seen him 'on the Senate floor'.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:05 am
""Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight," Cheney told Edwards during the debate.
"

OK, what part of this quote do the Bushwackers NOT understand?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:07 am
What part of "Cheney was wrong" do you not understand, Woiyo?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:08 am
not that I think this is important but on MSNBC (Chris Mathews) it was reported that when Cheney comes over to the Senate on his tues morning visits, he only meets with the republican caucus. Last I knew Edwards was not a republican. However Cheney did say that he was disappointed that there was not the bi-partisan co-operation he had expected (He was looking at his shoes when he said that)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:13 am
Yeah, a couple of times he looked like that. It's why I say he actually came off a little more human in the debate. By the second half, he seemed tired of attacking. I think his stance on gay marriage and his comments thanking Edwards for the kind words about his family were touching.

But what the heck? In his closing statement he thanked only the moderator. I wonder what's up with that?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:17 am
Frank - Apparantly the quote is way beyond your ability to comprehend.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
woiyo wrote:
""Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight," Cheney told Edwards during the debate.
"

OK, what part of this quote do the Bushwackers NOT understand?

"The first time I ever met you was when you walked on stage tonight" is a lie. He met Edwards at least three times previously.

Seems pretty straightforward.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
SOZO - LOL!!!!!

In the context of the ENTIRE STINKIN QUOTE he is referencing THE SENATE!!!!!

The only thing straightforward is the inability of Bushwackers read and comprehend what they read!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
"The first time I ever met you" breaks that context, woiyo.

"Ever."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:36 am
woiyo wrote:
Frank - Apparantly the quote is way beyond your ability to comprehend.

Apparently it is beyond yours, woiyo.

Cheney said he had never met Edwards before he walked on the stage that evening.

It has now been established that the two did meet before...and in fact, Edwards' wife called the meeting to Cheney's attention when she walked on stage after the debate.

It is one thing that you do not have the intellectual ability to comprehend the words, Woiyo, but it is another to pretend others do not...and to actually highlight your lack in an Internet forum.

Tight up.

I know it must be tough to watch your ship sinking the way it is.

But be an adult about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:40 am
Oh that's what she was saying! I thought she looked pretty happy, was wondering what was up. Go Elizabeth!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
LOL!!!

Have a wonderful spin day Bushwackers!!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
If Cheney had meant to say:

"Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. I've never seen you on the Senate floor."

...he could have said that...and saved people like Woiyo the bother of pretending it makes more sense to deal with what he meant...than with what he said.

But he didn't.

He said: "Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight," Cheney told Edwards during the debate. "

Watching someone like Woiyo try to turn that around into a negative for the people noting what ACTUALLY WAS SAID...is truly funny.

I'm about to go out and play 18 holes. I needed a good laugh to help clear my mind.

Love ya, Woiyo. Thanks for the laugh.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:04 am
Maybe I am a bit dense, but what in blazes difference does any of this make? Cheney either phrased his statement in a way that made the meaning appear other than what he meant or he was highly mistaken. Or he could certainly have been lying, but for what purpose?

In any case, I really don't see what the big flap is about. Who cares when they met, how often, or whatever? I think the only obvious reason for Cheney to say anything at all about meeting Edwards would be in the context of never seeing him in the senate. But again, what is the big deal? It is not like this statement is going to mean anything in the long run.

I can't even believe I am wasting my time reading and responding to something so stupid. Geesh, I must be bored.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:07 am
It was just a cheap shot, that's all.

There were much bigger lies told last night than that. It's just that that one was so hollow and easily refuted that it hit early today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:09 am
CR, it's important because such an assertion by Cheney is quite damning. That a senator could go 4 years without ever meeting the vice president (who is a leader in the senate, can't remember which one) would indicate that he never showed up for work. That's quite an accusation.

We expect candidates to spin and exaggerate in the debates, but this one is a doozy.
0 Replies