Observers Foresee Snags in U.S. Election

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:23 am
The Unites States joins Belarus and the Ukraine in having her elections monitored by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, OSCE.
The preliminary report of the group of election monitors indicates it expects trouble on Nov.2:

Quote:
Observers Foresee Snags in U.S. Election
Wednesday September 29, 2004 5:31 AM

By ERICA WERNER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Problems loom for the presidential election including voting equipment changes that could delay the outcome past Nov. 2, a group of international observers said Tuesday in a report.

A five-member team from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, a 55-state security group invited by the Bush administration, also pointed to problems with voter registration lists and provisional and absentee ballots, allegations of voter intimidation and slow implementation of the Help America Vote Act.

``In general, the nationwide replacement of voting equipment, inspired by the disputes witnessed during the 2000 elections, primarily in Florida, may potentially become a source of even greater controversy during the forthcoming elections,'' said the 11-page report.

Many of the new touch-screen machines that will be used by up to 50 million voters on Nov. 2 do not produce the paper ballots needed for a manual recount of votes, the report said.

This ``may cause postelection disputes and litigation, potentially delaying the announcement of final results,'' it said.

The OSCE observers were in the United States from Sept. 7-10. A larger group will return for the election and focus on the potential problems noted in Tuesday's report. Among them:

-Slow implementation of the Help America Vote Act of 2002, which authorized $3.86 billion to replace outdated machines and reform election procedures.

-Poorly maintained voter registration lists and a hodgepodge of procedures for handling absentee and provisional balisenfranchisement and postelection litigation. Provisional ballots are a new feature, meant to allow anyone who shows up at the polls to vote even if their name isn't on precinct lists.

-The report criticized steps by states to allow military and overseas voters to fax rather than mail their completed ballots, calling them inconsistent ``with the principle of the secrecy of the vote.''

-The observers said the scale of complaints about intimidation of minority voters was difficult to assess but that ``such allegations were repeated by Democratic Party representatives, while the Republican Party officials did not seem to share these concerns.''
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 709 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:49 am
-The observers said the scale of complaints about intimidation of minority voters was difficult to assess but that ``such allegations were repeated by Democratic Party representatives, while the Republican Party officials did not seem to share these concerns.''

Ain't that the truth!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:52 am
Naturally the Republicans interpret their own wrong doing differently.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:04 am
What I think is interesting is that whenever an article is posted about problems with our upcoming election -- and this is the third one that I personally know of -- the right-leaning folks immediately jump on the racial disparities problems and completely ignore all of the others. It's as if to say there are no problems with the election because there is no disenfranchisement of minorities. This article, like others, points out several concerns about the integrity of our upcoming election. This is of the utmost importance to the future of our democratic society.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:08 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What I think is interesting is that whenever an article is posted about problems with our upcoming election -- and this is the third one that I personally know of -- the right-leaning folks immediately jump on the racial disparities problems and completely ignore all of the others. quote]

Haven't seen anyone do that here yet though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:09 am
I noticed your reply was only about one very narrow part of the problem...
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:17 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I noticed your reply was only about one very narrow part of the problem...

Just noting my agreement with that particular observation which I think puts the perception of the problem in perspective.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:18 am
Larry434 wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
What I think is interesting is that whenever an article is posted about problems with our upcoming election -- and this is the third one that I personally know of -- the right-leaning folks immediately jump on the racial disparities problems and completely ignore all of the others. quote]

Haven't seen anyone do that here yet though.

Actually, I didn't post this because of the problems of the upcoming election but because of the OSCE report.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:24 am
The furor was caused by the Democratic parties attempt to illegally re-count only certain districts in Florida. Their continual whining has raised the spector of inpropriety.

I suspect, the Democratic Party has already retained counsel to dispute any district in any state that does not vote democratic.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:32 am
Like I said....

Walter, I think the OSCE report details problems with the upcoming election. I think it's important to take them seriously. This should not really be a partisan issue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:41 am
Yes, I agree - e.g. I've never heard that voting was done by faxes ... in a democratic country.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Like I said....

Walter, I think the OSCE report details problems with the upcoming election. I think it's important to take them seriously. This should not really be a partisan issue.

I agree. No one wants a repeat of the necessity of a legal challenge to determine the outcome of the election.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:46 am
Exactly! I don't want to see anymore presidential limos with eggs on them come inauguration time.
0 Replies