Is the sentence clear?

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:46 pm
By yesterday afternoon, the preparing works for the festival from the steward groups -- communications and liaison, activity, propaganda, security, logistics and reception -- are all ready.

======================================
(1) A steward group (or I'd call it as "a working group") here means:

If the group is responsible for the work of communications of the festival, I call the group as "the communications steward group'. By analogy, If the group is responsible for the work of propaganda of the festival, I'd call it as "the propaganda steward group", etc.
Now there are 6 steward groups:
communications and liaison, activity, propaganda, security, logistics and reception.

So I express this as:

the steward groups -- communications and liaison, activity, propaganda, security, logistics and reception

Is it acceptable?

(2) These groups have to do preparing works for the festival, and now the works are all ready, so I wrote:

the preparing works for the festival from the steward groups -- communications and liaison, activity, propaganda, security, logistics and reception -- are all ready.

Does it work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 529 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:21 pm
Hi Oristar. We would just call them 'committees', I think:

"By yesterday afternoon, the preparations for the festival by the committees -- communications and liaison, activity, propaganda, security, logistics and reception -- were all ready."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:37 pm
Very cool, MM.

I am just unfamiliar with such usage of the committee. Because a committee can be very big that can govern a nation at large! For example: Central Committee of National Military Forces.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2004 12:46 am
Yes, our committees are a little smaller-- usually just groups of members of an organization, club, institution, or company charged with different responsibilities... though a Senate Investigating Committee can be rather imposing.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2004 01:25 am
Good. I've learned a new usage of the word committee.
0 Replies