I know there is never a "right" time but...

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 07:48 pm
Oh, and by the way, as far as I know the PM function is still not working. But if you were wondering in response to this thread, feel free to email me at
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
I never wanted one child....I have five....I love them all and regret nothing.........man proposes God disposes....with a little help from the "little bear"
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:00 pm
Tell me the truth BPB... you're just trying to start your own hard rock version of the Partridge family aren't you?

I guess I can assume that your first was of the "Surprise! I'm pregnant" variety?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:11 pm
As a general observation, JP, I think your questions are great ones and show, themselves, that you're ready.

One thing, it varies from person to person of course but don't assume that as soon as you start trying it'll happen (we did.) The "saving half my salary for a year" thing happened in part 'cause it took way longer than expected; it was only something like 4 months' worth when we decided to go for it. (I had a specific amount that I wanted to save before I felt OK with it, saved it, then since it hadn't been too painful to save that much, just kept going.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
Princess, I am a complete fan of yours. So glad you are here on a2k. Damn, we should talk for hours some time.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:14 am
sozobe wrote:
As a general observation, JP, I think your questions are great ones and show, themselves, that you're ready.

One thing, it varies from person to person of course but don't assume that as soon as you start trying it'll happen (we did.) The "saving half my salary for a year" thing happened in part 'cause it took way longer than expected; it was only something like 4 months' worth when we decided to go for it. (I had a specific amount that I wanted to save before I felt OK with it, saved it, then since it hadn't been too painful to save that much, just kept going.)

I'm actually getting pretty excited! We need to do some preparation before we start trying, plus my insurance from my new job hasn't kicked in yet so it won't happen right away. I see nothing wrong with getting in a little practice though Laughing

Thanks for all the info you guys have shared with me. It really gave me some things to think about and helped me iron out some other things I have been thinking about. If you don't mind I'll stop in from time to time with any more questions I can think of. Untill then I think I'll go check out the other threads in this forum... there's some great stuff here.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
Aww, bless your heart, osso.

If anyone wants to contact me: use yahoo: I am [email protected]. JP, I have a book you should read on money philosophy, Your Money or Your Life, I think it's called... Led me to make conclusions about money which revolutionized my outlook on money...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140286780/qid=1097155150/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-8791216-4948653?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:44 am

Yup, Dominguez and Robin wrote it. Full of philosophical perspective on money, they say, "Money is an object of contemplation like a koan. What is the sound of one hand clapping? What is the reality of money?" Then they take you through different perspectives: from street level, on up into the sky... It has helpful advice as well as philosophy, btw, stuff you may not have tried as well as stuff I'm sure you haven't thought about. Wink This is the wrong forum, for a philosophical discussion on money, but I'm game to go talk about it further, either here, or in finance... I'd kinda rather keep it in this thread, but am not sure how these things work when the subject gets off topic and there is another forum set up for that topic... Confused I remember reading the book and they explain how money is not power, that if you were dropped in a bad neighborhood and had a briefcase full of money strapped to your arm, you wouldn't feel safer or powerful walking out with all the money you could carry, you would be scared... Money isn't what you think it is, kwim?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
I don't think anybody else has stopped in this thread for awhile and I started it and don't mind... so by all means hijack away.
0 Replies