Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
This one's for my best friend, and me, too, sort of... She gets the generic cans of salmon from the USDA. 14.75 oz cans w/bones in, and brought one over puzzled what to do with it... what would you do with them? Salmon cakes? She's less of a cook than I am, and thought my cat might like to eat them, but they are salmon and designed for human consumption! I won't feed them to my cat if I can make food human people might enjoy! We want to make a meal! We also need to know what wine you would recommend to go with canned salmon. Surprised
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,017 • Replies: 27
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Hmm...try this: Saute some sliced onions and garlic until soft, add some diced tomatoes and let them soften, stir in the canned salmon, and a bit of curry powder, heat through, deglaze with a little white wine, add cream and just bring to a boil to reduce a bit, finish with chopped fresh coriander.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Serve it with whatever wine you cooked with.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:48 am
When you say "cakes" are you thinking perhaps of patties? Probably the same thing. Chop up a little onion and crush some saltines, mix with the salmon along with one egg and salt and pepper. Form patties and fry until golden. Serve with seasoned mayo or tarter sauce.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:06 pm
Salmon croquettes. I'm sure Emeril has a recipe on his website but I take 2 cans of salmon, 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 onion chopped, salt and pepper to taste, mix together, heat oil in a skillet, make little patties and fry them up. Great with rice, grits, hash browns...here in the south we eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:07 pm
oops. cjhsa has the same recipe. kinda.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
I live in Oregon so I cook a lot of salmon - usually fresh but most recipies will work with either.

I like to make a sauce using butter, flour, milk, wine, dijon mustard and spices - toss in the salmon - toss over pasta. Yum!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:54 pm
There's a restaurant here that makes salmon tortellinis and serves them in a lemony cream sauce with asparagus that is truly delicious.

I guess you would have to make your own tortelinis though - maybe you could use a little shell pasta or something easy to stuff.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:59 pm
OK I think it's pre-cooked - if it's the salmon I'm thinking of.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:25 pm
husker wrote:

All canned fish is pre-cooked, but brands do vary in quality. The best canned tuna and salmon I have had are from Rio Mare, an Italian company, and they are packed in olive oil.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:22 pm
Also, the best salmon of all is Sockeye. Look for it in cans and expect to pay dearly for it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
cavfancier wrote:
husker wrote:

All canned fish is pre-cooked, but brands do vary in quality. The best canned tuna and salmon I have had are from Rio Mare, an Italian company, and they are packed in olive oil.

Are you 100% sure? I have a jar from a cannery in Alaska that looks pretty raw :wink: maybe I'll think about a picture if I remember.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
husker, if you have a picture, post it. Is it possible that it's marinated? Jarred fish can be marinated, but that isn't the same as raw. I am intrigued...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Also, the best salmon of all is Sockeye. Look for it in cans and expect to pay dearly for it.

I always look forward to Sockeye season, to buy it fresh, and yes, every year the price goes up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:49 pm
Very rarely do we see fresh Sockeye here in California. If we see it at all, it will have been shipped frozen and thawed for display.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
You should move to Canada, cjhsa. At the best fish shops, we get a wide variety of wild salmon fresh, in season, including sockeye, pink and red spring.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
Or Seattle...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Or Seattle...

Your money would go further in Canada, heh heh.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
I think the very best salmon is Copper River Salmon which is only available fresh for a few weeks each year and only in a limited area.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 04:38 pm
You're possibly right about that, but Copper River salmon isn't generally available. Like you said, only in a limited area. It's not something you really want to advertise, if you get my drift.
0 Replies