Your mattress and your back pain...

PamO

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
actually it's our 4 year old $1200 mattress and my husbands back pain every morning...

would hate to replace a mattress so soon, esp. one that i paid 1200 bucks for...but he wakes up every day complaining about the awful nights sleep and how badly his back aches.

he slept in our daughter's firm queen size last night and said his back was much better.

i looked online today at the Select Comfort "Sleep Number Bed"...i've heard about them via radio...

any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,422 • Replies: 22
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:18 pm
I remember years ago, my mom had a similar problem. The new mattress was not firm enough and she woke every morning with a backache. Now, this may not work for everyone, but my dad put a thin sheet of plywood between the mattress and box springs and her back problems completely disappeared.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
you know, i had that idea last eve! it worked?

now, i thought 1200. was an expensive mattress...and i bought it when i was poor and single...online they are twice that much!

i will tell mr.pamo about your mom...thanks colorbook!

any other good ideas?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
You're welcome PamO. If there is a way...always try the least expensive way first.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
i accidentally solved my chronic back pain by making a small adjustment in the way i sleep.
i always sleep on my side, so one night i decided to lift my head away from my chest.
lo and behold, the next morning: no back pain...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:41 pm
you can get something called a 'mattress overlay'
they are quite expensive but they are for this kind of thing.....they are made of foam and relieve pressure on the back and spine.....

search google for 'spinal products bed'

but first id go with the piece of wood idea, i tried that b4 and it does make the mattress a hell of a lot firmer.......
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:42 pm
you can get special pillows to made of the same stuff.......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:09 pm
our friends have some of those sleep number mattresses at their summer place in Bethany Del. We were there and, I dont like it. There is this "empty" air feeling that one gets, sort of like a cheap blow up air mattresses we used to use for tenting. The little air baffles can be felt and its annoying. So, both my wife and I didnt like the sleep number bed. We have these firmer composite mattresses with somekind of really nice top material. Its almost like a layer of feathers. I dont think it cost 1200 bucks cause we just had them delivered from Dial-a-mattress 9honest to god , there is such a place . I cannot see going shopping for a mattress, its like shopping for a large appliance)
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:19 pm
you guys are great...

i will try the plywood first...an then Col man's idea.

Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:26 pm
Plywood - my Dad has had back pain for years and the plywood board thing definitely helps him.
0 Replies

revo39564

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:00 pm
Pain in the a$$ mattress....well more like pain in the back
My wife and I suffered from back pain for 2 years after sleeping on my wife's cheapo ( 300$) firm queen mattress. We bought a Sealy Plush Eurotop mattress, king size 4 months ago for 1300. We have zero back pain now...

The mattress itself is a soft one, but the Eurotop is about 2 inches thick of firm body molding foam. I have never slept on a better mattress. Also, I am tall and heavyset so the extra room of a king size gives me more room to stretch out and get comfortable.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:04 pm
Re: Pain in the a$$ mattress....well more like pain in the b
yup its this 'body moulding foam' thats the real winner it seems with back pain....

when i can afford an overlay or indeed a full 'foam' mattress i definately intend to get one....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:36 pm
I purchased a new mattress for the Murphy Bed in my guest room when I moved here. There was only one that fit the mechanism, a Full, old fashioned mattress that was not as thick as what I think of as the new mattresses... in other words, it's max 8" thick. It was, I think, 89.00 at McMahon's, my idea of a drekko furniture store, but very handy.

I have had at least ten friends visit and say it was the best, most comfortable bed they'd slept in in a long time.

Given that people tend to be complimentary as guests, these accolades were quite extravagent.

How could that be? (I dunno, I haven't slept there myself.) But, the murphy bed has no box spring: instead it has all these steel coil thingies. And it is no one night stand, some of these guests have stayed over for a week...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:40 pm
I posted pictures of that murphy bed on an older a2k thread, but they aren't there anymore, since I subtracted them from the site I transferred them from to here. Would transfer them back if anyone is interested. In any case, it isn't one of the new murphy beds, but one built in to the house in the early 1920's.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:45 pm
osso, is a murphy bed one of those things ive seen on tv where it goes up into the wall?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:10 pm
Well, in this case the steel spring frame is attached to a pivoting door via a lot of brass... and the door pivots the attached mattress set up around into a fairly large closet. It's pretty nifty looking. The steel and brass frame thing has legs that snap down, and brass end frame that keeps the mattress in place. Not much like you see in current stuff on line, but the same concept.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:12 pm
far out Smile
thx..sounds cool...
ive never seen them in real life..only on tv Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:44 pm
Oh cool, a mattress thread. I've been thinking about buying a new mattress or putting some type of padding thingy on top and it's nice to see what other people think :-D
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:41 am
Hmmm - can one buy the body moulding foam and add it to the mattress?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:42 am
yes, as a mattress overlay....
0 Replies