Vioxx

Seed

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 02:08 am
So whats up with vioxx? I work at Merck, the company that packages and distributes the tablet, but what happened to cause the pull? I work for the company through a temp angency so I didnt really get all the details and work nights so i missed the news... anyone want to let me in on the secret? I know heart attacks ahve something todo with it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 998 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 02:28 am
As I understand it, clinical trials show it doubles risk of cardiovascular disease.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 02:34 am
More:

I listened to an ABC radio report today.

Here is what I recall.

A few years ago, clinical trials with an active placebo showed this effect.

The drug company squawked that the placebo might be protective against heart disease - so trials were repeated with an inactive placebo. Same result.

The scary thing is that the doctor in charge of arthritis at the Royal Adelaide Hospital commented on radio at least two years ago that he no longer prescribed the drug.

This led many patients to contact their GPs with questions - the GPs in turn questioned their medication authority - and were told there was no problem with the drug.

Meanwhile, net-savvy patients were able to access the info that the drug was dangerous.

Now it is withdrawn.

What effect do we think the drug companies had in this scenario?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 02:38 am
ABC news report:

Merck plunged more than 27 per cent after the recall. (ABC)

US company recalls arthritis drug
US pharmaceutical giant Merck says it is withdrawing its arthritis and pain medication known as Vioxx from distribution around the world, after a study revealed an increased risk for strokes and heart attacks.

Almost a year after Australia's Adverse Drug Reaction Advisory Committee warned in its newsletter that Vioxx had been linked to heart attack, Merck said that data from the new clinical trial had confirmed the increased risk.

Vioxx has been marketed in more than 80 countries including Australia and produced sales of $3.5 billion in 2003 for the company.

Chairman of Merck, Raymond Gilmartin, says the company has informed the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and regulatory authorities in other countries of its decision.

"We believe it would have been possible to continue to market Vioxx with labelling that would incorporate this new data," he said.

"However, given the availability of alternative therapies and the questions raised by the date, we concluded that a voluntary withdrawal is the responsible course to take."

About two million people worldwide are currently taking Vioxx.

The increased risk of heart attack and stroke occurs about 18 months after patient's start taking the drug.

Thirty-billion dollars was wiped off the company's share market value when the withdrawal was announced and its stock price fell by 26 per cent.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:21 am
and i work for these guys Smile not that its bad... but i sure dont feel like lossing a job
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:29 am
Er - don't they make anything else????
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
yea they do but vioxx is high in quanity know what i mean
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:55 am
Not any more....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
Good luck with your job!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:16 am
Jobs at Merck could suffer as a result of this withdrawal from the market. This is one of their big selling products. There has already been some heavy cutbacks at Merck this year, and this can only add to their existing problem.

Even more scrutiny will go on Pfizer's Celebrex, the other drug of that class, now (although I believe there's a newer version of Celebrex available in US, but only as an injection is Australia).

Pfizer assures us that the same trend is not seen with CBX, but.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:58 am
Quote:
Painkiller linked to 140,000 heart attacks in patients
By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
25 January 2005

A blockbuster drug launched five years ago as a revolutionary treatment for arthritis may have caused up to 140,000 heart attacks in US patients of whom 44 per cent died, scientists said yesterday, making it the world's worst drug disaster.

Vioxx, a new type of painkiller launched in 1999, was one of the most heavily promoted drugs in history, with sales in 80 countries and a global market of 80 million patients.

More than 400,000 patients were taking it in Britain, where it could have caused up to 1,000 heart attacks and deaths.

Last September, the manufacturer, Merck & Co, withdrew the drug from the market after evidence emerged linking it with heart problems.

Now, a study of 1.4 million people in California shows that those taking Vioxx had a one-third higher chance of having a heart attack than those taking other painkillers.

David Graham, of the US Food and Drug Administration, and colleagues concluded: "An estimated 88,000 to 140,000 excess cases of serious coronary heart disease probably occurred in the USA over the market life of rofecoxib [Vioxx]. The US national estimate of the case-fatality rate was 44 per cent, which suggests that many of the excess cases attributable to rofecoxib use were fatal." The results, published online by The Lancet, will be seized on by critics of the pharmaceutical industry as evidence of the failure of the drug regulatory system to protect the public. Dr Graham had earlier estimated that Vioxx may have caused up to 27,000 heart attacks but the new study caused him to upgrade the estimate by five times.

Doctors on both sides of the Atlantic have warned of a public health emergency over other painkillers in the same class, known as Cox-2 inhibitors, which could also pose a risk.

A report in The New England Journal of Medicine last October said studies since 1999 had repeatedly indicated a danger with Vioxx. Drug regulators made Merck include a warning in the drug package but never ordered a definitive trial.

Professor David Webb, of the clinical pharmacology unit at the University of Edinburgh, says in The Lancet: "It falls to the manufacturers, under the careful review of the regulatory authorities, to provide evidence that this class of drugs is safe."

Asked if this was the worst drugs disaster in history, Professor Webb said: "Quite possibly because these drugs were very widely used."

The previous worst disaster involved the drug Tambocor (flecainide) prescribed to patients with irregular heartbeats. It was estimated to have killed 50,000 patients in the Seventies and Eighties.

The European Drug Safety Agency is conducting an urgent safety review of all the Cox-2 inhibitors, which have a combined global sale of $10bn (£6bn). Last month, the UK Medicines and Health Care Products Regulatory Agency advised all patients still taking Vioxx, estimated at 750,000, to review their treatment with their doctor.
Source
0 Replies