Some questions about Rome.

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:54 am
Firs of all great forum, now:

I have studied the roman empire, but still kind of confused about papacy. What role did this really (growth wise) was played by Gregory I and St. Benedict?

I dont really understand the late and medievil instiution and practices. I mean what was the point of there existents. And how did they really stimulate trade and manufacturing in the 13th century?

Thanks guys!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 665 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:52 am
Welcome to A2K, ogeorgeko!

Here in Europe, historians and history departments generally speak of the Roman Empire (additionally East) and of the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation).

You are referring to the last, I suppose?
What are you meaning exactly by "the late and medievil instiution and practices"?

I would connect Benedict more to monasticism than to papacy - where do see your point(s)?
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Welcome to A2K, ogeorgeko!

Here in Europe, historians and history departments generally speak of the Roman Empire (additionally East) and of the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation).

You are referring to the last, I suppose?
What are you meaning exactly by "the late and medievil instiution and practices"?

I would connect Benedict more to monasticism than to papacy - where do see your point(s)?

I was told this by my History professor and yes that is what kind of threw me off. Lets' just take the issue of papacy, I was confused really what my professor told me about this. Can you help me out some?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:10 pm
I'm sorry, I can't help. I'm just interested. Thanks for starting the thread.
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
kickycan wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't help. I'm just interested. Thanks for starting the thread.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
Some websites might give help (I hope, you realise that there were both ecclesiastical and secular sovereignties.)

Church History: The Papacy and Monasticism

THE PAPACY: Its History, Dogmas, Genius, and Prospects

Medieval Sourcebook: The Roman Church

And more easy reading:
An Overview of the History of the Papacy

Quote:
Papcy, the office and jurisdiction of the bishop of Rome, or the pope (Latin: papa, from the Greek pappas, "father"), who presides over the central government of the Roman Catholic church, the largest of the three major branches of Christianity. The term pope was originally applied to all the bishops in the West and also used to describe the patriarch of Alexandria, who still retains the title. In 1073, however, Gregory VII restricted its use to the bishop of Rome. According to the Annuario Pontificio, the papal annual, there have been more than 260 popes since St. Peter, traditionally considered the first pope. Among these, 78 have been proclaimed saints, as have some antipopes (rival claimants to the papal throne who were appointed or elected in opposition to the legitimate pope). Most holders of the office have been either Roman or Italian, with a sprinkling of other Europeans, including one Pole. All have been male, although in the 13th century the legend of Pope Joan appeared. During the course of the 2,000 years in which the papal system and the practice of electing popes in the conclave has evolved, the papacy has played a crucial role in both Western and world history. The history of the papacy can be divided into five major periods: the early papacy, from Peter through Pelagius II (until 590); the medieval papacy, from Gregory I through Boniface VIII (590-1303); the Renaissance and Reformation papacy, from Benedict XI through Pius IV (1303-1565); the early modern papacy, from Pius V through Clement XIV (1566-1774); and finally the modern papacy, from Pius VI to John Paul II . ...

Above is from the Britannica, which you'll certainly find in your univerity's library besides a couple a more relevant books :wink:
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Some websites might give help (I hope, you realise that there were both ecclesiastical and secular sovereignties.)

Church History: The Papacy and Monasticism

THE PAPACY: Its History, Dogmas, Genius, and Prospects

Medieval Sourcebook: The Roman Church

And more easy reading:
An Overview of the History of the Papacy

Quote:
Papcy, the office and jurisdiction of the bishop of Rome, or the pope (Latin: papa, from the Greek pappas, "father"), who presides over the central government of the Roman Catholic church, the largest of the three major branches of Christianity. The term pope was originally applied to all the bishops in the West and also used to describe the patriarch of Alexandria, who still retains the title. In 1073, however, Gregory VII restricted its use to the bishop of Rome. According to the Annuario Pontificio, the papal annual, there have been more than 260 popes since St. Peter, traditionally considered the first pope. Among these, 78 have been proclaimed saints, as have some antipopes (rival claimants to the papal throne who were appointed or elected in opposition to the legitimate pope). Most holders of the office have been either Roman or Italian, with a sprinkling of other Europeans, including one Pole. All have been male, although in the 13th century the legend of Pope Joan appeared. During the course of the 2,000 years in which the papal system and the practice of electing popes in the conclave has evolved, the papacy has played a crucial role in both Western and world history. The history of the papacy can be divided into five major periods: the early papacy, from Peter through Pelagius II (until 590); the medieval papacy, from Gregory I through Boniface VIII (590-1303); the Renaissance and Reformation papacy, from Benedict XI through Pius IV (1303-1565); the early modern papacy, from Pius V through Clement XIV (1566-1774); and finally the modern papacy, from Pius VI to John Paul II . ...

Above is from the Britannica, which you'll certainly find in your univerity's library besides a couple a more relevant books :wink:

Thanks interesting websites indeed, I have gone over some of them. I just think its a rather confusing topic to even begin with. Anybody with some other suggestions please, throw it my way.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm
ogeorgeko wrote:
I just think its a rather confusing topic to even begin with.

Begin with what?
0 Replies

ogeorgeko

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:36 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
ogeorgeko wrote:
I just think its a rather confusing topic to even begin with.

Begin with what?

Well I really am not good with the whole Roman church concept, so this stuff is a little hard for me to grip with. Guess its another long night at Barnes and Nobles. Razz
0 Replies