What is Aleppo? Gary Johnson foxed by Syria question

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 11:13 am
@ehBeth,
Sounds like a pretty standard pronunciation to me. I've never heard a different pronunciation of Aleppo to be honest. How do you pronounce it?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmm, I didn't hear the questioner (Page Not Found, the BBC said, but it might just be my Mac).

Ah, memories - I've specified Aleppo pines lots of times.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for the clip - That's close to how I say Aleppo, except that the interview seemed to make it two words: A Leppo.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
He might have one of those ac cents, like the Welsh, who some times pause in the mi del of words.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not going to vote for him but I would say he made a nice recovery. I havent heard it pronounced before. I have read it often and might or might not recognized the pronunciation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Perhaps because we have a lot of Syrians here, we usually hear the Arabic pronunciation where you can hear/feel the h at the beginning. It shouldn't sound as hard or halting as the first run. The interviewer's second go at it really confused me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:34 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
except that the interview seemed to make it two words: A Leppo.

that was the first, bad , run

the second go at it really divided it up

it would have helped if he'd said city or something in front of it

A Leppo?

Aaaa Leap Oh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:36 pm
In any case, I think it's silly to go after this. Mr. Johnson has enough quirks in his campaign plan that even noting this is a pfffffffft.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:49 pm
@ehBeth,
agree. I figure he's a bright guy, rather like that fellow from Massachusetts, Weld. A friend in New Mexico seems to like him and the friend isn't stupid by a long shot, we just disagree. Johnson was our governor at some point in time (I'm new here, always will be, even as time passes by).
izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 12:04 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

agree. I figure he's a bright guy,

Just not bright enough to keep up with current events before interviewed in front of the nation.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 01:54 pm
@izzythepush,
That comment was absolutely unfair.

__

I actually came back from another site to post ... just heard another news report of current activity in the region .... Aleppo ... pronounced Elleh poh
izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Take your sanctimonious cobblers elsewhere. I'm not interested.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:05 pm
I'm not in the mood to track back on posts, but, Izzy, you mentioned something he should have known was happening that was just happening in immediate time, or relatively immediate - I only saw that news (whatever it was, memory fuzzy) on my computer a few hours before you complained about his missing it.

Have you ever run for office? I haven't (Thor forbid) but I've had several friends from regular life who did run and did win. All of them beset by time and stuff.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:08 pm
I'm not in the mood to track back on posts, but, Izzy, you mentioned something he should have known was happening that was just happening in immediate time, or relatively immediate - I only saw that news (whatever it was, memory fuzzy) on my computer a few hours before you complained about his missing it.

Have you ever run for office? I haven't (Thor forbid) but I've had several friends from regular life who did run and did win; and one or two associated that weren't my personal friends but acquaintances. All of them beset by time and stuff.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Nope.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Aleppo has been ongoing for years, it's not something that's just happened like a bombing or something like that. Anyone seeking to lead the country should at least be aware of it. I'm amazed how relaxed you all are about such gross ignorance. This is why you end up electing idiots like Dubya, he probably doesn't know where Aleppo is either, (eben now!)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
For more than five years, the Syrian people have suffered a catastrophic series of wars that have killed or injured hundreds of thousands of people and displaced millions.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
It's a jump for people to go from governor to president, or even senator for president, etc.
I don't think the guy is an idiot. I don't agree with him on the majority of his ideas. He's, in a way, in a learning mode.

I'm not relaxed, but it's Trump I'm not relaxed about.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:37 pm
G W Bush didn't know **** about such things, but he became president anyway.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
True.
0 Replies