THE LIE THAT IS LIBERAL

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 06:44 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
The King can't because it is a legislative act which means the legislature can deny anyone arms if they so desire.

I don't see any relevance, but I agree that your statement is factually correct.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 06:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
IF a narrow ban doesn't impact the purpose of the right then your argument falls apart.

We'll see. I think my position will continue to be unassailable.

parados wrote:
Arms do not just include guns but include all manner of other types of weapons. Guns are a narrow category of arms as a whole. If a narrow ban is allowed then banning guns is allowed since they don't include all arms.

The entire point of the right is to allow people to have the standard infantry weapon of the day.

A ban on said standard infantry weapons will violate that right.

parados wrote:
But once again, you ignore the fact that guns are not banned in England. One can own guns if one is licensed.

Would you like to make a case that this particular fact is worth paying attention to?

There are lots of facts that I am currently not paying attention to. For example, the height of the Eiffel Tower in centimeters has not been particularly relevant to this thread. Neither has the weight of Saturn under standard earth gravity (presuming scales large enough to weigh it) come up as a relevant fact.

If you want to list all the facts that I am not paying attention to, the list will literally be infinite.

parados wrote:
What part of the right was changed by the laws?

The entire right was repealed in 1920.

parados wrote:
We will see that you have to argue that guns are the only arm when it comes to the right. That is nonsense on your part.

When the right was created, the standard infantry weapon was a gun.

When the right was repealed in the UK, the standard infantry weapon was still a gun.

Today (as the right continues in the US) the standard infantry weapon remains a gun.

When the world moves on from firearms as the standard infantry weapon, then the right will move on from firearms and instead cover whatever the new technology is.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I continue to doubt that because of the court rulings.

What court rulings? You keep misrepresenting what those rulings say.

Quote:
It looks to me like their court rulings quickly applied the right to everyone regardless of religion.

Really? What court rulings applied it to everyone?

Quote:

If I am wrong about that and the right truly was restricted to Protestants,
IF you are wrong? ROFLMAO. You have been repeatedly told you are wrong including historical documents that show you are wrong. You seem incapable of admitting you are wrong even when everyone else knows you are.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:07 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't see any relevance, but I agree that your statement is factually correct.

No relevance to the fact that the parliament can ban guns? The fact that the parliament can pass legislation to ban guns would seem to be very relevant to any argument where one claims that the parliament banned guns.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:09 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The entire point of the right is to allow people to have the standard infantry weapon of the day.

Find one historical document that says this. You keep repeating it but have provided no support for it.

There is NOTHING in the EBR that states arms means standard infantry weapons. There is nothing in Blackstone that states that. There is nothing in Dewhurst that states that. It is YOUR made up argument. It is not a fact. It is assailable because you have provide ZERO historical support for it.

Your entire argument is based on something that doesn't exist and never existed.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:24 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
When the right was created, the standard infantry weapon was a gun.

When the right was created it said nothing about that arms means "standard infantry weapon." What the right DOES say is "as allowed by law" when it comes to arms.

What Blackstone comments on rights he says nothing about "standard infantry weapon" or about guns but talks about arms "as allowed by law."

When Dewhurst is convicted in the courts, the weapons are pikes. Shouldn't they all have had "standard infantry" guns if your argument is correct?

You keep repeating the same thing without any facts. When shown you have no facts, you simply claim you do have facts and no one has shown you to be wrong. You simply deny any argument that you disagree with and pretend it doesn't exist.

Quote:

Would you like to make a case that this particular fact is worth paying attention to?
If one can own a gun then guns are not banned. You don't get to argue that guns are banned then pretend that the fact that guns can be owned is not a fact worth paying attention to.

Quote:

The entire right was repealed in 1920.
No, it wasn't. The right is as follows:

Quote:
That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law.

Passing legislation reventing the ownership of guns unless they are licensed repeals no part of the right. Guns are not the only arms under that right. As allowed by law is still relevant to the right.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:46 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
What court rulings?

Rex v. Gardner (1739): "And they do not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence, but only from making that forbidden use of it. And the word 'gun' being purposely omitted in this act, the defendant is not within the penalty."

Mallock v. Eastley (1744): "the mere having a gun was no offense within the game laws, for a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family."

