Use of "would" in conditionals, especially, in the first (if) part

sam853

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:15 am
Please read below 3 versions of same kind of statement and help me figure out which version is correct. Just for information, please imagine that Below statement is being given by a person who is telling people about his past :

Version 1 :: If it would rain, we would find another shelter until cops came and chased us out

Version 2 :: If it rained, we would find another shelter until cops would come and chase us out

Version 3 :: If it rained, we would find another shelter until cops would come and chased us out

Thank you all in advance :-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 372 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:53 am
None of them.

If it rained, we would find another shelter until cops came and chased us out.
contrex

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:57 am
The 'would' in the phrase 'we would find another shelter' is not conditional, it is habitual. We can use 'would' to refer to habitual or repeated actions in the past. Every Saturday I would go on a long bike ride. The verb ('go' in this example is the base (infinitive) form. If we also wish to talk about how we continued that action until something happened, we use the simple past - Every Saturday I would go on a long bike ride until I became tired. Often when I was a child I would eat candy until I felt sick.

0 Replies

sam853

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 06:11 am
@contrex,
Thanks Contrex. You mean to say that "would" in "If it would rain" is not correct? And It should be "When it rained" as per your opinion, right? . I mean Even if the speaker is telling about reoccurrence? Speaker meant that whenever it rained i.e.rains on multiple occasions and what if he also meant that police chased them but they would again return and hence police had to.come again and again . So, if police had to come over and over then is the following correct:: "Police would come and chase us out " because poice would come often ? And in the same way, would it be correct to say that "If it would rain" as it rained on multiple occasions?

Or you would be sure that your version , which is, "If it rained, we would find another shelter until cops came and chased us out" is correct even after the reoccurrences?? Thanks.Your help will be highly appreciated
contrex

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 06:34 am
@sam853,
sam853 wrote:
You mean to say that "would" in "If it would rain" is not correct?

Yes, I do mean to say that. using 'would' in that way is non-standard, conversational, informal US English.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/34299/if-i-would-go-there-i-would-be-in-trouble-correct

Quote:
And It should be "When it rained" as per your opinion, right?.

Yes, it should be, and that is not just my 'opinion'.

Quote:
Speaker meant that whenever it rained

There you go. Your own words.

Quote:
So, if police had to come over and over then is the following correct:: "Police would come and chase us out " because poice would come often ?

Yes. If (whenever, or each time) it rained, we would hide, and the police would chase us out

Quote:
would it be correct to say that "If it would rain" as it rained on multiple occasions?

It is not correct, as I have already explained.

Quote:
Or you would be sure that your version , which is, "If it rained, we would find another shelter until cops came and chased us out" is correct even after the reoccurrences??

1. I am sure.
2. Even after the recurrences (not 'reoccurences')
3. Only use one question mark.
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:31 am
I cannot imagine an American, even a poorly educated speaker of a regional dialect, would say "If it would rain . . . " as in the example.

EDIT: The formal English would be: "If it were to rain, we would . . . etc." The informal would be: "If it rains, we would . . . etc."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:34 am
Example three, though, is hilariously inept.
0 Replies

sam853

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 05:23 am
@contrex,
Hi Contrex! Thanks for your help. I am now pretty clear but there is one last thing I would like to confirm though. If I don't want to leave the part where it says that police would come and then after coming police would chase them out. I mean in your suggestion below you have mentioned that 'If it rained, we would hide and then police would chase us out" but I would like to include that "police came" and after that they chased them out. So would it be correct to say that "If it rained, we would find another shelter and then police would come and chase us out" ?

And what if we use "until" instead of "and then" ? Does it change anything? Can it still be said the same way? I.e. "If it rained , we would find another shelter until police would come and chase us out"

I am not a native English speaker and that is why I am trying to clear my doubts as finely as possible. And I really do appreciate your help. Thanks.
contrex

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:27 pm
@sam853,
sam853 wrote:
So would it be correct to say that "If it rained, we would find another shelter and then police would come and chase us out" ?

Yes.

Quote:
Can it still be said the same way? I.e. "If it rained , we would find another shelter until police would come and chase us out"

No. Until police came.
sam853

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:06 pm
@contrex,
Thanks a lot........you were really helpful! 😊
0 Replies