Your newspaper fold

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 01:01 pm
Letter to the Editor

After some 19 years getting the Daily Press I had never liked the way the news pages were folded, that is with rear folded back above front because it didn’t make a neat pile with the rest of the paper, all folded square at 11 in.. But why, I wondered, and besides it cut off the last couple of lines in the occasional story that was apparently intended to appear entirely above middle half.

So I’d refold it to 11 x 11. But then a few weeks ago its fold was suddenly reversed , with fold below middle, apparently to expose the entire top story. Well great, I supposed, possibly also because it looks better. So I don’t even need to write that Opinion Letter! And it’s even easier to refold than the original.

But now a bottom heading gets cut off. So I wondered why not fold exactly in half, what an obvious solution; guess a new Letter is needed... "Yet maybe they didn’t do it that way,” I mused, "because their present folding machinery won't let ‘em."

(The same reason, I guessed, that some headings are still attached at the bottom of a blurb, with gap below, making the title look misplaced Still, others on another page are headed correctly. Guys didn’t you make that software repair to every page? So I resolved a letter to that effect--but put off outa sheer inertia….)

Thus I never got to compose either Letter; shameful laziness. Ah but finally you’ve apparently invested in some new folding gear, first evident today Sunday Oct. 9, folded exactly in half, wow! “Thanks!” I reacted. "But tomorrow?"

Alas, it was a random fold so today again Monday I have to refold in the middle. Compulsive? Sure, but it’s kinda fun.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 697 • Replies: 5
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 01:35 pm
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 01:36 pm
Response from the Editor:

Dear Dale Hileman,
Due to your unhappiness with our newspaper, we have decided to forbid you from ever again having access to our daily revelations of exciting, not-so exciting and downright less than riveting happenings of the community, nation, planet and universe. Additionally, you shall no longer be able to view our advertisements, supplements or anything else. If you, at some time in the future, choose to accept our random ways of folding our tabloid, we will be more than happy to welcome you back into, how shall we out it?...our fold.

A blessed a reflective Yom Kippur to you and yours
Most sincerely,

The Editor
contrex

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 02:15 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_the_fold
dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 05:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Stur you've made my entire week or what's left of it
0 Replies

dalehileman