Wingfield v. Stratford (1752): "It is not to be imagined, that it was the Intention of the Legislature, in making the 5 Ann.c.14 to disarm all the People of England. As Greyhounds, Setting Dogs ... are expressly mentioned in that Statute, it is never necessary to alledge, that any of these have been used for killing or destroying the Game; and the rather, as they can scarcely be kept for any other Purpose than to kill or destroy the Game. But as Guns are not expressly mentioned in that Statute, and as a Gun may be kept for the Defence of a Man's House, and for divers other lawful Purposes, it was necessary to alledge, in order to its being comprehended within the Meaning of the Words 'any other Engines to kill the Game', that the Gun had been used for killing the Game."

Rex v. Dewhurst (1820): "A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is travelling or going for the ordinary purposes of business. But I have no difficulties in saying you have no right to carry arms to a public meeting, if the number of arms which are so carried are calculated to produce terror and alarm."

parados wrote:
You keep misrepresenting what those rulings say.

No misrepresentation. The words are very clear and unmistakable.

parados wrote:
Really?

Yes.

parados wrote:
What court rulings applied it to everyone?

Rex v. Gardner (1739): "And they do not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence, but only from making that forbidden use of it. And the word 'gun' being purposely omitted in this act, the defendant is not within the penalty."

Mallock v. Eastley (1744): "the mere having a gun was no offense within the game laws, for a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family."

Wingfield v. Stratford (1752): "It is not to be imagined, that it was the Intention of the Legislature, in making the 5 Ann.c.14 to disarm all the People of England. As Greyhounds, Setting Dogs ... are expressly mentioned in that Statute, it is never necessary to alledge, that any of these have been used for killing or destroying the Game; and the rather, as they can scarcely be kept for any other Purpose than to kill or destroy the Game. But as Guns are not expressly mentioned in that Statute, and as a Gun may be kept for the Defence of a Man's House, and for divers other lawful Purposes, it was necessary to alledge, in order to its being comprehended within the Meaning of the Words 'any other Engines to kill the Game', that the Gun had been used for killing the Game."

Rex v. Dewhurst (1820): "A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is travelling or going for the ordinary purposes of business. But I have no difficulties in saying you have no right to carry arms to a public meeting, if the number of arms which are so carried are calculated to produce terror and alarm."

parados wrote:
IF you are wrong? ROFLMAO.

Yes. If I am wrong about that, there were still a great number of Protestants in England who would have been able to exercise the right.

parados wrote:
You have been repeatedly told you are wrong including historical documents that show you are wrong.

I've not seen any convincing case made that those courts were not applying the right to all religions.

parados wrote:
You seem incapable of admitting you are wrong even when everyone else knows you are.

It is strange how everyone is unable to present a convincing case that those judges were not applying the right to all religions.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:48 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
No relevance to the fact that the parliament can ban guns? The fact that the parliament can pass legislation to ban guns would seem to be very relevant to any argument where one claims that the parliament banned guns.

If you say so. At any rate, I agree that your statement there was factually correct.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:50 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Find one historical document that says this.

I'm not aware of any. Often, blatantly apparent facts were not attested to in historical documents because it was assumed that everyone already understood them.

parados wrote:
You keep repeating it but have provided no support for it.

That is incorrect. I have repeatedly supported it with the context in which the right was created.

parados wrote:
There is NOTHING in the EBR that states arms means standard infantry weapons.

So?

parados wrote:
There is nothing in Blackstone that states that.

So?

parados wrote:
There is nothing in Dewhurst that states that.

So?

parados wrote:
It is YOUR made up argument.

That is incorrect. I did not create the history of England.

parados wrote:
It is not a fact.

That is incorrect. That the government of England required the general populace to have standard infantry weapons is very much a fact. That the right was created as a result of Protestants being denied the ability to have standard infantry weapons is very much a fact.

parados wrote:
It is assailable because you have provide ZERO historical support for it.

Pointing out history would count as providing historical support would it not?

parados wrote:
Your entire argument is based on something that doesn't exist and never existed.

The history of England is something that very much existed.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:05 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
What court rulings?

Says nothing about the gun being a standard infantry weapon. Nor does it state that all person should have a gun. Nor does it state that guns can't be banned by legislation. Goes directly to the point that guns were banned under game laws for many decades after the EBR which you claimed wasn't true.

