DNC Ad Says Bush Lost Manufacturing Jobs

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:44 pm
here is my question : can any president (or other government leader) really create jobs and long-term growth ? seems to me it's the consumer(both within the country and foreign consumers) who creates demands for goods and services . government policies can encourage certain trends, but consumers are not always willing to go in the direction that governments want them to go. i think similarly, corporations often have great difficulties in anticipating consumer demands and tastes and provide what the customer is looking for. "the customers are often very fickle ! ". looking at the north-american car industry, it is a good example how difficult it is to satisfy the tastes of different customers : some want larger cars even when the gas prices are rising, others want fuel-efficient cars and still others look for 'green' cars ... and pretty well all customers think that the prices are way too high. similarly when you look at the price of oil, most consumers are looking at plenty of fuel at a low price; very few customers are willing to cut back on consumption freely. the oil companies on the other hand are risk averse and not really in a mood to spent large sums of money to bring more production on line when they have no assurance that the costs can be recovered. one only has to look at the long-term growth of share prices in the petroleum industry. there have been long periods when shares in oil companies performed dismally and one might have made a better profit investing in bonds or similar instruments. ... so coming back to the beginning : to we really think it's the government that can ensure a growing economy and growing employment ? (i thought so in my younger years, but now think that governments are 'paper tigers' when it comes to steering the ' economic ship of state ' - i think it's luck more than anything else). hbg
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 05:11 pm
Re: DNC Ad Says Bush Lost Manufacturing Jobs
JustWonders wrote:
The ad also says "Bush protects tax breaks favoring corporations that move their headquarters overseas" and that Kerry would "end job-killing tax loopholes." But as we've said before , "offshoring" accounts for just a small fraction of jobs that are lost, and even Democratic economists say changing the taxcode won't end the overseas job drain anyway.

Source

Maybe you might want to check out today's edition of the Boston Globe on taxes and coorporations before you say things you'll regret later.

Back-room dealing a Capitol trend
GOP flexing its majority power

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Graphic/2004/10/03/1096807824_4900.gif
0 Replies