Senator Paul Wellstone Dies in Plane Crash

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 03:43 pm
I wanted to post this here when I first learned of it, but was literally too shaken to remember how to post a new topic. So upsetting, on so many levels.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/25/plane.crash.minn/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,487 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:13 pm
I hope you are feeling better now sozobe.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 05:46 pm
I was very upset to hear the news of Sen. Wellstone's tragic death. He was a rare man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 10:32 pm
Huh, I posted a longish response which disappeared, but something goofy happened with the net connection in general.

Anyway -- this all hit me harder than I expected. It's certainly sad, but something about the familiarity of the players and personal connections has made this especially gut-wrenching for me. My little cousin goes to school with one of the grandsons, my best friend's father was a senator who got out of politics just as Wellstone was getting in, etc.

I'm much better now though, Craven, thanks.

Swimp, a rare man indeed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:19 am
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but the investigation of the crash is taking some early curious turns. You always have to think, "could this be true?"
Could be far more interesting than the prosecution of the snipers. I wonder how many complaints we will see on Abuzz because of the ballot substitution even though it is lawful in that state?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:23 am
I did mean to say something about Wellstone and especially some of the Republican tributes to his individuality. Of course, the radical conservative will secretly (well, sometimes not so secretly if you've been visiting some of the politica threads by the Wingnuts on Abuzz) gloat over the death of a family. Their values are so warped beyond understanding that I have to log out of any threads posted before I have to take a shower!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:52 am
Lightwizard- Yeah, I know. It is getting to the point where I am going less and less on Abuzz. Until I can find a civilized thread to become involved in,
I have to wade thru all that mean spirited partisan garbage.

To think that someone would be happy about a death of a family because of a political advantage, makes me want to puke! Mad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:54 am
Rest in Peace, Senator Wellstone!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:14 am
It was touching to see the number of people on both sides of the aisle that expressed genuine love for this man. Our own Sen. Harken broke down and cried.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:20 am
These misanthropes who disquise themselves as devout Christians are what is wrong with our society. They're lost in the dogma of the Old Testament and have no understanding of the teachings of Christ. I makes one wonder about the hierarchy of the churches they belong to. They have almost zero sincerity -- it reeks of what we used to call "fuggheadedness" in science fiction fandom.
0 Replies