Quote:

Says nothing about the gun being a standard infantry weapon. Nor does it state that all person should have a gun. Nor does it state that guns can't be banned by legislation.

Quote:
Says nothing about the gun being a standard infantry weapon. Nor does it state that all person should have a gun. Nor does it state that guns can't be banned by legislation. Goes directly to the point that guns were banned under game laws for many decades after the EBR.
Quote:

Says nothing about the gun being a standard infantry weapon. Nor does it state that all person should have a gun. Nor does it state that guns can't be banned by legislation.

Quote:
parados wrote:
You keep misrepresenting what those rulings say.

No misrepresentation. The words are very clear and unmistakable.

The words are very clear. They say nothing about the right to carry the standard infantry weapon of the day. You don't get to add things not in the ruling.

Quote:
parados wrote:
Really?

Yes.

Your ipse dixit is still without fact.

Quote:

parados wrote:
IF you are wrong? ROFLMAO.

Yes. If I am wrong about that, there were still a great number of Protestants in England who would have been able to exercise the right.
If we apply the ENTIRE section which allows arms as allowed by law, it shows how specious your argument is. You seem to keep forgetting that part of the EBR.

Quote:
parados wrote:
You have been repeatedly told you are wrong including historical documents that show you are wrong.

I've not seen any convincing case made that those courts were not applying the right to all religions.
Lack of seeing a fact doesn't mean the opposite is true

parados wrote:
You seem incapable of admitting you are wrong even when everyone else knows you are.

It is strange how everyone is unable to present a convincing case that those judges were not applying the right to all religions.
[/quote] You haven't presented a convincing case that the judge is applying the right to all religions.
You haven't presented a case that the judge applied the case to anyone other then the persons involved in the case which is what the judge is ruling on specifically.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
When the right was created it said nothing about that arms means "standard infantry weapon." What the right DOES say is "as allowed by law" when it comes to arms.

The fact remains, England had always required the general populace to have standard infantry weapons, and the right was created as backlash when Protestants had been denied the ability to own standard infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
What Blackstone comments on rights he says nothing about "standard infantry weapon" or about guns but talks about arms "as allowed by law."

The fact remains, England had always required the general populace to have standard infantry weapons, and the right was created as backlash when Protestants had been denied the ability to own standard infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
When Dewhurst is convicted in the courts, the weapons are pikes. Shouldn't they all have had "standard infantry" guns if your argument is correct?

Not necessarily. Was there any reason to prevent them from having pikes?

parados wrote:
You keep repeating the same thing without any facts.

It is a fact that England always required the general populace to have standard infantry weapons.

It is a fact that the right was created as a backlash after Protestants were denied the ability to possess standard infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
When shown you have no facts, you simply claim you do have facts and no one has shown you to be wrong.

No one is capable of showing that I have no facts, given that I am repeatedly posting those facts.

parados wrote:
You simply deny any argument that you disagree with and pretend it doesn't exist.

No. When I see an argument that I disagree with, I quote the argument and then follow it with an explanation as to why it is wrong.

parados wrote:
If one can own a gun then guns are not banned. You don't get to argue that guns are banned then pretend that the fact that guns can be owned is not a fact worth paying attention to.

Did I argue that guns were banned, or did I argue that the British government has the ability to deny an individual from having a gun?

At any rate, if I see no relevance to a point, I think I do get to ask how that point is relevant.

parados wrote:
No, it wasn't. The right is as follows:
Quote:
That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law.

Passing legislation reventing the ownership of guns unless they are licensed repeals no part of the right.

That is not the nature of the Firearms Act of 1920 though.

The 1920 law gave the government the power to deny an individual the ability to have any gun.

parados wrote:
Guns are not the only arms under that right.

Certain types of guns are the main point however, given that they are the primary infantry weapon.

parados wrote:
As allowed by law is still relevant to the right.

Not in the UK. The right no longer exists there.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:14 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm not aware of any. Often, blatantly apparent facts were not attested to in historical documents because it was assumed that everyone already understood them.

So your argument is that something exists because no one bothered to ever say it exists. By that logic I could argue that the fact that there is no law banning guns proves that guns were banned because we can simply assume everyone knows it.

Quote:
That is incorrect. I have repeatedly supported it with the context in which the right was created.
Except you haven't because the right does not say it nor do the court rulings. You have simply claimed something exists without any evidence.

