At a loss for words... and contraception

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:00 pm
Today I was informed that my migranes with light effects are a result of my birth control. I was also informed that this puts me at a greatly increased risk for stroke, and as such, I must (in 1-3 months) end my birth control and NEVER TAKE ANY BIRTH CONTROL AGAIN.

Let me say that I have been a loyal prescriber to hormonal contraceptives for six years now, and the going won't be easy. I love planned parenting and that I have the option to have a family when I choose, and I love having sex without having to worry about getting pregnant (yes, I get all my partners tested first so I don't have to worry about STD's.)

So, I am so sad to have to revert medically to pre 1960's. I loved birth control - especially the nuva ring which I only had to worry about once a month.

So, I ask you, gentle readers, what now?

What are your experiences with -gasp- all -non-hormonal- birth control methods/contraceptives? I am in a steady relationship and want to hear it all. Vasectomies, sponges, cervical caps, condoms, you name it I want to hear the options.

Thanks everyone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:04 pm
Bummer, I was thinking maybe going ON birth control would help with my headaches.....

I don't know what to tell you Portal.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
Hi, I don't have an answer to your question, but I used to get really, really, bad headaches on the pill before too. I went to my doctor and he said it was because I wasn't getting enough of the hormone needed. He suggested I switch birth control for a higher dose, so I then chose to go on the patch. So far I havn't had any problems with it, maybe you might want to get a second opinion?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
littlek wrote:
Bummer, I was thinking maybe going ON birth control would help with my headaches.....

I don't know what to tell you Portal.

Apparently it's only dangerous if you get the kind of migranes preceded by vision loss (halos, blank spots) which can be caused by the hormones in the contraceptives. I reccomend birth control, especially the nuva ring (not so much depo). The nuva ring even helped with sexual enhancement and it made my boobs bigger. "sob."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
Ay-yi-yi.

One thing -- I know you know this, but still -- DON'T use the rhythm method! They found out pretty recently that in addition to obvious drawbacks, women sometimes (like not even that rare) ovulate more than once per cycle. Shocked

Will think more.

IUD? :-?

Good luck!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:18 pm
Portal - I may just opt for getting a tube-job. I don't particularly want to have kids anyway. I used to (a decade or more ago) get baaaad migraines with vision blots and halos. They always started with that 'feeling'. I have recently been having that 'feeling' again, but haven't as of yet gotten a full-blown migraine. So, for now, I am going to stay off the hormones.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
Probably a good idea, littlek. Unfortunately, tube tying isn't an option for me b/c I still want kids. My partner has been considering the male equivalent, but I'm worried about reversabiity.

I think the IUD has hormones too. And it looks really creepy. And I wouldn't use rhythm method - I'd be worried all the time AND sperm can live in the human body for up to seven days.

What about other stuff, like sponges, dams, etc? Anybody try anything weird/new?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
I don't think IUD's do have any hormones - there can be side effects like heavy bleeding/painful periods, though some people are very happy with it.
0 Replies

laidbakguy

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:23 pm
contraceptives
this is in reply to Portal Star.You say you're looking for an alternative contraceptive. I have the answer for you. Few people know this, but sailors in the US Navy used these when they went on liberty. My brother-in-law was in the navy & he told me about it. Norforms, meant to be used vaginally to keep down odor, etc, is what you need to use. My wife & I used them for years & they really work. You insert a Norform into your vagina 10 minutes before intercoarse & you don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Posted by laidbakguy! GOOD LUCK!
0 Replies