Sharpton: "We're Not Stupid" -- ???

revel

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:07 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel, in the world of the anti-Bush liberals, I suspect they could devote the entire federal budget to education, and it wouldn't be enough.
Quote:
The states have not been spending all the federal money they have been allocated. Did you miss that too?
Throwing more and more money at a failed system will not fix it.

I guess I did miss that, do you have a link?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Have a business appointment right now, but I'll find one when I get back.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Have a business appointment right now, but I'll find one when I get back.

OK

In any event, it is clear that we see government in general from opposing sides. You see the government as something out to take away your freedom and I see the government as "we the people" forming together so that we will be as big as the big guys.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:44 pm
Damn, BPB! That's rough!

McG! Damn. It's Sofia!

I worked in the state mental health instituion with a huge predominantly black staff. I went to school re black issues and realities.

Revel-- re your vision of govt-- I think maybe you see govt as a place where people get what they need--and most conservatives see it as the institution responsible for creating an environment where we all have the same chance at success and happiness.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:29 pm
"I worked in the state mental health instituion with a huge predominantly black staff."

Beating mental patients with a staff may have been acceptable at Charenton, but it is no longer allowed here in the US. Just because your staff is made from mostly black ebony doesn't make it any more acceptable than beating mental patients with a staff made teak.

Cease and desist!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:32 pm
LOL!!
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:33 pm
I meant to say "made of teak."

What's the difference between a piece of firewood and Joan of Arc?

One's made of wood; the other is Maid of Orleans.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:35 pm
Oh...

You should have stopped while you were ahead.

<hee>
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
< Laughing >
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:57 pm
Okay here's the first two accounts I googled up re states returning federal education money. There are lots and lots like this:

Quote:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- States will receive another hefty increase in federal No Child Left Behind Title I education aid later this year, despite the fact that many are still sitting on unspent Title I funds appropriated for their use as long as three and a half years ago, according to new figures released today by the House Committee on Education & the Workforce. Since No Child Left Behind was signed into law, states will have received an average increase of 42% in federal Title I aid, the report shows.
http://edworkforce.house.gov/press/press108/second/01jan/nclbreport011404.htm
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:49 pm
I am not feeling well at the moment, but I doubt seriously that states would not use money, I am betting that there is more to the story. I hope someone comes along and rescues me from having to look up stuff on my own as I am really not that good at it. But if they don't, I will do so at the first opportunity.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:53 pm
Lash wrote:
Damn, BPB! That's rough!

McG! Damn. It's Sofia!

I worked in the state mental health instituion with a huge predominantly black staff. I went to school re black issues and realities.

Revel-- re your vision of govt-- I think maybe you see govt as a place where people get what they need--and most conservatives see it as the institution responsible for creating an environment where we all have the same chance at success and happiness.

I am tired of this discussion I have really said all I can on the subject other than to restate my position that government help is not a bad thing and my view of the goal of the government is the same as the one you stated for conservatives.
0 Replies