Quote:

That is incorrect. I did not create the history of England.
You mean the history that never states that guns are a standard infantry weapon that all Englishmen are allowed to have in their homes? You did create that history because it isn't in any historical document.

Quote:
Pointing out history would count as providing historical support would it not?
Let me know when you actually do point to the actual history and not your made up version of it.

Quote:

The history of England is something that very much existed.
Yes, it does exist and it states this about the right to bear arms you claim was created in 1689.

Quote:
That history says nothing about guns being allowed for all Englishmen but puts 3 restrictions that would prevent them from having guns.
1. It puts a religious test to bear arms.
2. It puts a Condition test to bear arms.
3. It puts the test of only the arms that are allowed by law are allowed.
You have yet to show how any of those tests would allow for all Englishmen to have guns for their defence. The laws of the time that your court cases overturn decades later show that guns were not allowed for most Englishmen under the game laws in existence at the time and for over 50 years to follow.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

The only fact that remains is you have presented no evidence to show this to be a fact. It is your opinion and completely unsupported by any historical evidence. Repeating that statement several times doesn't provide any more evidence.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Was there any reason to prevent them from having pikes?
So you admit that pikes are arms? If pikes are arms, does that make guns a narrow section of arms?

Quote:

It is a fact that England always required the general populace to have standard infantry weapons.
No evidence to support this. It is not a fact but merely your opinion.

Quote:
No one is capable of showing that I have no facts, given that I am repeatedly posting those facts.
Posting something repeatedly doesn't make it a fact. You have posted no evidence to make it a fact. It is merely your opinion. Since you claim it is a fact, it is your responsibility to provide us with real evidence. Simply repeating it is not evidence. I am curious how England could require something but never publish that anywhere and it is not mentioned in historical documents. That doesn't sound like a fact to me. It sounds like you making **** up.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Did I argue that guns were banned, or did I argue that the British government has the ability to deny an individual from having a gun?

Let's look at some of your statements -

Quote:

That is incorrect. As the right is all about standard infantry guns, a ban on all guns repeals the right.

Quote:
This does not change the reality that they no longer have the right to have guns.

oralloy wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
So, to be clear, parliament couldn't ban guns until it did. Is that about right?

Yes.

Quote:
Their power to ban guns only came when they used their power to pass laws, and created a new law that gave them the power to ban guns.

Quote:
That only justifies narrow bans that don't impact the purpose of the right. It would not authorize a broad ban that undermines the entire point of the right.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:52 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Says nothing about the gun being a standard infantry weapon.

parados wrote:
Nor does it state that all person should have a gun.

That is incorrect.

"they do not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence"

parados wrote:
Nor does it state that guns can't be banned by legislation.

Welcome to England. The will of the majority as expressed by the vote of Parliament reigned supreme.

parados wrote:
Goes directly to the point that guns were banned under game laws for many decades after the EBR which you claimed wasn't true.

It wasn't true. After the English Bill of Rights, game laws did not prevent people from having guns.

parados wrote:

parados wrote:

That is incorrect.

"a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family"

parados wrote:

Welcome to England. The will of the majority as expressed by the vote of Parliament reigned supreme.

parados wrote:

parados wrote:

That is incorrect.

"a Gun may be kept for the Defence of a Man's House, and for divers other lawful Purposes"

parados wrote:
Goes directly to the point that guns were banned under game laws for many decades after the EBR.

After the English Bill of Rights, game laws did not prevent people from having guns.

parados wrote:

parados wrote:

That is incorrect.

"A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is travelling or going for the ordinary purposes of business."

parados wrote:

parados wrote:
The words are very clear. They say nothing about the right to carry the standard infantry weapon of the day.

parados wrote:
You don't get to add things not in the ruling.

Depends. I can't change the ruling. But if I can provide evidence for facts that the ruling did not address, I get to do that.

parados wrote:
Your ipse dixit is still without fact.

Well it sure sounds like they are applying the right to everyone.

I'm not sure it matters either way though. If I am wrong and they really did constrain the right to Protestants, it isn't like there weren't any Protestants in England.

parados wrote:
If we apply the ENTIRE section which allows arms as allowed by law, it shows how specious your argument is.

That section was about rules for how people should possess guns. It did allow narrow bans of selected types of non-infantry guns. It was not authorization of a ban broad enough to undermine the entire point of the right. And the point of the right was to allow people to have standard infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
You seem to keep forgetting that part of the EBR.

