What kind and how many animals do you presently have?

Vietnamnurse

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:43 am
Hi msolga! Who was the gal on Abuzz that had the cat that bit her all the time? Her name started with an "R", I think. Is she here on Able? I wonder if she still has that naughty cat! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:11 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
Hi msolga! Who was the gal on Abuzz that had the cat that bit her all the time? Her name started with an "R", I think. Is she here on Able? I wonder if she still has that naughty cat! Laughing

That was our Roberta, Vietnamnurse! (A good friend, actually!) Yes, she's still playing cat & mouse with Mikey, the monster cat. And still has some very amusing stories to tell. I'll tell her you enquired about her! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
Please do tell her "Hello" from me! I am currently medicating one of my cats and it is total war! He will take an injection like it was nothing, but go near him with liquid or a piller and he rips me to shreds! He is 14 yrs. old on top of it!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
I have something to add here finally!

My boxer baby Zoe!!!

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/391/cutie5nu.jpg
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
Wow, what a cute Boxer! Congrats!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:53 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
Please do tell her "Hello" from me! I am currently medicating one of my cats and it is total war! He will take an injection like it was nothing, but go near him with liquid or a piller and he rips me to shreds! He is 14 yrs. old on top of it!

Will do! The next time I email Roberta I'll tell her you said hello & that you remember her Mikey stories, Vietnamnurse. Who could ever forget A Mikey story once they've heard one! Very Happy

Good luck with your 14 year old pussycat!
(Um, what's a piller? )
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:05 am
A piller is a like a syringe...you put the pill in the narrow necked barrel and open the cats mouth carefully and thrust the plunger VERY quickly before you get clawed or bitten! If you do it right, the pill goes down the esophagus before the cats knows it. I usually follow with a squirt of tuna juice!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:12 pm
I have two cats. One is 9, the other 2. They were both rescues from bad situations (one on 'death-row', the other passed from house to house and 'nobody wants er'). They are complete sweeties. People can be jerks, but animals don't judge. They've rebounded well and are very affectionate.

No other pets right now cause I live in an apartment. I'm pushing my luck by having these two!

Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:12 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
A piller is a like a syringe...you put the pill in the narrow necked barrel and open the cats mouth carefully and thrust the plunger VERY quickly before you get clawed or bitten! If you do it right, the pill goes down the esophagus before the cats knows it. I usually follow with a squirt of tuna juice!

Oh, that's what it is! I have one of those, too, Vietnamnurse! But I have been known to put Vegemite on the pills to make them more palatable & go down more easily! (If you don't know what Vegemite is, it's a sort of salty, savoury Australian spread for toast, or bread. We Australians are addicted to it, but everyone else on the planet whose tried it seems to think it resembles axel grease in taste & texture! Razz )
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
okay I have:

5 dogs:
2 Chichuahuas (petal and Tia Maria who's 16)
1 epileptic rescued dalmation (dollar) from the Animal anti cruelty league who is the dumbest dog in the world but very pretty with one blue eye and one brown eye.
1 large OCD cross german sheprd ridge back type thing (not sure got him from a private animal shelter when he was a puppy) we thought he was going to die when he was young cos he looked so bad: mange, starved, running a fever worms, and the vet made me so worried that i refused to get too attached for the first three months in case he died but he didn't and now he's 68cm at the shoulder and bully of the back yard and local park. his name is lex luther or just lexi.
1 little ugly dog called pepe who looks like a cross sausage pug piglet thing, who i found under bush and was skinny and skittish, had been kicked in the face; had to remove some of his teeth and had bite marks all over him. Now pepe thinks he's the prince of the household sleeping on couches beds etc.

2 cats, one rescued from being drowned as she was the ugliest kitten in the ltiter her name is budgie cos she ate our budgies as kitten. The other cat Sarsaparilla or Sassy is from the animal anti cruelty league, she was the smallest kitten and now the largest cat you've ever seen.

Then two fish ponds with numerous goldfish and Koi. and that's about it.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
Tagged...that is one crazy menagerie you have! Do the dogs leave the cats alone?
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
yeah the dogs know my mom and I are boss so they leave the cats alone otherwise they got us to answer too. Pepe used to wanna kill the cats but now he allows Sassy to rub up against him.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:28 pm
Tagged...you should see my Irish Wolfhound puppy...nine months old now and huge already and my 14 yr old Balinese cat. The cat refuses to run and walks up to her and yowls! The pup is so perplexed. She knows he wants to chase it, but it must be fierce if it walks up to her like that....who knows what is going on in her brain! The Border Terrier knows not to mess with Tequila, the cat. Tequila put him on notice that HE was Alpha and that was that! Animals are so funny, don't you think?
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:20 am
Irish wolf hounds are awesome always wanted one but thought that it would be unfair on the property we have also thigns like food bills and the landmines they leave, but think they are the coolest of the giant breeds, very regal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
Right this minute, no critters. But how long can I hold out? This is positively unnatural & weird! Confused
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:08 pm
We have 11 fenced acres...dog heaven! But my cats stay inside...I have lost too many to roads or roaming animals. We have a big fox population that likes cats. Interesting...a large fox was in my front yard looking at the Border Terriers (small), it ran when it saw my old Irish Wolfhound Annie coming around the corner! They didn't come back to the front of my house after that,but stayed down by the creek well away from the house. We had a Wolfhound in Chicago, believe it or not. I walked her 3 or 4 times a day no matter what the weather was. They can live in small quarters. And they do not eat a prodigeous amount. My rescued track greyhound eats more! And he is a couch potato!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:11 pm
Update from whenever I last posted in this thread (last year sometime, probably): two cats now!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:35 pm
Vietnamnurse wrote:
We have 11 fenced acres...dog heaven! But my cats stay inside...I have lost too many to roads or roaming animals. We have a big fox population that likes cats. Interesting...a large fox was in my front yard looking at the Border Terriers (small), it ran when it saw my old Irish Wolfhound Annie coming around the corner! They didn't come back to the front of my house after that,but stayed down by the creek well away from the house. We had a Wolfhound in Chicago, believe it or not. I walked her 3 or 4 times a day no matter what the weather was. They can live in small quarters. And they do not eat a prodigeous amount. My rescued track greyhound eats more! And he is a couch potato!

Surprised This sound like the frontier life to this city slicker, VN! :wink:
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:40 pm
Do you live in the city, msolga? We bought this place 9 yrs ago after being mostly city people for some time. We love it, but miss the frequent goings to theater and restaurants in DC or Chicago. What we have gained in our little paradise is so worth it. Fruit trees in a small orchard, a huge vegetable garden and raspberries and strawberries that have taken over my life. The animals love this place as much as we do....we walk the fields with the dogs daily and it is pure joy to see them romp. I love to watch birds and I plant things to attract them. My latest idea is to plant Eastern Cedar to attract Cedar Waxwings, a most lovely bird. They are attracted to the juniper berries on the tree, which is what the tree really is...a juniper!

Every once in a while, as we age, we think of getting something smaller and easier....but we look at what we enjoy and we change our minds....the animals have a lot to do with it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
Ah, it certainly does sound like a paradise, VN! Lucky you! Very Happy

Yep, I'm a city girl. I grew up in the country & that explains why. :wink: But some things you retain, no matter where you live. And a love of animals & is one of those things. There has generally been a cat (or up to 4) anywhere I live.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about my home city, Melbourne:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne,_Australia
0 Replies