What is Aleppo? Gary Johnson foxed by Syria question

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you think either myself or ehBeth don't know the situation in Aleppo has been going on for years? A whole lecture at us, throwing Bush at us, grrrr. I think this guy was caught short in immediate time with a word. He might also re his immediate grasp of Aleppo now.

Have you ever been on tv?

I have, snort.

ehBeth and I agree on lots of considerations but so do others. We likely disagree here and there. You are tending to bloviate.

I like you, but don't insult me.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 03:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
edit - if he knew the name of the place, he might have panicked about what he did or didn't know. Mere second to respond. But, to me, it sounds like he didn't get the word at all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 03:25 pm
My feelings about the presently leading candidates is such that he wouldn't have to have heard of Topeka to get my favorite. So far, the only other choices have been bad and worse.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 03:33 pm
@roger,
I see your point.
I'm for Hillary Clinton by the skin of my teeth, but, I tend to brush.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
But he was excellent at cutting brush. Maybe if we had a president who knew how to steal money from citizens by promising them an education in his tRump University?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:33 pm
@RABEL222,
???
RABEL222

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 12:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Bush, good at cutting brush but a horrible president.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:53 am
@ossobucotemp,
You're very forgiving of ignorance, and now I'm not allowed to criticise a politician unless I've run for office or appeared on television myself.

So much for freedom of speech in the land of the free.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 03:02 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

throwing Bush at us, grrrr.

We didn't throw Bush at you. You threw him at us, and we've got an unprecedented refugee crisis in Europe and Jihadi terrorism as a result.

Gee Whiz, thanks America.

Being caught with a word? That word, which was pronounced correctly btw, is the centre of an ongoing humanitarian crisis. It like a religious leader being caught with the word Christ. "Oh yeah, that Jesus guy."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 03:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
now I'm not allowed to criticise a politician unless I've run for office or appeared on television myself.

So much for freedom of speech in the land of the free.

Of course you are allowed to criticize any politician you want; and someone else is allowed to criticize your criticism if they think it ain't right. That's all that happened here, so what does freedom of speech have to do with it? Freedom of speech isn't the right not to be criticized for what you say, you know that as well as anyone.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:07 am
@nimh,
Would a Dutch politician, running for high office, be let of the hook so easily for not knowing what Aleppo was?

I think not, and false arguments about running for office and being on TV wouldn't hold any water either. I've criticised one politician, but you'd think I'd attacked all America judging from the way this news has been received.
nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:19 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not arguing against your position on Johnson's error. I'm arguing against your invocation of the freedom of speech when you're confronted with some people on an internet forum expressing criticism of your posts. Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being criticized by other posters. And since you regularly criticize other posters here for their comments much, much more harshly than you were criticized in this thread, your high dungeon about it seems a tad unserious.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:24 am
@nimh,
I don't mind being criticised, but I think being on the telly or running for office are rather spurious arguments against criticising a politician. Politicians are the people we should be criticising, they're the ones running for office. In short I found it a rather lame excuse to stifle debate, but I accept I may have gone a bit over the top with my rhetoric.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:26 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
your high dungeon about it seems a tad unserious.

That's an eggcorn. Dungeons are not high, they're very low, almost subterranean.

Quote:
high dudgeon - a feeling of intense indignation (now used only in the phrase `in high dudgeon')

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/high+dudgeon
nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:27 am
@izzythepush,
OK Smile
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:28 am
@nimh,
I accept I can be a right stroppy bastard, and have fallen foul of eggcorns myself. Tenderhooks was one of them.
nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:28 am
@izzythepush,
Ha! Fair enough, learned something new. Two things even, because I'd never heard of "scorn" before. Cool.
nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:31 am
@nimh,
Not "scorn", "eggcorn"'. Autocorrect apparently hadn't heard of it either.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:35 am
@izzythepush,
Wait, tenderhooks isn't right either? Well, jeez. It's tenterhooks apparently. So three new things, and it's not even 1 PM yet.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:50 am
@nimh,
That's the problem with eggcorns, they're repeated so often they become established.

Dave Gorman runs through a few of them.

0 Replies