I've just spent page after page after page explaining that clause to you. I am doing the exact opposite of forgetting it.

parados wrote:
Lack of seeing a fact doesn't mean the opposite is true

True. But the plain meaning of their words sure sounds like they applied the right to everyone.

If I am wrong though, and they did restrict the right to Protestants, no big deal. There were a LOT of Protestants running around in England.

parados wrote:
You haven't presented a convincing case that the judge is applying the right to all religions.
You haven't presented a case that the judge applied the case to anyone other then the persons involved in the case which is what the judge is ruling on specifically.

The plain meaning of the judges' words presents that case.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:53 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Still not a fact since you still have presented no evidence to support it.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:57 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

It wasn't true. After the English Bill of Rights, game laws did not prevent people from having guns.

If that was the case then why are you presenting cases from decades later where people are on trial for having a gun in violation of the game laws?

People of certain conditions were prevented by law from having guns under the game laws. You have presented several court cases that prove that to be true otherwise those persons would never have been charged under the law.
parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:58 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

No facts in evidence. Repeating this does not make it true.
It is your responsibility to provide evidence to support your claim. You have not done so. Your claim is not a fact. It is your unsupported opinion.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 12:31 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
So your argument is that something exists because no one bothered to ever say it exists.

No. My argument is that something exists because of the historical context that clearly demonstrates its existence.

parados wrote:
Except you haven't because the right does not say it nor do the court rulings. You have simply claimed something exists without any evidence.

That is incorrect. I have provided evidence of people being required to have standard infantry weapons. It was earlier in the thread and it has been a few pages since we addressed it, but that does not change the fact that I have provided it.

For example, Post: # 6,271,644:
http://able2know.org/topic/344120-3#post-6271644

"Concern to maintain archery went right to the top of English society and dated back to at least 1363, when the first of a succession of ordinances and parliamentary statutes had commanded that Englishmen should spend their Sundays and holidays not in pointless amusements such as football, bowls, tennis and dice, but in shooting at the butts.2"

"Henry VII and Henry VIII defended the longbow with statutes banning the possession of crossbows and handguns by the lower orders; they promoted it with further statutes ordering every householder to keep bows, not only for himself, but for his servants and children, and commanding every adult and adolescent male to use them.4"

"Under Henry VIII proclamations reinforced the message, repeatedly commanding local officials to do all in their power to promote archery and suppress the unlawful games that threatened to supplant it.5 In 1528 Henry drove the point home with a reminder that it was archery practice that …"

http://past.oxfordjournals.org/content/209/1/53.extract

parados wrote:
You mean the history that never states that guns are a standard infantry weapon that all Englishmen are allowed to have in their homes? You did create that history because it isn't in any historical document.

There are records from the time of Elizabeth I of price controls so that people could better be able to afford guns for militia duty. If the British government did not think that guns were infantry weapons, they would not have been trying to make them affordable for militiamen.

Note page 112 of this book. Page 132 of this PDF version:
https://ia600205.us.archive.org/11/items/cu31924027939101/cu31924027939101.pdf

Page 133 of this PDF version:
https://ia802604.us.archive.org/1/items/socialhistorype00robegoog/socialhistorype00robegoog.pdf

They limited the price of a "callyver" (caliver, a type of early gun) to a maximum of 20 shillings.

They limited the price of a "harquebuss" (arquebus) to 8 shillings.

Advancing to the bottom of page 114 of the same book, there is even more British support for the gun as an infantry weapon:

"In 1599 the bows and arrows finally disappeared from the muster rolls.† The musket gained ground; no more, perhaps, by its value, than by the special recommendation of the deputy lieutenants, 18th April, 1596, signed Sir Matthew Arundel, Sir George Trenchard, and Sir Ralph Horsey, 'to encrease armour and weapon, especially corslet and musket.' Nichols writes, that at Leicester, the queen, in 1598, ordered the bows and arrows to be refused and supplied with muskets."

Then on page 115, the book shows a survey of a militia's weapons in 1591 and 1599. In 1591 that militia had 26 men armed with calivers. By 1599 the same militia had a much more formidable 49 men armed with calivers and 65 men armed with muskets.

There was no record of anyone saying that this militia should give up their muskets and calivers because guns were no good for infantry fighting.

