BADLY injured LHC (land hermit crab)

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:55 pm
@Seizan,
I'm glad to hear that she survived the initial trauma.
Seizan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 09:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Most lhc in the States are in rather delicate and easily-broken shells. The shells commonly used by lhc here on Okinawa are rather thick and very hard. They don't get crushed easily even when a car runs over them. But the crab inside can lose all her legs and whatever body part is outside the shell as it gets crushed against the road when the car runs over it.

Now she comes out a bit when I change her food and water. I can see that she seems to have lost an eyestalk as well as all her legs but one, and both her claws. But at least she seem to be stabilized and by now (I hope) out of pain. She eats the food I prepare for her, drinks, and cleans daily.

I have to move her to change the food and water. I worry a bit about her molting time. I'm concerned that when she starts to molt, I might interrupt the molting process by moving her at the critical time. If I notice she is beginning to molt, I'll just put her in a relatively darker place in the terrarium and leave her alone until she starts moving around on her own again.

Until then, I keep feeding her and seeing that she isn't disturbed by too much light or movement.
0 Replies