Indian curry leafs could control diabetes.

Badboy

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:23 am
Researchers believe that Indian curry leafs contain agent that slow down the rate of starch to glucose breakdown in people with diabetes.

WARNING;PEOPLE SHOULDN'T TAKE THESE PLANT EXTRACTS UNTIL FURTHER RESEARCH IS DONE TO CHECK THIS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:27 am
Re: Indian curry leafs could control diabetes.
Badboy wrote:
Researchers believe that Indian curry leafs contain agent that slow down the rate of starch to glucose breakdown in people with diabetes.

WARNING;PEOPLE SHOULDN'T TAKE THESE PLANT EXTRACTS UNTIL FURTHER RESEARCH IS DONE TO CHECK THIS.

Do you have any kind of link to a study?
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:31 am
tHIS WAS IN THE gUARDIAN.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:03 am
I heard about this, and I think dlowan started a thread regarding the growing acceptance of herbal remedies in the medical community. I'm diabetic, but I'm not sure I would take a concentrated supplement without a guarentee attached. However, that won't stop me from cooking good Indian food with fresh curry leaves thrown in.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:09 am
They did suggest that diabetes should contuine eating curry,if they all ready do.

See a doctor if you take medication of any kind to check if its all right.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:06 pm
Indian curry contains a spice "turmeric", which in turn contains a dye called curcumin. Curcumin is related to beta-carotene (vitamin A) and has been found to have similar advantages. Studies have shown that combinations of Vitamins C, E, and A can slow or stop growth of some tumors, presumably through a free radical scavenging mechanism.
One of my chem professors in undergrad was from India--when he was growing up his mother used to give them turmeric + warm milk to help fight colds.

One of the greatest things about the cited diabetes study and the other research is that since curry has been used for years, there are fewer concerns re: unknown side effects, interactions, etc.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:15 pm
Just to pipe in, 'curry powder' is not really an Indian invention. The benefits of turmeric are very intriguing. 'Curry leaves' are completely unrelated to 'curry powder'.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:17 pm
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Murr_koe.html
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:15 pm
what a cool link Very Happy
id never heard of a curry tree b4 Smile
0 Replies