I might further add that when the queen gave her speech about having the heart and stomach of a king of England, she did not demand that militiamen give up their calivers and arquebuses in favor of other weapons.

Finally, the British government declared the Brown Bess as their official infantry gun from 1722 until 1838.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

It is hard to find a better endorsement of the musket as an infantry weapon than having the government make it their official infantry weapon for more than a century.

parados wrote:
Let me know when you actually do point to the actual history and not your made up version of it.

I've been referencing actual history continuously throughout this entire thread.

parados wrote:
Yes, it does exist and it states this about the right to bear arms you claim was created in 1689.
Quote:

That history says nothing about guns being allowed for all Englishmen but puts 3 restrictions that would prevent them from having guns.
1. It puts a religious test to bear arms.
2. It puts a Condition test to bear arms.
3. It puts the test of only the arms that are allowed by law are allowed.

Except for the possibility of limiting guns to Protestants, none of those tests prevented people from having the standard infantry weapon of the day.

parados wrote:
You have yet to show how any of those tests would allow for all Englishmen to have guns for their defence.

That is incorrect. I have repeatedly explained how they allow exactly that.

parados wrote:
The laws of the time that your court cases overturn decades later show that guns were not allowed for most Englishmen under the game laws in existence at the time and for over 50 years to follow.

That is incorrect. Game laws were not used to disarm people after the passage of the English Bill of Rights.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 12:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
The only fact that remains is you have presented no evidence to show this to be a fact.

That is incorrect. I posted such evidence earlier in the thread. In my previous post to this one I reposted it.

parados wrote:
It is your opinion

This is an opinion: I think it is good that people have the right to have standard infantry weapons.

This is a fact: People have the right to have standard infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
and completely unsupported by any historical evidence.

That is incorrect. There are ample records showing that England used to require people to have infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
Repeating that statement several times doesn't provide any more evidence.

True. But repeating a factual statement is a good response to the repetition of a statement that is incorrect.

parados wrote:
So you admit that pikes are arms?

Of course.

parados wrote:
If pikes are arms, does that make guns a narrow section of arms?

No. Guns are a pretty broad section of arms.

parados wrote:
No evidence to support this. It is not a fact but merely your opinion.

"Concern to maintain archery went right to the top of English society and dated back to at least 1363, when the first of a succession of ordinances and parliamentary statutes had commanded that Englishmen should spend their Sundays and holidays not in pointless amusements such as football, bowls, tennis and dice, but in shooting at the butts.2"

"Henry VII and Henry VIII defended the longbow with statutes banning the possession of crossbows and handguns by the lower orders; they promoted it with further statutes ordering every householder to keep bows, not only for himself, but for his servants and children, and commanding every adult and adolescent male to use them.4"

"Under Henry VIII proclamations reinforced the message, repeatedly commanding local officials to do all in their power to promote archery and suppress the unlawful games that threatened to supplant it.5 In 1528 Henry drove the point home with a reminder that it was archery practice that …"

http://past.oxfordjournals.org/content/209/1/53.extract

parados wrote:
Posting something repeatedly doesn't make it a fact.

Luckily facts take care of themselves in that regard.

parados wrote:
You have posted no evidence to make it a fact.

That is incorrect. I have posted such evidence earlier in the thread, and reposted it here in this post.

parados wrote:
It is merely your opinion.

A few paragraphs up in this post I gave a demonstration showing the difference between facts and opinions.

parados wrote:
Since you claim it is a fact, it is your responsibility to provide us with real evidence.

True. A responsibility that has been fulfilled.

parados wrote:
Simply repeating it is not evidence.

True. But a repeated correct statement is a good way to respond to a repeated incorrect statement.

parados wrote:
I am curious how England could require something but never publish that anywhere and it is not mentioned in historical documents.

Given the setting where they had for centuries required everyone to have infantry weapons, and the fact that the right was created as a backlash against Protestants being denied the ability to have infantry weapons, it just never occurred to anyone that it would not be automatically understood that this right was about the possession of infantry weapons.

parados wrote:
That doesn't sound like a fact to me. It sounds like you making **** up.

I've posted ample history showing that they used to require people to have infantry weapons. The fact that a bit of reasonable deduction is required to figure out what weapons the right is talking about is no major problem.
0 Replies