Online language courses

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:13 pm
Looking for an online Spanish course and not getting very far. I've done a few years but want to keep going as I've left college and will need my Spanish next year. All the courses I find are for beginners or lazy British holidaymakers who just want to be able to order 'más sangria, por favor.'

Anyone recommend anything? Or at least give me an idea of where to start looking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
travelbug, if you google "learn spanish online", you get the following results
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:23 pm
If you're able you should consider spending a week or more at a Spanish language course in Guatemala. They are very good and amazingly inexpensive.

for example the typical Guatemalan school charges $200-250 per week* including a homestay with a local family and 2-3 meals per day.

Below is just one link but there are others if you are willing to do a little googling.

The link below also indicates that there is a $90. registration fee which I suppose is the same whether you go for one week or six (as my daughter's friend did recently)
http://www.spanishabroad.com/guatemala.htm

*does not include your airfare or in-country travel of course
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:58 am
Hmm, I plan to go to South America and will be doing a couple of weeks in a language and culture centre in Bolivia before starting volunteering. It's not really practical to do Guatemala as well, much as I'd love to! I just wanted something to keep me going before then, may stick to reading Spanish news and books.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
travelbug,

Check this out:

http://www.spanishabroad.com/spanish_online.htm

PS

Ojala' que todo le pase bien en Bolivia, y que tengas buen tiempo!

jjorge
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
Find Spanish discussion forums that suit your interests, register, and use them to practice your conversational Spanish and don't be afraid to ask for any explanations such as colloquial terms that you don't understand.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
when I get home I have a link
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:18 am
I take it he never got home? Very Happy
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
evidently not... hmm
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Foreign-Languages-and-Literatures/21F-701Fall2003/RelatedResources/index.htm
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm
Foreign Languages and Literatures Welcome to MIT's OpenCourseWare:

a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world. OCW supports MIT's mission to advance knowledge and education, and serve the world in the 21st century. It is true to MIT's values of excellence, innovation, and leadership.
0 Replies